The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I Know this sounds basic but i know this is the most important thing. Personal statement. I know for Leeds they want specific things and basically want it perfect.

But I dont have a clue how to start and write it to the quality they want, How did you go about doing this??
Reply 21
Original post by .eXe
I'm not dwelling on it, I was just responding to the other guy who was talking about some posts I made a few months back when I had yet to hear from Leeds. I couldn't care less right now lol I got into the school I wanted as I am sure you did :smile:

Good to know :tongue:
Hope you have a great time at BSMS at least we both got in somewhere :biggrin:
Reply 22
[QUOTE="Richyp22;37546233"]
Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I Know this sounds basic but i know this is the most important thing. Personal statement. I know for Leeds they want specific things and basically want it perfect.

But I dont have a clue how to start and write it to the quality they want, How did you go about doing this??

Hi, that PS help document is really good, have a look, they post bad and good examples.
Reply 23
Original post by .eXe
I'm not dwelling on it, I was just responding to the other guy who was talking about some posts I made a few months back when I had yet to hear from Leeds. I couldn't care less right now lol I got into the school I wanted as I am sure you did :smile:

That's what they all say.
Reply 24
Original post by Richyp22

I think the most important thing is just to start early (even if you have to fill in work experience paragraphs later) and do loads of drafts, even if you have a couple of different angles you are thinking of going with, if you do them both you can decide what you want to go with. I would try to link most of the stuff to medicine where possible, also as everyone says its not how much work exp you have, where you went or what you saw; its what you learned from it.
I can pm you my personal statement if you want, its hardly going to get me into oxbridge but i think it has most of the stuff they're looking for
There's also personal statement helpers on here that can look over it for you :smile:
Also if you're on work experience you can ask the doctors if they could take a look at your statement and give their critical opinion of it :smile:
Also english teachers are good for spelling/grammar
Unless you're at a really good school or something, most teachers gave rubbish or harmful advice, i think you're best taking what they say with a pinch of salt, but i would show it to as many people as you can - but ask them to be harsh because otherwise they'll just say "oh that's really good" whan it can still be improved

Anyway most of what i've said can be found on the wikis here :P
Reply 25
Original post by composite
That's what they all say.

haha it was my last choice until i visited it :P

shame i'll have to pay for it :frown:
Original post by yum-yum
I think the most important thing is just to start early (even if you have to fill in work experience paragraphs later) and do loads of drafts, even if you have a couple of different angles you are thinking of going with, if you do them both you can decide what you want to go with. I would try to link most of the stuff to medicine where possible, also as everyone says its not how much work exp you have, where you went or what you saw; its what you learned from it.
I can pm you my personal statement if you want, its hardly going to get me into oxbridge but i think it has most of the stuff they're looking for
There's also personal statement helpers on here that can look over it for you :smile:
Also if you're on work experience you can ask the doctors if they could take a look at your statement and give their critical opinion of it :smile:
Also english teachers are good for spelling/grammar
Unless you're at a really good school or something, most teachers gave rubbish or harmful advice, i think you're best taking what they say with a pinch of salt, but i would show it to as many people as you can - but ask them to be harsh because otherwise they'll just say "oh that's really good" whan it can still be improved

Anyway most of what i've said can be found on the wikis here :P

I yep Anything you could send me would be grate!!! Ive loooked at the personal statement archive And ive got to say Im shocked at how short Personal statements are tbh.

Thanks for your help x
Reply 27
You guys are in for such a loooong wait, it gets depressing towards the end. :frown:

EDIT: Feel like I got negged for giving sympathy (some empathy) there...what a strange world TSR is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by -Simon-
You guys are in for such a loooong wait, it gets depressing towards the end. :frown:

EDIT: Feel like I got negged for giving sympathy (some empathy) there...what a strange world TSR is.

I postived you back up. But lets be honest 6 months wait, it would have been worth it.
Reply 29
I postived you back up. But lets be honest 6 months wait, it would have been worth it.

Oh you...thanks for that. :smile:

Only if you get an offer, if you get rejected they've put you through hell. I have friends in both boats. :frown:

Best of luck though, it was lovely when I looked at it. :smile:
And also idd be surprized if they make the same mistake twice and make every wait 6 months again. I wouldnt be suprized if we get responses in two months this time around.
Reply 31
And also idd be surprized if they make the same mistake twice and make every wait 6 months again. I wouldnt be suprized if we get responses in two months this time around.

I'm thinking that too, they are bound to get it right after the hassle they (and we) have had this year :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Tan Theta
I'm definitely applying, holds a nice social capacity and is great.

Apparent scoring is as follows to select for interviews

/16 for your academics. last year no one really knew how exactly they ranked your academics but apparently GCSE's and predicted grades seem to be important. You get +2 for achieved grades. (so max you can get without is 14/16)
/6 for your reference.
/ 24 for your personal statement split up into
/6 Insight and Motivation
/6 Responsibility
/6 Social Awareness
/6 Extra Curricular achievement.

There is also a bonus point available for a 700+ UKCAT average.
Last year you needed 39 on this system for an interview.

Places for 2011: 223 (UK) 20 (International)
Applications: 3664
Number interviewed: 600
Applicants per place: 13

They now only interview 400 or at least they did this year.
Original post by Sherbet
They now only interview 400 or at least they did this year.

That means basically interview=offer ?
Reply 34
That means basically interview=offer ?

No according to the leeds thread someone got an offer without an interview.
I think 70/75% of interviewees get an offer, roughly. This year they were being careful not to give out too many offers so it took them a long long time.
I think I'm applying :smile:
Yes, the academic criteria is a bit mysterious :/ Does anyone know what my chances would be with 6.5 A*s, 3.5 As and 1 B?
Also, what sort of UKCAT scores were offer receivers last year getting? I can't seem to find any indication on the website; they seem to be a bit vague about the admissions process!
Reply 36
Original post by Holz888
I think I'm applying :smile:
Yes, the academic criteria is a bit mysterious :/ Does anyone know what my chances would be with 6.5 A*s, 3.5 As and 1 B?
Also, what sort of UKCAT scores were offer receivers last year getting? I can't seem to find any indication on the website; they seem to be a bit vague about the admissions process!

I think you get an extra point for a score of 700+.
I got 700 this year.
Hey guys,

There are a couple of open days towards the end of June, with medicine specific talks taking place.

It would be useful if you went to that, they would have all the information you need for 2013 entry and quash any speculation. You have to book on to the talk as there are limited places so the sooner you book, the better :smile:

Best of luck.
It's also worth noting that Leeds are now interviewing using the MMI format. This is new for 2013 entry.
Original post by Leedsmedic2012
It's also worth noting that Leeds are now interviewing using the MMI format. This is new for 2013 entry.

whats an MMI format?

This is too anybody who would know,

Also does leeds specify anything on a fourth as-level grade?

Lastly do you think theres any benefit sending in my ucas application early has any benefits, Because I know at birmingham they started doing interviews before the ucas deadline? Which makes me a bit worried as I doubt ill have everything ready before october.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending