The Student Room Group

EdExcel -- A2 -- Drama & Theatre Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I'm also dreading A! :frown: know what you mean about the marks! I can write essays on my own ideas, just don't give me four lines to write two concise points ahahhaa.

I ALSOOO hate section A
Does anyone have tips for how to structure each individual question? e.g answer for a) i), ii) and iii) and then the two thirty mark essays?! Our class feel completely unprepared, two weeks to go and we're still barely getting half marks... I need 100 UMS for an A and it isn't looking likely!

I'm also doing Lysistrata and Filter's production. Literally dreading it!
Reply 22
Original post by wigglesworth
Does anyone have tips for how to structure each individual question? e.g answer for a) i), ii) and iii) and then the two thirty mark essays?! Our class feel completely unprepared, two weeks to go and we're still barely getting half marks... I need 100 UMS for an A and it isn't looking likely!

I'm also doing Lysistrata and Filter's production. Literally dreading it!

yeah I have loads of stuff, I'll post it all later tonight at about 10pm
Reply 23
Heyy! I'm also doing the exam on the 31st.. Beyond dreading it! Have another exam before it that day, and 2 the day before it :frown: I'm doing Lysistrata for A+B and then Macbeth for C! Anyone got any tips for them? Ill be lucky to get the paper finished.. Timing is awfffffful!
Original post by rachbeanz
yeah I have loads of stuff, I'll post it all later tonight at about 10pm

Thank you so much!
Reply 25
Original post by wigglesworth
Thank you so much!

Sorry I forgot to post so here goes.
First have a read of examiner reports on the exam on the Edexcel website.

Section A first question - 4 markerthis is about using appropriate rehearsal techniques and applying them to the scene. Normally use two, say why they would be effective and give an example where they could also be used in the scene
How ideas are researched/developed before staging the scene.
For example:
Changes in pace/quality of movement
Tone of voice (not for stage directions)
Hot seating
Conscience corridors
Argument game
Physical representation/experience (holding back, pulling, pushing).
Improvisation or role play (off text)
Still images/tableaux
Emotional memory
Magic if

So look up some good games. Remeber don't spend too long on this question its only 4 marks

Question two - 6 markerexample question- Consider three appropriate rehearsal techniques you might use to explore the exchange between The Doctor and Woyzeck in this extract

This asks the candidate to consider the personalities of these two characters presented in the scene and to indicate ways of defining individuals through rehearsal in order to allow the individual personalities to emerge and eventually be communicated to the audience.
It is a relationship question and is about rehearsal techniques that may be used specifically in this extract. The key word is appropriate and the question is looking for a sense of understanding not just of rehearsal techniques but their purpose in relation to the question and the extract.
Candidates should offer support with specific examples from within this extract and ideas for three rehearsal techniques should be both practical and appropriate. There must be a balance in the response to be able to earn the higher level marks.
Question 3 - 10 markerexample question Explain to your performers how you intend to work on exploring the relationship between Woyzeck and The Doctor in this extract, giving reasons for your approach, supported by clear examples.

This asks the candidate to consider:
The relationship established and how this might be achieved by working through the rehearsal process.
Ways of exploring this relationship during the rehearsal to help the actors to understand it fully.
Justifying the ways of working in relation to the extract and key moments from it.
the staging of the extract (possibly) and how this will assist in exploring the relationship between audience and actor.
The question asks that the candidate is working with the actors in rehearsal and the response should reflect that.
It is about the candidate exploring the way the actors are able to impact upon audience through their characters, it is not a character study. It specifies the relationship between Woyzeck and The Doctor at the centre of the question.

Section B Essay Plan:1. Director’s Intention, justified and relevant to a 21st Century audience.
2. Where you are staging the production and who you intended audience is. Justify.
3. Refer back to the opening statement/question in order to set out your answer.

In no particular order:
4. Interpretation of key characters
5. Setting
6. Costume
7. Lighting
8. Sound

All of the above backed up with detailed, specific examples from Key scenes. Say how your ideas meet your intention and why it is relevant for your audience.
All the way through you need to refer to historical context/original performance conditions and theatre company/practitioner.

Section C - Shakespeare comparison
The most important thing about this section is having good strong links, comparing how things 'would have been done' when orignally performed (OPC: original performance conditions) and analyzing the effect this would have had on the audience. Often drawing diagrams helps to show the examiner what the play was like that you went to see. Research a lot about how plays were performed in shakesperian times, stuff like they had live musicians NOT ORCHESTRAS but just people playing live, the trapdoors in the stage, where ghosts could come up from below - hell, the less scenery: so the audience had to actively get involved more, the plays relied on 'suspension of disbelief' the actors did not often rehearse much just blocked out the plays, therefore characterization was down to actor choice, creating spontenaity (sp? haha) plays were written to be heard more than seen, it was about the craft of the language. ect, ect. and just compare to modern day and what similarities and differences they are, constantly referring to the effect on the audience and how they would have/ how they/you reacted at your production.
Sorry I forgot to post so here goes.
First have a read of examiner reports on the exam on the Edexcel website.

Section A first question - 4 markerthis is about using appropriate rehearsal techniques and applying them to the scene. Normally use two, say why they would be effective and give an example where they could also be used in the scene
How ideas are researched/developed before staging the scene.
For example:
Changes in pace/quality of movement
Tone of voice (not for stage directions)
Hot seating
Conscience corridors
Argument game
Physical representation/experience (holding back, pulling, pushing).
Improvisation or role play (off text)
Still images/tableaux
Emotional memory
Magic if

So look up some good games. Remeber don't spend too long on this question its only 4 marks

Question two - 6 markerexample question- Consider three appropriate rehearsal techniques you might use to explore the exchange between The Doctor and Woyzeck in this extract

This asks the candidate to consider the personalities of these two characters presented in the scene and to indicate ways of defining individuals through rehearsal in order to allow the individual personalities to emerge and eventually be communicated to the audience.
It is a relationship question and is about rehearsal techniques that may be used specifically in this extract. The key word is appropriate and the question is looking for a sense of understanding not just of rehearsal techniques but their purpose in relation to the question and the extract.
Candidates should offer support with specific examples from within this extract and ideas for three rehearsal techniques should be both practical and appropriate. There must be a balance in the response to be able to earn the higher level marks.
Question 3 - 10 markerexample question Explain to your performers how you intend to work on exploring the relationship between Woyzeck and The Doctor in this extract, giving reasons for your approach, supported by clear examples.

This asks the candidate to consider:
The relationship established and how this might be achieved by working through the rehearsal process.
Ways of exploring this relationship during the rehearsal to help the actors to understand it fully.
Justifying the ways of working in relation to the extract and key moments from it.
the staging of the extract (possibly) and how this will assist in exploring the relationship between audience and actor.
The question asks that the candidate is working with the actors in rehearsal and the response should reflect that.
It is about the candidate exploring the way the actors are able to impact upon audience through their characters, it is not a character study. It specifies the relationship between Woyzeck and The Doctor at the centre of the question.

Section B Essay Plan:1. Director’s Intention, justified and relevant to a 21st Century audience.
2. Where you are staging the production and who you intended audience is. Justify.
3. Refer back to the opening statement/question in order to set out your answer.

In no particular order:
4. Interpretation of key characters
5. Setting
6. Costume
7. Lighting
8. Sound

All of the above backed up with detailed, specific examples from Key scenes. Say how your ideas meet your intention and why it is relevant for your audience.
All the way through you need to refer to historical context/original performance conditions and theatre company/practitioner.

Section C - Shakespeare comparison
The most important thing about this section is having good strong links, comparing how things 'would have been done' when orignally performed (OPC: original performance conditions) and analyzing the effect this would have had on the audience. Often drawing diagrams helps to show the examiner what the play was like that you went to see. Research a lot about how plays were performed in shakesperian times, stuff like they had live musicians NOT ORCHESTRAS but just people playing live, the trapdoors in the stage, where ghosts could come up from below - hell, the less scenery: so the audience had to actively get involved more, the plays relied on 'suspension of disbelief' the actors did not often rehearse much just blocked out the plays, therefore characterization was down to actor choice, creating spontenaity (sp? haha) plays were written to be heard more than seen, it was about the craft of the language. ect, ect. and just compare to modern day and what similarities and differences they are, constantly referring to the effect on the audience and how they would have/ how they/you reacted at your production.

That post was so helpful! Thank you! +rep.
I'm doing Lysistrata and Way of the World (Congreave, 1700s) but it was still so helpful structurally! How are you guys revising for this?
Other than constant annotations and developing my Lysistrata directors interp & researching 1700s theatre I'm unsure what to do.
Reply 27
That post was so helpful! Thank you! +rep.
I'm doing Lysistrata and Way of the World (Congreave, 1700s) but it was still so helpful structurally! How are you guys revising for this?
Other than constant annotations and developing my Lysistrata directors interp & researching 1700s theatre I'm unsure what to do.

Yeah I have just got a new copy of my Woyzeck script so just going through using my old notes and annotating every scene, so i guess thats revision in some form...
Yeah I have just got a new copy of my Woyzeck script so just going through using my old notes and annotating every scene, so i guess thats revision in some form...

I'm annotating a new copy too.. Scared to start my exam copy in case I make mistakes - I want to have it clearly set out so I don't confuse myself in the exam room...

Have you tried a timed practice? Is it hard? 2 and a half hours seems so long but there's SO much to prove in this exam.
Reply 29
I'm annotating a new copy too.. Scared to start my exam copy in case I make mistakes - I want to have it clearly set out so I don't confuse myself in the exam room...

Have you tried a timed practice? Is it hard? 2 and a half hours seems so long but there's SO much to prove in this exam.

