The Student Room Group

OCR F453 Advanced Computing Theory (June 12th 2012)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bemz
I've literally studied so much content as revision as we had an incompetent teacher all year so I've basically had to teach myself, using an online textbook and the jake wright notes i rewrote my own notes, it's taken ages. I'm worried that I haven't really done a past paper yet and the exam is soo close :/ Planning to pack out 3/4 past papers in quick succession, hopefully my knowledge makes up for my lack of practice. I'm sh*tting myself. Have to get a B atleast but I'm unsure of what my grade for my coursework will be.

Similar situation, my teacher left after doing 1 topic and the replacement had never taught the OCR computing before. He just pointed us to teachICT and read off the website and made it far more complex than it needed to be.

I still cringe when I remember his lesson on floating point binary. I like maths a lot so I was ok, but he made it stupidly convoluted.

Good luck everyone. Hope there's a good markscheme :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Reply 21
Original post by Bemz
I've literally studied so much content as revision as we had an incompetent teacher all year so I've basically had to teach myself

I totally know how you feel with the bad teacher, my teacher hasn't even looked at the sylabus and seems to know absolutley nothing about computers.

Also it doesn't help that there seems to be no good textbooks or resources availible for this course.

Here are links to the textbook and some notes and sites I have created here

Hopefully it will be usefull to someone
Good luck with the exam tomorrow :smile:
Reply 22
What do you recon will come up ?? done a few past papers and they seem alright.
Reply 23
Original post by marland
What do you recon will come up ?? done a few past papers and they seem alright.

There's always one about architecture, translation, language definition and binary. The rest are harder to be specific about

I've been doing papers and on all of them I've gotten between 79 and 86, which I'm happy with. 80's what I'm aiming for.

I think there will be some stuff on; Scheduling, interrupts, memory management and maybe something on the boot file. A couple of pages for floating point binary, a page on UML, a page on databases. Hopefully some stuff on library routines. I hope stacks / queues don't come up.
Reply 25
Stacks and queues are simple though, I'm dreading a big written question on databases or something.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
i need to get 80 ish marks in this exam, really dont see it happening tbh :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by A.J10
Honestly, my knowledge of the subject isn't what's going to lower my marks so much as not knowing what the hell it is they want me to say :angry:

THIS!
It's stupid, having to learn exactly what the mark scheme wants you to say from past papers, it becomes more of just a memory test, than a "do you know the theory" test

Anyways, that Jake Wright's revision guide helped me out so much, that I'm feeling much better about tomorrow

Good luck to everyone! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Nagillum
THIS!
It's stupid, having to learn exactly what the mark scheme wants you to say from past papers, it becomes more of just a memory test, than a "do you know the theory" test

Anyways, that Jake Wright's revision guide helped me out so much, that I'm feeling much better about tomorrow

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

You do not need to learn word for word the past paper answers because the mark scheme the exam board publishes for schools and students to use isn't the full mark scheme that examiners use when marking papers. OCR only publish the ideal answers and these are meant to be used to your focus answers.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 29
Original post by tom95
You do not need to learn word for word the past paper answers because the mark scheme the exam board publishes for schools and students to use isn't the full mark scheme that examiners use when marking papers. OCR only publish the ideal answers and these are meant to be used to your focus answers.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Thank you for reminding me of that. Makes me feel a lot better about this exam.

Reply 30
A little thing missing from Jake Wright's notes.
Reduced Instruction Set Computing //\\ Complex Instruction Set Computing.

RISC
-Usually faster due to smaller electrical circuit (less transistors)
- Less cycles required to do simple tasks
- Reduced instruction set
- Easier to program
- Example include mobile phones etc.

CISC
- Usually slower due to larger electrical circuit
- Multiple cycles required to carry out complex tasks
- Larger instruction set
- Used in general computers.
Reply 31
Original post by Aadil
Hey there, do we need to know as part of Data structures Lists - I know Stacks, Queues and trees come up and i went on the Specification and i couldnt find it mentioned anywhere. Thanks

:borat::borat:
:borat:
Reply 32
How did everyone find it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
Pretty Good all in all. I mean a few silly questions, some of the 4 markers were kinda 3 point responses.

They didn't have any on the Fetch Execute Decode Cycle but I'm pretty sure I got an B, Probably an A.

The binary part I got 5/32 as the answer.
Reply 34
It was a good Paper i thought but i was disappointed they missed out content i was hoping for such as Searching and Sorting Algorithms since i find them good.
Grade Boundary predictions and what did everyone get for the BNF
Reply 35
Original post by fusionet24
Pretty Good all in all. I mean a few silly questions, some of the 4 markers were kinda 3 point responses.

They didn't have any on the Fetch Execute Decode Cycle but I'm pretty sure I got an B, Probably an A.

The binary part I got 5/32 as the answer.

I also got 5/32 for the first one and 0110/0101 for the second (i think )
Reply 36
Original post by Aadil
It was a good Paper i thought but i was disappointed they missed out content i was hoping for such as Searching and Sorting Algorithms since i find them good.
Grade Boundary predictions and what did everyone get for the BNF

For the BNF ones I did:

<CODE> ::= <CHAR>|<CHAR><CODE>

<COMMENT> ::= {}|{<CODE>}

<STATEMENT> ::= <CODE>|<COMMENT>

Something like that, I can't remember exactly what each one was/is called.

The rest of the paper was good I think, I think the database one was fairly different to prior to older papers and I wasn't expecting it.
Reply 37
Original post by KS8
For the BNF ones I did:

<CODE> ::= <CHAR>|<CHAR><CODE>

<COMMENT> ::= {}|{<CODE>}

<STATEMENT> ::= <CODE>|<COMMENT>

Exactly what I did for the BNF, although I remember the statement part being worth 3 marks, which seemed odd to me.

Also got 5/32 for one part of the binary and put something about needing 5 bits for the mantissa on the last part on binary.

Overall I thought it was OK but also missed a couple questions, and got stumped by secondary key on the database Question.
Reply 38
Original post by AlexChurch
Exactly what I did for the BNF, although I remember the statement part being worth 3 marks, which seemed odd to me.

Also got 5/32 for one part of the binary and put something about needing 5 bits for the mantissa on the last part on binary.

Overall I thought it was OK but also missed a couple questions, and got stumped by secondary key on the database Question.

Yeah I agree, I saw it was worth 3 marks and read the question and information about 5 times to make sure if I needed more but I'm sure what we put is correct. The binary one I also got 5/32 but the others were more difficult. On the ones where you had to explain why it wouldn't work, you had to write each in pure binary and then say how long the mantissa was. Then reduce the mantissa to 4 bits as in the question format; so the value stored was not actually correct. Something along those lines I think.
Reply 39
I did very similar in the BNF, except I created 2 new definitions.
<CHARS> ::= <CHAR> | <CHAR> <CHARS>
And one for the curly brackets.

What did everyone put for the queue??

And for the addtional entity, did you guys do CUSTOMERS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending