Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B435 - Media Privatization Bill 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    B435 - Media Privatization Bill 2012, internetguru

This bill is aimed at privatising all media within the UK. This bill is designed to reduce the tax burden on its citizens as they are already struggling to make ends meet.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Privatisation of the BBC and state owned media
    (1) The BBC and any other state owned media in its entirety will be sold to any company/person or persons.
    (2) The sale should take place no later than December 2012.
    (3) All proceeds of the sale will be used at the government's discretion.

2. Scrapping of the TV License
    (1) Citizens are not required to purchase a TV License in order to view television.
    (2) TV Licenses will not be sold or bought anywhere across the country.
    (3) All remaining TV licenses are not refundable.

3. Extent and Timing

(1) This Bill may be cited as Media Privatization Bill 2012.
    (2) This Bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends throughout the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Privatise the BBC, are you MAD???????????????

This is another Bad Bill from a Crap Minister
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Privatisation would generally be spelled with an S in the UK. See for example;

Budget (Scotland) Act 2003 asp 6 (Scottish Act)
    Schedule 1 THE SCOTTISH ADMINISTRATION

Finance (No. 2) Act 1997 c. 58
    Part I THE WINDFALL TAX

Appropriation (No. 2) Act 1997 c. 57
    Schedule B SUPPLEMENTARY, 1997-98
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Even if you were to sell the BBC, a time limit shouldn't be put on it were we to try to get the best offer. I think that we should look at the license fee and what we can do about that with regards to reducing it potentially, but no to privatising the BBC.

(Original post by Morgsie)

I expected better from you Morgsie than to call someone a crap minister. I don't do it to your team, so please don't do it to the team that I am part of.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for privatising it but I don't think this is the right way. I'd rather we ONLY have the part about abolishing the license fee. How the BBC then wish to respond is up to them - they could 'go private' themselves and create adverts, they could sell different bits and pieces, they could do further syndication etc. I don't care - it should be up to them.

What I don't think, though, is that a role of government is to ensure people have access to entertainment, by exporting money from people through threat of force. I hope this doesn't become an issue about the quality of its output, because that's really not the point.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keep it nationalised but sell advertising space to replace the license fee.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. The BBC needs reform, but it remains an important public asset. Also, it's privatisation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Privatisation would generally be spelled with an S in the UK. See for example;

Budget (Scotland) Act 2003 asp 6 (Scottish Act)
    Schedule 1 THE SCOTTISH ADMINISTRATION

Finance (No. 2) Act 1997 c. 58
    Part I THE WINDFALL TAX

Appropriation (No. 2) Act 1997 c. 57
    Schedule B SUPPLEMENTARY, 1997-98
    Oops must have sent over the wrong version of it. Here is the final version

Media Privatisation Bill 2012
    This bill is aimed at privatising all media within the UK. This bill is designed to reduce the tax burden on its citizens as they are already struggling to make ends meet.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Privatisation of the BBC and state owned media
    (1) The BBC and any other state owned media in its entirety will be sold to any company/person or persons.
    (2) The sale should take place no later than December 2012.
    (3) All proceeds of the sale will be used at the government's discretion.

2. Scrapping of the TV License
    (1) Citizens are not required to purchase a TV License in order to view television.
    (2) TV Licenses will not be sold or bought anywhere across the country.
    (3) All remaining TV licenses are not refundable.

3. Extent and Timing

(1) This Bill may be cited as Media Privatization Bill 2012.
    (2) This Bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends throughout the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd mutualise it, but not privatise. No.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Hey I know how to spend £3.5billion of the public's money each year, how about we set up a bunch of television channels and radio stations. Yeah who needs welfare, education and healthcare when we have television.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    I'd mutualise it, but not privatise. No.
    If state owned television is so great why haven't you proposed the nationalisation of all the tv channels?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    If state owned television is so great why haven't you proposed the nationalisation of all the tv channels?
    Because competition is also good. All things in moderation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because competition is also good. All things in moderation.
    I don't see the benefit of having a state owned media company. How does this help the people?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think having a relatively unbiased source of news is good. Having lived in other countries with no state owned TV company, it's incredible how biased and misleading many news channels end up being. I know the BBC isn't perfect in that regard, but it is a damn sight better than most.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is hard to champion competition whilst simultaneously supporting an enormous entity that doesn't have to worry about how much it spends, advertising, ratings or any of the other things that the real companies have to worry about. I thought we all liked equality of opportunity.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

How many times did you plead with the Speaker when you felt people were being rude/mean/bullying you?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

You absolute ****
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think having a relatively unbiased source of news is good. Having lived in other countries with no state owned TV company, it's incredible how biased and misleading many news channels end up being. I know the BBC isn't perfect in that regard, but it is a damn sight better than most.
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    I think it is hard to champion competition whilst simultaneously supporting an enormous entity that doesn't have to worry about how much it spends, advertising, ratings or any of the other things that the real companies have to worry about. I thought we all liked equality of opportunity.
    As it happens, I'm actually okay with selling off some parts of the BBC, as long as BBC News and all the informative aspects of the BBC are kept entirely intact. I just feel accurate and unbiased information definitely qualifies as a public good.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely there's an intermediate step? Make it so that TVs can't receive BBC unless the owner has a TV license. There are some issues with iPlayer too which might be more difficult to deal with, but they'd have to be addressed by any private company buying parts of the BBC anyway.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe with others that the BBC does need reform but I am opposed to Privatising it. The Beeb are moving things a lot for example Sport and BBC Breakfast from Salford.

I would like to apologise for my comments earlier.
Updated: April 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.