Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

c2 geometric series

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    a geometric progression has a positive common ratio, its first terms are 32,b,12.5 how do you find the value of b
    could you please show step by step instructions so i know what technique to use when answering similar questions
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you know two consecutive terms of a gp you can find the value of r by dividing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    If you know two consecutive terms of a gp you can find the value of r by dividing
    they arent consecutive
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i misread 12.5 as 12, 5...

Instead say

b/32 = 12.5/b..... both sides are the ratio r

solve for b
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisah4295)
    they arent consecutive
    From your post, it implies they are. Is the first term 32, with the second being b and the third being 12.5? Consecutive means 'in order', so 1, 2, 3 or similar.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to know how to prove the formula of sum to infinity in C2?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buongiorno)
    Is it necessary to know how to prove the formula of sum to infinity in C2?
    no, you only need to know the formula
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    write the series down and under the first term write A, AR under the second, AR^2 under the third and so on. you have the first and third terms so that A and AR^2, so divie the third by the first and you're left R^2. square root and you have the common ratio
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But why use a formula if you don't know how it works? Waste of math in my opinion! And the formula is dead simple!

Ok, so take the sum of n terms of a sequence starting with a and common factor r.

Sn = a(r^n -1)/(r-1)

Multiply top and bottom by (-1), Sn = a(1 - r^n)/(1 - r)

Now think about it... what happens when n goes to infinity? Well... if r>1, then r^n gets bigger and bigger to infinity. Same thing when r<(-1) (but negative), so Sn goes to infinity!

Now what happens if r=1? It becomes a(1-1)/(1-1). But wait... we can't divide by 0! So this doesn't work.
    With r=(-1), this gets really weird, because when n is even, it becomes a(1-1)/(1- (-1)) = 0.
    But when n is odd, this becomes, a(1-(-1))/(1-(-1)) = a. But which is infinity? Even, or odd? So we don't really know. This is undefined.

What if -1<r<1 ? Well... then r>r^2>r^3>....r^n>...., so when n goes to infinity, r^n becomes 0! :O If we plug that in, we get Sn = a(1-0)/(1-r) = a/(1-r)

Therefore, when |r|<1, Sn = a/(1-r).

See the truth is, if you don't understand what you're doing in math, you WILL get a LOWER grade, and you WILL have trouble. For example, I don't have to memorize formulas like that, because I know how to prove it! So if I REALLY get stuck, I can just quickly prove it, half in my head, half on paper, in like 2 mins. And then you'll use the formulas that you got many times and eventually... POOF! Its hammered in your subconscious. And this takes a LOT longer to happen, if you just try to learn the formula.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.