The Student Room Group

Should F1 cancel the Bahrain Grand Prix in protest?

Poll

Should the Bahrain GP be cancelled due to the govt massacre of people there?

This was brought up on yesterday's version of Question Time and I can't help but agree with what George Galloway, Yvette Cooper etc said on the topic

There are tanks parked less than 100m away from the track to ensure no protestors can reach the race. The actual roads they're using had 100s of people marching on them in the past few months, some people having been shot and killed their.

The Bahrain "prime minister" who's been in power unelected since 1960 is trying to use the F1 Race as a "show" to the world of how Bahrain as a country is "stable" and continuing business as usual. It is this that probably annoys me the most. By F1 going their with all their publicity/money etc it is almost a signal that, the times are normal. They ARE NOT. This is a corrupt regime that has been stealing the people's money, minute spending on serious things like education and healthcare, and now when the people say enough is enough, they shoot them, kill them- and try and pretend everything's fine. We are only serving their desire to pretend business as usual by going there.

I love F1 and of course would never want it cancelled but this is exceptional. Great Britain and a great many other countries boycotted all sporting events in South Africa during apartheid. We should be doing the same here.

Lastly, a Force India car was firebombed yesterday whilst coming off the track by protestors, surely on safety, political and moral grounds it should be cancelled?

What do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Personally I do not think such events should be given to countries where the people and the government are not able to cope with it. Take the Indian Common wealth games the broken bridge and such accidenst leads for shame for the country.

Bahrain is in the middle of a civil crisis. As much as i love the F1 i think that Bahrain is not currently ready for such a responsibility. They shoudl move it to a country that is able to cope. And when situatiions are better Bahrain should most definitely get a chance to host the F1
Reply 2
Original post by acer0951
Personally I do not think such events should be given to countries where the people and the government are not able to cope with it. Take the Indian Common wealth games the broken bridge and such accidenst leads for shame for the country.

Bahrain is in the middle of a civil crisis. As much as i love the F1 i think that Bahrain is not currently ready for such a responsibility. They shoudl move it to a country that is able to cope. And when situatiions are better Bahrain should most definitely get a chance to host the F1

This.
Reply 3
It should go ahead, we aren't aware about what wonders it could be serving the local economy. Besides I reckon the Bahrainian people just want to go back to business as normal and lead normal lives. If the GP is part of the normal year's calendar then it should go ahead.
Reply 4
I definitely agree with the economic benefits that the Bahrain F1 would bring to the country. However is it right that team members of an F1 such as Force India engineers wanting to return back to thier country having to cope eorking in such places at such volatile times?
Reply 5
Original post by acer0951
I definitely agree with the economic benefits that the Bahrain F1 would bring to the country. However is it right that team members of an F1 such as Force India engineers wanting to return back to thier country having to cope eorking in such places at such volatile times?

You only agree on the safety level?
Reply 6
NO. Martin whitmars said himself ultimateley they are a race team here to race.
Reply 7
No country should be given such a responsibility when the people and the state cannot cope. A foolish decision made by the FIA
Well now that Friday practice is underway, they can't cancel it.

In hindsight, they should have cancelled it, definitely. Bernie cares only about the money and nothing else.
Reply 9
True. Ho hum... im going to be watching it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending