The Student Room Group

Wearing a bra to bed - bad for you?

Scroll to see replies

wearing a bra to bed causes cancer????

whats next eating mushrooms makes your nails grow backwards

the ****e they pedal these days
Reply 21
A subtle Parks and Rec reference? On my TSR?
Going braless from time to time helps strengthen the muscles which support the breasts, leading to perkier breasts. As a guy, I am all for this.
Original post by Ezekiella
I do this pretty much every night but I read that it increases the risk of breast cancer - is that actually true? I know I probably shouldn't but I feel weird without the support (am a 32D), is there anything I can wear instead? Or is there only a risk if you wear non-underwired bras?

Yeah, I've heard that... I don't know if it's true though.

I'm a 32D as well and I don't feel like I need that much support, personal preference I guess though. I think you can get some like vest like pj tops that have support in them. Maybe look out for something like that?
Reply 24
I'm surprised hasan4life isn't all over this thread.
Reply 25
I am indeed. Watch Community next :yy:
Reply 26
Original post by JohnC2211
Going braless from time to time helps strengthen the muscles which support the breasts, leading to perkier breasts. As a guy, I am all for this.

Is that actually true? I lift weights anyways so I'd guess I have fairly strong pectoral muscles. :/
I have to, it's much comfier :smile: But if I'm at a sleepover with my friends I'll sleep with it on.
Reply 28
I'm 32C and I don't sleep with a bra on, I find it quite uncomfortable and I like the feeling of not wearing anything under my t-shirt when I'm in bed. They do need to breathe once in a while :P but I guess it's all down to what you find most comfortable! :smile:
I do this pretty much every night but I read that it increases the risk of breast cancer - is that actually true? I know I probably shouldn't but I feel weird without the support (am a 32D), is there anything I can wear instead? Or is there only a risk if you wear non-underwired bras?

You can get pyjama tops with little, like, 'shelves' that support you, they're pretty good :tongue:
I wear a bra as little as possible, only wear one if I go out or have guests over. I'm a 32E and my boobs are a lot perkier than my friends who wear bras all the time and have smaller boobs. I think a lot of it is just down to genetics.
Original post by eff01
Girls it's always best to take your bras off. Same with boxers, never sleep with them on, feels good to feel the freedom imo

You wear both boxers and bras?
Original post by Deema
No, it doesn't cause cancer. But wearing a wired bra to bed makes causes inflammation and irritation in the areas that the breast tissue is being poked by the wire when your whole weight is on it. Although if you are still developing make sure you've been measured and fitted properly because an ill-fitting bra can lead to bad/weird growth.

I have 32GG's, the support you need standing up is different from the support you need lying down. If you visit the Bravissimo site, there's a whole section on how to take care of your boobies when you want to sleep. Also, trust me if you take your bra off after a long day you will visit a new kind of heaven.

Though I agree with what you said, chronic inflammation and irritation can lead to cancer, which may be what the information she read was referring to. But it's all just scare mongering really.
Original post by Pheylan
A subtle Parks and Rec reference? On my TSR?

cannae believe it

Reply 35

my girlfriend always takes hers off before she goes to bed.
Reply 36
Can't properly assess the situation without pics. Sorry.
Is that actually true? I lift weights anyways so I'd guess I have fairly strong pectoral muscles. :/

Indeed, some scientists carried out a study in athletes I think, one group wore a bra and one didn't for a period of 6 months, and then at the end the ones who didn't wear a bra had a lower measurement from nipple to shoulder (hence perkier breasts).
Reply 38
If you feel uncomfortable without a bra on, Sports bras are a good alternative for sleeping in.
Reply 39

Trololololo. Being serious, I doubt there are realistically any effects, I'm sure doing whatever you have to to get a comfortable night's sleep is the most important factor. Although, as a man, I urge you to release them from their boobie zoo.

Quick Reply

Latest