No we are doing a timed practice on tuesday of the whole thing! eeks
I have done a timed just section A before and it took me 40 mins :s So need to work on cutting it down a bit. I think in the exam I might start on either section B or C because they are worth more marks, don't want to get caught up with A, however it is tricky. Also don't worry I haven't even got a concept or idea for my own production for section B yet! oops
No we are doing a timed practice on tuesday of the whole thing! eeks
I have done a timed just section A before and it took me 40 mins :s So need to work on cutting it down a bit. I think in the exam I might start on either section B or C because they are worth more marks, don't want to get caught up with A, however it is tricky. Also don't worry I haven't even got a concept or idea for my own production for section B yet! oops

The concept is definitely something you can totally do yourself though. My school haven't started teaching Section C yet, so we're virtually self-teaching ourselves that - thank god I made the decision to get a tutor when I did! YES. Drama Tutor. Ridiculous, but I need this A and this exam is a nightmare.

I've done a Section A and B before, B I could write forever so god knows what I'm gonna do with timing there, and A took me ages too... and I only got 3/4, 4/6 and 6/10 so I need to up that massively... though my Section B I didn't finish and didn't write anything about staging and got 20 so not too awful. Wah hate this exam.
Reply 31
The concept is definitely something you can totally do yourself though. My school haven't started teaching Section C yet, so we're virtually self-teaching ourselves that - thank god I made the decision to get a tutor when I did! YES. Drama Tutor. Ridiculous, but I need this A and this exam is a nightmare.

I've done a Section A and B before, B I could write forever so god knows what I'm gonna do with timing there, and A took me ages too... and I only got 3/4, 4/6 and 6/10 so I need to up that massively... though my Section B I didn't finish and didn't write anything about staging and got 20 so not too awful. Wah hate this exam.

thats great! Well I haven't got my section A back though but all the time my marks are so varied! I did a section C which took me like 2 hours and got 22/30 but at least now I have the ideas. I literally thought this exam would be a doss like all of drama but....oh god haha
Reply 32
Original post by hbryony
Yayyyy for people doing Lysistrata for Section A and B and saw Filter's Midsummers Night Dream at the Lyric!

Sounds strange but i'm dreading section a, it's those little questions and marks that change everything!
And the timing! :|:|:|!!!
xx

We are doing exactly the same thing. Greetings fellow West-Londoner! Support QPR by any chance? :biggrin:

I'm in the process of typing up my notes and will post them here when I'm done! :smile:

My production concept for Section B is setting Lysistrata in the context of the Cold War, and the war they are trying to end is the Vietnam War. Athenians are Americans, and Spartans are Russians. The period which follows is the historical "Détente".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Got my section A mock back today and got 2/4 3/6 and 3/10 AARGH :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
thats great! Well I haven't got my section A back though but all the time my marks are so varied! I did a section C which took me like 2 hours and got 22/30 but at least now I have the ideas. I literally thought this exam would be a doss like all of drama but....oh god haha

We haven't done a mock yet, aha. Not a proper one anyway under timed/silence conditions. Might have to motivate myself to do one at home and hand it in, but that's a whole new problem!
Reply 35
Original post by Elzie
There isn't really much to learn, really. You just have to be able to think on your toes! I'm doing Othello for my section C. We went to watch the performance with Dominic West and Clarke Peters which was ace! :biggrin:

Haven't even started my Section C notes.. :| Shakespeare is so hard!! I've bought myself a few revision guides for Othello though so I can read about the themes and historical significance. Stuff that my teacher should be doing, but no such luck. :L

I've written some notes in my script about my concept, rehearsal techniques, stagecraft and things like that. I just hope the extract is good, really. If it's the wool metaphor, I think I'll cry. :'(

How about you? What's your concept like?

If it's the wool metaphor I think I'll just up and leave the exam hall. :smile: I'm obviously doing Lys. as well, anyone else think the designed-for-stupid-teens translation is dire?
Reply 36
Original post by Dalloway
If it's the wool metaphor I think I'll just up and leave the exam hall. :smile: I'm obviously doing Lys. as well, anyone else think the designed-for-stupid-teens translation is dire?

I'm kinda sitting on the fence about it! I mean, I'm glad it's less work for me but I do like analysing scripts like Shakepeare because it makes it more rewarding, you know?
Reply 37

Yes. Obviously I'm not some kind of fanatic for classically translated Virgil or anything...

Here are some useful links for Lysistrata, particularly if anyone is updating the setting to the Cold War:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19610812&id=K98jAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4iYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6078,425299
http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/Lysistrata.html
http://www.newint.org/features/1999/04/01/thefacts/
http://www.ecok.edu/news/2012_news/april_2012/lysistrata.htm
Reply 38

The grade boundary for an A was 47 in 2010, and 52 in 2011, meaning that if you replicated that mark in Section C you would only have to answer like 1 question in Section A to get an A. :smile:

I love the low grade boundaries for this exam :biggrin:

anyone else think the designed-for-stupid-teens translation is dire?

It's just horrendous!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lozvegas
The grade boundary for an A was 47 in 2010, and 52 in 2011, meaning that if you replicated that mark in Section C you would only have to answer like 1 question in Section A to get an A. :smile:

I love the low grade boundaries for this exam :biggrin:

It's just horrendous!

Please explain?
I got told the boundaries were higher to make room for possibly higher coursework/practical marks than deserved in Unit 3?
I swear I need like 62/80 for an A but I got 152/160 last year (High B) and nearly full marks on Unit 3 this year :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending