Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Football rivalries and inappropriate behaviour

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

The UK has some of the biggest football rivalries in global football, and even for more localised rivalries, the intensity is every bit as fierce. Liverpool/utd, Celtic/Ranger (for now), Norwich/Ipswich, Newcastle/Sunderland, Millwall/West Ham. The list goes on.

Anyone who's ever been to a derby will understand the passion, and often hatred, that fills the stadium during the game. But where does the line get drawn? Does this 'passion' mean it's ever ok to sing songs about, say, the Ibrox disaster? Or the Bradford fire? Or Hillsborough? or Aberfan? Is that ok?

Just trying to get an understanding of when it is ok to use the most tragic circumstances to score points over your rivals.

What are your thoughts?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    You fail to mention Liverpool/Man United which probably experiences the worst of this. It absolutely sickens me how anyone could believe it is ever 'ok' to chant about Munich, Hillsborough, Heysel etc. Sadly every football club has a minority of sub human scum like this.

If you ask me, anyone caught participating in such chants should be banned from all football grounds for life. No exceptions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You fail to mention Liverpool/Man United which probably experiences the worst of this. It absolutely sickens me how anyone could believe it is ever 'ok' to chant about Munich, Hillsborough, Heysel etc. Sadly every football club has a minority of sub human scum like this.

If you ask me, anyone caught participating in such chants should be banned from all football grounds for life. No exceptions.
    I don't think chanting about Heysel is as bad as chanting about the other two. It's still wrong but it's not celebrating death like the Munich and Hillsborough chants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

If you ask me, anyone caught participating in such chants should be banned from football grounds for life, no exceptions. There is already a precedent for this with the Crawley fan from last year.
    I did mate, it was my first rivalry!

I think the rise of 'seemingly' anonymous socal media has given voices to people who wouldn't normally say these things in public. It makes me sick to think thes people sing/post things about dead kids. I heard Leeds sing about Aberfan to Cardiff once. Horrific.
    Then the lates of course is Hillsborough and posts about 96 was not enough, and how 89 was a great year for football. These were kids as young as 10, crushed to death. Sick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    I don't think chanting about Heysel is as bad as chanting about the other two. It's still wrong but it's not celebrating death like the Munich and Hillsborough chants.
    Can you really 'rank' vileness though? Surely if you're a decent person you find singing about any death repulsive.

I get where you are coming from though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, No it's never okay to mock disasters. That's a line that should never be crossed
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty disgraceful to be honest. (I think heysel is a little different though)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never sang nor heard sang songs about the Ibrox disaster. I know of no occasion this has been sung about at Celtic v. Rangers matches, and the last silence was observed impeccably (although in the past it had been disrupted pretty abhorrently).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its horrible. And the pack mentality spurs people on. Sadly it is still heard and seen at the Manchester derbies every year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Its pretty disgraceful to be honest. (I think heysel is a little different though)
    In what way?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    In what way?
    Why is Heysel different? Because it was caused mainly by the liverpool fans, unlike Hillsborough or Munich.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is Heysel different? Because it was caused mainly by the liverpool fans, unlike Hillsborough or Munich.
    Not really. It was caused by a decrepit ground and the Juventus fans were as much to blame.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really. It was caused by a decrepit ground and the Juventus fans were as much to blame.
    Not really. It was the liverpool fans who chose to breach the fence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really. It was the liverpool fans who chose to breach the fence.
    Try and justify it however you want. Singing songs glorifying the death of people is sick.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try and justify it however you want. Singing songs glorifying the death of people is sick.
    I don't sing songs about dead people. I was just saying that its different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do the chants about Heysel glorify death? Do you even know what they are?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a great fan of the regular "I've got foreskin haven't you, ****ing jew!" from the goons. Casually racist and anti-Semitic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Not a great fan of the regular "I've got foreskin haven't you, ****ing jew!" from the goons. Casually racist and anti-Semitic.
    Where is the racism?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be the contrarian.

At the end of the day it's just songs and every team does it. I've sung about people from Fife getting bird flu, I've sung about fans of a certain club requiring to cross water to get home after the match, and my friends regularly sing about Norrie McCathie.

But on the other side there are chants about tragic 18 year old Craig Gowans. That's just rivalries.

As long as it doesn't escalate into physical violence then I think it's fine.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    But it's totally ok for your lot to sing about Sol Campbell's sexuality.

Seriously, it's handbags.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.