The Student Room Group

Not sure if my finger is broken or just badly bruised...Your opinions?

OKay, so yesterday I was training at the gym with a medicine ball. I was throwing it against the heavy bag for power training, as it bounced down off the bag, I tried to grab it and it bent my middle finger as I done so. Since then my finger is swollen by the joint and it hurts when I bend it. I can bend it reasonably okay, but I cannot make a fist due to the stiffness of the finger. It has mobility, so that's why I was unsure of it being broken. It is easily visible that it's bruised from under the skin. I did not want to go to the doctor as it's probably something I can fix myself.

I don't believe it is broken, but what do you guys think?
It's impossible to determine whether it's broken without an x-ray.

A true fracture or break usually will be painful, but don't be fooled by a finger that has some range of motion and dull pain. Depending on their stability, some fractures may hurt more than others. My friend broke her thumb and went around her normal business for a week before being told by the doctor.

Don't worry about asking for real help. Don't risk people telling you that it's just bruised here, only to find out later it was broken (though it may seem unlikely).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
'probably something I can fix myself'

And you're asking on here?

lal.
Reply 3
GP.

Scratch that. A GP surgery isn't likely to have an xray facility. Go to A&E.
Reply 4
I did basically the same thing not that long ago, but remembering the advice my sister got when she broke her finger, I didn't see much point in going to the doctor, broken or not; the GP told her there's no point x-raying it or anything as broken fingers usually don't need any more than a splint made of a lollypop stick and tape with the finger beside it for a few days :dontknow: I did that myself at home and it's fine now.... though I guess it'll be interesting to see if there are any medics here who can confirm or deny what we were told =P
Reply 5
Original post by tamimi
GP.

Scratch that. A GP surgery isn't likely to have an xray facility. Go to A&E.

Hmm.. I wouldn't say go to A&E unless your finger is deformed, a minor injury clinic would be a much better choice. Frankly all they will do, broken or bruised is strap it to the next finger unless you have completely ****ed it up, which most likely you would know about since it would probably be bending a weird way.

I'm not a doctor but as a goalkeeper broken fingers 8+ times.
Make a splint, tie to adjacent finger and leave to heal I'm afraid.

I was sure I broke my little finger during sport yonks ago, went to A&E waited for ages, reg + consultant bickered over the x ray and I was sent home in a splint that I could have made with some zinc oxide tape and my ring finger.

When swelling & bruising went down and I had more mobility I wriggled until I felt normal and it was fine ever since. Even did D of E bronze award with my splint on. :ahee:

If it feels dreadful, swells and goes a dodgy colour see your doc.
Reply 7
Original post by I<3LAMP
If it feels dreadful, swells and goes a dodgy colour see your doc.

To be fair, those are quite normal signs of a break? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Idle
To be fair, those are quite normal signs of a break? :tongue:

Oh I mean massive swelling, loads of pain, fever, and going black. :smile:

Mine was swollen but it went down, hurt (obviously) and was a strange shade of green/blue but I think if it was black I'd see the doc!
Reply 9
Sounds like the same thing my mum has. Go to the GP, or get yourself an x ray and they'll be able to sort it from there.
Reply 10
Original post by Jelephant
I did basically the same thing not that long ago, but remembering the advice my sister got when she broke her finger, I didn't see much point in going to the doctor, broken or not; the GP told her there's no point x-raying it or anything as broken fingers usually don't need any more than a splint made of a lollypop stick and tape with the finger beside it for a few days :dontknow: I did that myself at home and it's fine now.... though I guess it'll be interesting to see if there are any medics here who can confirm or deny what we were told =P

It's a little bruised up, but I don't think it could be broken because it didn't take a big enough hit. It bent a little from the weight of the ball, but I quickly took my hand away. Could there be a chance it's just strained or badly bruised?
Reply 11
Yesterday my friend pushed me he was rushing to door to trick or treat and I fell straight on my finger it really hurts I'm not sure if I have broken it or badly bruised it :-/
To be honest I remebr once I bend my thumb badly and the joint was very bruised, had difficulty writing for about 3 months seriously though get it xrayed if your scared
This is really late but it's for anyone who goes on this website. I had the exact same thing today. I wasn't sure whether it was broken or not, although it felt limeit was. I went to the hospital and got an x ray and it turned out it wasn't broken. All they do is put tape around your fingers, they say it's what you would get if your finger was broken.
Original post by Anonymous131111
This is really late but it's for anyone who goes on this website. I had the exact same thing today. I wasn't sure whether it was broken or not, although it felt limeit was. I went to the hospital and got an x ray and it turned out it wasn't broken. All they do is put tape around your fingers, they say it's what you would get if your finger was broken.

Usually, so long as there isn't any bad angulation or rotation of the fracture that could affect hand function, so always worth checking it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd suggest you'd get it checked out to be on the safe side, similar thing happened to my thumb, I didn't get it checked out as I thought it was ok but it set wrong and was actually broken, caused me more trouble a few years later!
Original post by Idle
Hmm.. I wouldn't say go to A&E unless your finger is deformed, a minor injury clinic would be a much better choice. Frankly all they will do, broken or bruised is strap it to the next finger unless you have completely ****ed it up, which most likely you would know about since it would probably be bending a weird way.

I'm not a doctor but as a goalkeeper broken fingers 8+ times.

did you continue playing? If so what did you do in the way of protecting it?
Hi all, this thread is really really old so I'm going to close it now :h: :yy:

Latest