The Student Room Group

Plagiarism

I really need some advice/opinion.
I have been recently informed by my university that one of my coursework has been suspected of plagiarism The hearing will be next week. Honestly I was shocked. I would NEVER think of doing it, i rather not give in an assignment than plagiarising. Anyways I re-checked my essay and now i realise why they are suspecting me, there are few paragraphs directly copied from few scientific papers, I have referenced them correctly, BUT i forgot to put them in " ", actually I didnt forget I was not aware of it (Ignorant on my part).
Now i am very sure my university will penalise me for this.
I am a good student, I am on scholarship, I have good grades i never intended for this to happen. Frankly I cant even sleep these days.
I am sure this is gonna come up on my transcript as an offence. Will this have a bad effect on my future applications (I am planning to apply for a PhD)? Can i give an explanation when I apply for higher studies saying that I made a mistake and it was not intentional?
I feel my career is gone down the drain!!!
Reply 1
Hey, it's worth a try. Persuade them that it was a mistake..
I'm not sure about your university but at mine unfortunately they say ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to plagiarism, we are given handbooks at the start of the year that outline how to correctly reference and they explain the consequences if we fail to do it properly. If it turns out that you are disciplined for plagiarism, it probably will show up on your transcript but there may be an opportunity to appeal, failing that if you come to apply for a PhD you could be up front and honest and explain the circumstances.

We're only human, if you did reference and forgot to put direct quotes in inverted commas with the page number it's not as severe as not acknowledging the source at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm having the same problem and I've got my meeting on Monday. I went over my coursework and saw that I referenced everything but for some reason it didn't register on the system. I always use this mode of referencing and never had this problem before so I don't know why it's coming up now, on my research proposal of all things! What was the outcome of your meeting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending