The Student Room Group

101 year old is running the London Marathon on Sunday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by najinaji
I would argue that 20 years is more than enough time...

And your point is what?

Losing all respect, without taking into account of the things he has done for humanity is rather ridiculous.
Reply 21
Original post by murpo
Well done to the guy! However I am concerned he might drop dead. Will be amazing achievement if he completes it!

Hmm wait it says he moved to Britain in the 1960's but can not speak ANY ENGLISH. Now I have lost all respect for him.

I would argue that 20 years is more than enough time...

According to Wikipedia, he moved to London in 1992 at the age of 81. He doesn't even read or write his native language, so I think we can forgive him for not speaking English.
Original post by FelixFelicis
According to Wikipedia, he moved to London in 1992 at the age of 81. He doesn't even read or write his native language, so I think we can forgive him for not speaking English.

If that is true then fair enough but if he moved here in 1960 as the BBC suggests then it's wrong.
Reply 23
Original post by murpo
Yes it does, if someone wants to live in a foreign country they should learn the language of that country, it's respect.

The article states " who was born in India but moved to Britain in the 1960s"
Basically he has no respect for the country but just takes handouts.

What is his reason for not learning the language? It's been more then 40 years so he should of at least learn things!

And I can find a source to refute that: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Fauja_Singh "He is originally from India but has lived in the UK since 1992".

"1960's" is vague don't you think? Not even a specific date.

I won't even bother replying to the last bit :lol:.

You should look at the thousands of families, who are born and bred here, who do jack **** for humanity and defraud the benefits system before putting that into your argument.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by f1mad
Losing all respect, without taking into account of the things he has done for humanity is rather ridiculous.

Of course.

In that case, why move to London? If I moved to, for example, Prague, it would be expected that I would learn Czech. If I moved to Berlin, I would be expected to learn German. Whether or not I was illiterate in my native language is irrelevant.
Original post by f1mad
And I can find a source to refute that: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Fauja_Singh "He is originally from India but has lived in the UK since 1992".

"1960's" is vague don't you think? Not even a specific date.

I won't even bother replying to the last bit :lol:.

You should look at the thousands of families, who are born and bred here, who do jack **** for humanity and defraud the benefits system before putting that into your argument.

This thread isn't about those "thousands of families" though is it, feel free to make a thread about them and we can discuss that subject too :wink:
Reply 26
Of course.

In that case, why move to London? If I moved to, for example, Prague, it would be expected that I would learn Czech. If I moved to Berlin, I would be expected to learn German. Whether or not I was illiterate in my native language is irrelevant.

He moved to London to live with his son after his wife died and he had nobody else left. Do you feel like a prick yet?
Reply 27
Original post by murpo
This thread isn't about those "thousands of families" though is it, feel free to make a thread about them and we can discuss that subject too :wink:

So then why are you suggesting he is scrounging off "hand outs". Try harder mate, try harder.
Reply 28
He moved to London to live with his son after his wife died and he had nobody else left. Do you feel like a prick yet?

No...? Why would I? My point still stands. It's not even a matter of choosing whether or not to learn a language. I'm mainly baffled at how, after living in England for 20 years, he has still managed to not be even proficient in English, let alone fluent.
Original post by f1mad
So then why are you suggesting he is scrounging off "hand outs". Try harder mate, try harder.

Because this thread is about him. He is getting handouts, although he has done amazing charity work so well done to him. He is most likely a better person then me but all I'm saying is he should have respect and learn English since he moved here 20 years ago.

I wouldn't go to another country to live and just speak English for the rest of my days, I would be expected to learn their language.
Reply 30
No...? Why would I? My point still stands. It's not even a matter of choosing whether or not to learn a language. I'm mainly baffled at how, after living in England for 20 years, he has still managed to not be even proficient in English, let alone fluent.

Insular communities speaking his native language means he hasn't had the need to speak English proficiently.

You're using a death to try and win a petty argument? Classy.
Reply 32
Original post by tehforum
Insular communities speaking his native language means he hasn't had the need to speak English proficiently.

Hmm. Fair point. Though it would be a complete hassle. Even going to a shop or on a train would be an effort.
Reply 33
Original post by murpo

I wouldn't go to another country to live and just speak English for the rest of my days, I would be expected to learn their language.

Reply 34

I'm afraid is this true of some people I know....
(edited 11 years ago)
this man would have been very old at his time of moving to uk. dont see why he should be expected to learn the language and i am very for intergration on immigrant. well done for his achievement.
Reply 36
Of course.

Would you be able to become fluent in another language at 81 if you were illiterate? He probably speaks enough English to get him by - but not enough to be interviewed by the BBC.
Reply 37
Original post by RP-MRU.
Would you be able to become fluent in another language at 81 if you were illiterate? He probably speaks enough English to get him by - but not enough to be interviewed by the BBC.

You're assuming that there is some sort of educational 'saturation point' of the brain... I'm not entirely sure this exists.
Reply 38

Things aren't as easy when you get to a certain age. He was 81 for Gods sake. Maybe his memory wasn't that great? Maybe he speaks very broken English? I personally don't think it's an issue at all.
Reply 39
If I'm honest, I'm a little jelous :colondollar: I wish I'd be fit enough to run a marathon at 101.

Good on him! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending