The Student Room Group

Making a facebook status = 4 years. Rape = 5 years.

What is up with our legal system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you on about.. "making a facebook status = 4 years" at least show the newslinks...
Reply 2
Was the status, "doing a crime for which the penalty is 4 years"?
Reply 3
Original post by WTSFG
What are you on about.. "making a facebook status = 4 years" at least show the newslinks...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/16/facebook-riot-calls-men-jailed
Reply 4
Yeah what was the status? Was it a riot one?

edit: woops, seen the link now
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Let's face it, from what I have read it was hardly rape, she can't remember because she was too drunk.
What about the guy who killed that man during the riots by punching him in the head, he got 8 years and the guy that set fire to reeves corner got 11.5.
Reply 7
Original post by Idle
Let's face it, from what I have read it was hardly rape, she can't remember because she was too drunk.

Thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by Idle

I agree but the point still stands he is going to prison for the crime of rape.
Reply 9
Original post by Idle

Though she is to blame for being in the state she was, you cannot seriously believe that rape is some lawful repercussion for that?
Reply 10
Original post by internetguru
I agree but the point still stands he is going to prison for the crime of rape.

The judge probably took the circumstances into account.
Reply 11
Original post by dslc
Though she is to blame for being in the state she was, you cannot seriously believe that rape is some lawful repercussion for that?

No but as I have said in other threads.

I am very drunk and punch someone = My fault in the eyes of the law because I am mentally competent.

I am very drunk and say yes to sex = Not my fault in the eyes of the law because I am not mentally competent.
Original post by dslc

Society's still not quite past the point of blaming rape victims rather than rapists, whether it's a short skirt or being drunk or walking through a rough neighbourhood you can be sure someone's got the reason for why the woman is somehow at fault and the man was a victim of his cock
Reply 13
Original post by Idle
No but as I have said in other threads.

I am very drunk and punch someone = My fault in the eyes of the law because I am mentally competent.

I am very drunk and say yes to sex = Not my fault in the eyes of the law because I am not mentally competent.

Apologies, I hadn't read that she had supposedly said yes to it. Is this true, or just a means of making your point?
Reply 14
It is clearly a deterrent sentence. All riot sentences were very high in order to send out a message, it was quite a massive act of civil disobedience!
Reply 15
Original post by JCC-MGS
Society's still not quite past the point of blaming rape victims rather than rapists, whether it's a short skirt or being drunk or walking through a rough neighbourhood you can be sure someone's got the reason for why the woman is somehow at fault and the man was a victim of his cock

I completely agree.
The sentences related to the riots were, essentially, inflated.
Reply 17
Original post by dslc
Apologies, I hadn't read that she had supposedly said yes to it. Is this true, or just a means of making your point?

well, according to his testimony, he joined in with her consent.
The guy who brought her back was acquittted, the guy who joined later in the act was jailed.
I think if we are being honest, she obviously offered no resistance, and as one was acquitted, clearly mentally stable enough to engage in.

no injuries, no reports of her resisting, no real sign she was forced, or unable to respond.

I think perhaps the issue that she consented to a 3some was seen as far more seedy and she was less likely to have gone along with that of her own will, and more likely to have been able to turn it down. This is the only mindset of the jury which i can see rationalising the decision.
Reply 18
Original post by JCC-MGS

Saying someone made themselves vulnerable doesn't mean people condone rape. It's this same ignorance and naivety that gets people in these situations, thinking that the world is full of ponies and rainbows, and they can just do whatever they want and no one will hurt them. Obviously the rapist (or mugger, or attacker, or murderer etc) is the criminal and is at fault, does that even need to be said? The world is full of horrible people, recognise that and take precautions. That doesn't mean to say you still can't be attacked, not at all. But it does lower the odds of an attack happening, and you'll have to be the one to do that as no one else is watching your back.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Do you feel that the crime they committed (encourage riots) was less severe due to being done via the medium of facebook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending