The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Ronnie all the way
Reply 341
Ronnie should take it but it was good to see Ali fight back. The three in a row definitely changed the game a bit and Ronnie in his current form shouldn't get complacent.

But it changed the match from game over to an outside shot, and of Ali can grab the first couple in this session, his confidence will leap.
Haway Ronnie!
Original post by Mo-Amin
Ronnie should take it but it was good to see Ali fight back. The three in a row definitely changed the game a bit and Ronnie in his current form shouldn't get complacent.

But it changed the match from game over to an outside shot, and of Ali can grab the first couple in this session, his confidence will leap.

Too little, too late. Ronnie was coasting. You can tell he's not putting 100% in to it, his concentration has just been okay; missed the odd ball, safety good but not having to be great etc. He hasn't needed to be at his best. Carter's negative tactics were his downfall, and coupled later with missing several pots, he was doomed.

They're showing that boxers handshake again, where Ali tried to psyche Ronnie out. What was that about. I can hear Ronnie saying in his head "like I give a **** mate, I can't be bothered. I'm here cos I can't be bothered. How you gonna scare me away? I don't wanna be here either, but whilst I'm here I'll kick your ass...cos I can't be bothered!!" lol
Amazing!! There goes the championship balll! wooooo!!!
Well in Ronnie. He's looked untouchable all tournament and beat off a difficult run to the final with Neil Robertson. Looking forward to see what he will do next in the season.
Reply 346
Original post by silent ninja
Too little, too late. Ronnie was coasting. You can tell he's not putting 100% in to it, his concentration has just been okay; missed the odd ball, safety good but not having to be great etc. He hasn't needed to be at his best. Carter's negative tactics were his downfall, and coupled later with missing several pots, he was doomed.

They're showing that boxers handshake again, where Ali tried to psyche Ronnie out. What was that about. I can hear Ronnie saying in his head "like I give a **** mate, I can't be bothered. I'm here cos I can't be bothered. How you gonna scare me away? I don't wanna be here either, but whilst I'm here I'll kick your ass...cos I can't be bothered!!" lol

True, true. He's been so calm and in control it was inevitable really. Very well played Ronnie.

Haha I was thinking that too, just stupid really.
Reply 347
Original post by Gary Barlow
Well in Ronnie. He's looked untouchable all tournament and beat off a difficult run to the final with Neil Robertson. Looking forward to see what he will do next in the season.

:yy: :biggrin:!
Reply 348
Well done ronnie, literally unplayable at his best. Surely the greatest underachiever of all time?
Original post by silent ninja

Ronnie won the next 4 frames LOL.

Congrats Ronnie, best of luck to Carter hopefully he can win it someday.
Original post by f1mad
:yy: :biggrin:!

Quite, Robertson was my tip to win pre-tournament and Ronnie beat him 13-10 in a tough match. Stevens also played very well, much better than Carter in the final, but still lost 17-10 to O'Sullivan. Carter will be disappointed he just didn't play as well in the final as he did in the rest of the tournament, missed a lot of long pots.
Average final. Both players played their B or C game for most of it. I think that will eat away at Carter. He didn't catch Ronnie at his best and he did have loads of chances but he blew it.
Original post by Lyrically
Well done ronnie, literally unplayable at his best. Surely the greatest underachiever of all time?

Probably. When you analyse every facet of the game (safety, potting, positional play, tactical etc) then it's difficult to see where he has a weakness. He's definitely amongst the very best of all time in all of those areas. Then you add the fact he does it all with a sprinkle of flair and you see why they call him a genius.

Unbeatable perhaps?

Maybe he has underachieved, but I don't think he would say so. His motivations and reasons for playing don't seem to be to gather records and achievements. He seems more driven by enjoyment and entertainment, and more recently perhaps the drive to prove something to himself.

I think that would be Matthew Stevens. He had a good world championship.
Original post by Raiden10
Quite, Robertson was my tip to win pre-tournament and Ronnie beat him 13-10 in a tough match. Stevens also played very well, much better than Carter in the final, but still lost 17-10 to O'Sullivan. Carter will be disappointed he just didn't play as well in the final as he did in the rest of the tournament, missed a lot of long pots.

Very true. The Robertson match was the key. Matthew Stevens was playing very well too (seems like a nice guy, hope he wins some other titles), and he beat both of them. Ronnie had the tougher route to the final for sure. Very deserved title. Even Ebdon-esque tactics couldn't spoil the party.
Reply 356
Original post by TheMagicRat
Average final. Both players played their B or C game for most of it. I think that will eat away at Carter. He didn't catch Ronnie at his best and he did have loads of chances but he blew it.

Tbh I think with the hectic snooker schedule itself, they probably suffered from fatigue somewhat which would've had an effect on their performances.
Original post by Muscovite
Snooker is undoubtedly the most tedious assault on joy and consciousness ever to have stalked this and any other world

You clearly missed the Beijing 20,000m walking race.
Snooker is undoubtedly the most tedious assault on joy and consciousness ever to have stalked this and any other world

I'd be curious to know if you have ever won two games of pool in a row.

It's awesome. Been watching it since I was 4. I guess when you don't 'see' the game it's kinda boring (because then all you're waiting for is a miss), but there's actually a lot going on.

Quick Reply

Latest