Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beckham for the Olympic Squad

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples opinions on this?

Seems like its a done deal.

Is he one of the 3 best over 23's from the home nations not playing in a major championship this summer?

Better than Bale? Bellamy? Johhny Evans?

Even Andy Carroll would be a better bet.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by car54)
    Even Andy Carroll would be a better bet.
    Oh.. so.. this is you just taking the piss and not attempting to post anything worthwhile?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see Beckham in an England (team GB) shirt again personally.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a massive pool of players to choose from. Carroll isn't exactly in form. Haven't seen Beckham play for a while, although he may be a useful guy to have come off the bench for a dead ball situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Carroll would be above becks at the moment.

Playing in a proper league, 2 winners in the last week. Becks is on the beach.

No doubt about it. But lets no go off track.

should becks be there on merit?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taurus)
    Beckham will get called up, as fans would love to see him on the Team GB team. The FA will then sell loads of shirts with his name on the back, and lots of tickets for the football making a lot of moneys.
    football tickets will sell regardless which useless waste of space ****er puts on a shirt.

The England team is useless.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by car54)
    Carroll would be above becks at the moment.

Playing in a proper league, 2 winners in the last week. Becks is on the beach.
    Hahahahaha

Cheers for the laugh
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beckham will get called up, as fans would love to see him on the Team GB team. The FA will then sell loads of shirts with his name on the back, and lots of tickets for the football making a lot of moneys.
    Team GB shirts have sod all to do with the FA and any money spent on tickets goes to the Olympics, nowhere else. The FA merely condone the use of their players.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    football tickets will sell regardless which useless waste of space ****er puts on a shirt.

The England team is useless.
    Yeh fair enough tickets will sell, but they will make quite a lot of money through shirt sales. Well they would in comparison to a quite a few of the other players.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Team GB shirts have sod all to do with the FA and any money spent on tickets goes to the Olympics, nowhere else. The FA merely condone the use of their players.
    Ahh okay I didn't know
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would love to see Beckham playing in the Olympics, obviously he's not as good as he once was but his work rate is still pretty good, and also because I don't think you can have more than 3 over 23 players (could be wrong), his experience would help a hell of a lot.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay I didn't know
    Yet you felt compelled to make a big song and dance about it anyway? You had no idea how the thing worked yet you couldn't wait to criticise it. A bit of research into the subject would have killed you?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Yet you felt compelled to make a big song and dance about it anyway? You had no idea how the thing worked yet you couldn't wait to criticise it. A bit of research into the subject would have killed you?
    I don't think two lines could be classed as a big song and dance....Just saying if it was the FA in charge they would've done everything to maximise revenue. For instant, that's what they do in the FA cup by playing the semi final in the same stadium that the finals in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1))
    There's a massive pool of players to choose from. Carroll isn't exactly in form. Haven't seen Beckham play for a while, although he may be a useful guy to have come off the bench for a dead ball situation.
    What?

He scored two winners in a week and has been playing pretty well by his standards, it's the most in form he's been for Liverpool. Who even knows what his best form is now? 6 months in the PL when we bought him... :rolleyes:

Yeah Beckham's a good one, though getting picked above J.Cole, Crouch, Bellamy, Adam, Defoe, Owen...?? Time will tell. The age resctriction thing is total bull****. Why is that rule in place?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    The age resctriction thing is total bull****. Why is that rule in place?
    Pretty sure it was something FIFA made the IOC do, so that it wouldn't 'compete' with other international games and so it would better suit the Olympic ethos, or something like that.

EDIT: been in place since the '92 games - the point at which they allowed professionals to take part.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beckham won't be playing at the Olympics. His name is just on the list to have a "big name" on there and to add a bit of sensationalism before the games. It wouldn't surpise me though if he was brought in as a coach or as someone to motivate the team while not playing a game
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    He's still got it!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    Epic goal. I have no problem with Beckham, and I wouldn't mind seeing Owen either...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so who would be your 3?

For me.

Bale.(think he is just over)
    Bellamy
    Evans.

I'd like to give these lads from the lesser nations a go at a major tournament.

Possibly Giggs too if he wanted to.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.