Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Abu Qatada has done nothing wrong

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    In October 2002, the then Home Secretary, David Blunkett, detained Abu Qatada indefinitely without trial under Part 4 of the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 (ATCSA), which at that time provided for such detention.

He has spent over 10 years in prison without ever being charged or convicted of any crime.

He has yet to receive a fair trial and the UK govt has consistently breached his human rights. If the UK govt can't be expected to respect human rights, how can an authoritarian country with a record of abusing them like Jordan?

The only reason Jordan want him is for political reasons. The Amman government objects to his past political activities and his ideological leadership of an Islamist reform group that wants Islamic government in Jordan. Jordan imprisons their political opponents. They put in place severe limitations on the right of citizens to change their government peacefully. It is rife with corruption and severely limits free speech. Jordans scores 6 in Freedom House's Freedom in the World 2011 report, where 1 is most free and 7 is least free. This earned Jordan "Not Free" status.

The UK government says it has received "assurances" from the Jordanian government that the evidence they have tortured people to get will not be used against Abu Qatada. Seriously? So they're just taking the word of a totalitarian country who tortures people to get evidence?

Except it doesn't matter. Jordan has already held a trial and sentenced Abu to life imprisonment with hard slave labour, without Abu even being there to defend himself. I see fairness is at the top of their priorities.

Why are we cooperating with this terrible regime to give someone what is obviously going to be an incredibly prejudiced show trial in a kangaroo court? Jordan is a serial offender for breaches of fair trial standards and external interference in judicial decisions. They don't even have trial by jury. They'll even prohibit the press from reporting on it. Palestinians and islamists are severely discriminated against and persecuted. Abu Qatada is both a Palestinian, an Islamist and a political activist.

The fact that the UK government can label anyone they want a 'terrorist' and then imprison them without a trial for as long as they want, truly means we are now living in a totalitarian dictatorship. After working tirelessly as a counter-terrorist agent for MI5 in the 90s, the UK govt have now stabbed Abu in the back.

Let's be honest. As soon as Abu gets there he will be tortured mercilessly and end up admitting to every crime they tell him to.

This is a huge miscarriage of justice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. None of this affects me. Anyone who says it does is caught up in unnecessary troubles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TBH I'm just sick of seeing his smug face plastered everywhere in the news. Don't care what happens to him much but just get it over with!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that the real miscarriage of justice is a person such as him being allowed in live in this country. The same country he spends his days preaching against. Quite frankly, I would be pleased if he got extradited and executed, one less radical brainwasher on this planet.

It's people like you who cause the courts to favour the rights of the criminals rather than the victims.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    I don't care. None of this affects me. Anyone who says it does is caught up in unnecessary troubles.
    First they came for the Islamists
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't an Islamist
    Then they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YahRah)
    I think you'll find that the real miscarriage of justice is a person such as him being allowed in live in this country. The same country he spends his days preaching against. Quite frankly, I would be pleased if he got extradited and executed, one less radical brainwasher on this planet.

It's people like you who cause the courts to favour the rights of the criminals rather than the victims.
    Wow, people exercising their freedom of speech to criticise the government shouldn't be allowed to live in Britain? Sounds just like a liberal democracy that does. Doesn't sound like Nazi Germany at ALL....
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you know but... Defending Muslims who have been put in jail for 7 years without any charges or trials against them, makes you an extremist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sources please.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YahRah)

I also don't understand why if he hates this country so much, he is so determined to bloody well stay here?!
    He preaches hate against this country, encourages terrorism etc and has the cheek to think he should be allowed to stay here :mad:

Send him back where he came from.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Then they came for me
    Well done, you can alter a famous poem. Why should an immigrant who preaches hate be allowed to live in our society? I'm sure he'll be much happier in Jordan.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Don't think you know but... Defending Muslims who have been put in jail for 7 years without any charges or trials against them, makes you an extremist.
    Exactly this stuff just makes me sick : http://www.independent.co.uk/​news/u...s-1688618.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then they came for me
    This is actually similar to the poem "Not My Business" by Niyi Osundare
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    He came here illegally in the first place. That alone is reason to get him to ****
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then they came for me
    Well this is the thing - groups get targeted because humans simply enjoy pigeonholing these groups with characteristics they don't like. Why would anyone target me? I don't belong to a group. I identify as me. Also name me a situation when some strange force has targeted several groups one by one until they died, like that poem suggests. You're probably thinking 'ah.. you just don't get it' but that pithy little poem doesn't mean anything when it has no relevance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, people exercising their freedom of speech to criticise the government shouldn't be allowed to live in Britain? Sounds just like a liberal democracy that does. Doesn't sound like Nazi Germany at ALL....
    What was wrong with Nazi Germany?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** the ECofHR, just send him Jordan anyway, other countries would. Things like this is why i hate GB so much.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.O.V.E)
    I also don't understand why if he hates this country so much, he is so determined to bloody well stay here?!
    He preaches hate against this country, encourages terrorism etc and has the cheek to think he should be allowed to stay here :mad:

Send him back where he came from.
    If he goes to Jordan, he'll likely be tortured and not given a fair trial.

Send him to Afghanistan instead
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    If he goes to Jordan, he'll likely be tortured and not given a fair trial.

Send him to Afghanistan instead, give him to Taliban
    Evidently, he has done something against Jordan, giving them grounds to put him on trial. Our legal system has no bearing on Jordan's legal system. If torture is part of their system, then fair enough? I don't understand why people seem to think GB law is universal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abu Qatada is the epitomy of what is wrong with Britain today.

A Muslim, who came into this country illegally, and preaches against the values and community of Britain, is allowed to voice his opinion in our courts! a system which he says to despise!

Send him on his way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then they came for me
    First they came for the terrorists, their leaders and those who fund them and I spoke out because I didn't do my research.

Then a few hundred more innocent people were killed.

Then a few millions more that could have helped people were spent on this convicted terrorist. (Yes, he was convicted of involvement in several bomb plots in Jordan back in 1999, with another in 2000)
Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.