The Student Room Group

7 year old girl, with no hands wins national handwriting award

Scroll to see replies

For her age, she has stunning handwriting. Better than the majority. By the time she gets to my age, probably before it - she will truly have mastered the art. :tongue: - and she has NO hands, imagine if she did; sheer potential of some people. :daydreaming:
Original post by urosion91
Its not actually "hand" writing though is it but fair doos.

I think they did say "penmanship" though in the video:tongue:
That's pretty standard handwriting tbh.

I don't care in the least that she has no hands. It's still standard.
Original post by Bobifier
The thing I find most intriguing about this article is that there exist handwriting awards for first graders in America.

And that they have a $1000 prize for it.
Reply 24
Makes me feel like a retard.
Reply 25
Original post by de_monies
I thought this was a really nice story, where she's only in "first grade" and seems to be able to write much better than myself

http://gizmodo.com/5903688/first+grader-with-no-hands-wins-national-handwriting-award?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Her handwriting is here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/first-grader-born-without-hands-wins-penmanship-award-180647263--abc-news-topstories.html

And it really does put my handwriting to shame. Hope she does well in the future. It's just amazing how she manages to write with just her arms. I mean if I was to hold a pencil between my arms, I'd just write curly lines but she manages to write much better than a lot of adults, and keeps every thing on the line

Your 2nd spoiler video on Cisco is off the hook (as is the 1st one of course too) but just ... wow what an advert. Videos like that inspire me to get off my ass and just being more enterprising, get my **** together, get a team and start building tech/apps
Very impressive!
Original post by SteveMz
Your 2nd spoiler video on Cisco is off the hook (as is the 1st one of course too) but just ... wow what an advert. Videos like that inspire me to get off my ass and just being more enterprising, get my **** together, get a team and start building tech/apps

Thanks man, but the second one was an advert more geared towards trying to appease big corporate figures, so I'm guessing that's why they put more money in to that. Saying that, I do like most of their adverts though
Nice story.

Bro.
So inspirational! :smile:

Well this is my attempt...

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

Quite proud :proud: but she's still better!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Put a smile on my face. Its remarkable how she has been able to overcome her disability.
Reply 31
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
That's pretty standard handwriting tbh.

I don't care in the least that she has no hands. It's still standard.

This is an award for people who are 7 years old. So her handwriting in comparison to a lot of children at that age is good. And considering her disability its brilliant that shes able to write like that. I'm not even bothered if there was a little bit of politics behind the whole issue (to show disable people can win stuff), her winning the award can hopefully encourage other disabled children to work hard when trying to learn to read/write.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending