The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Ignore the guy/girl who says you have to be a top of the pile in EC's. I don't do any sports. Only have minimum grades and had a poor UKCAT.

What I do have is passion, and lots of it. I was able to convey that in my PS and interview. That statement above is utter *******s to say the least.

Don't be put off from this university.

AND I was not an access student. I easily could have been, but chose to not to go that route.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's also worth noting that TSR isn't a representative sample of people that apply. The standard of applicants are usually higher on here, be it through fabrication or coincidence.
Reply 62
Original post by Leedsmedic2012
Ignore the guy/girl who says you have to be a top of the pile in EC's. I don't do any sports. Only have minimum grades and had a poor UKCAT.

What I do have is passion, and lots of it. I was able to convey that in my PS and interview. That statement above is utter *******s to say the least.

AND I was not an access student. I easily could have been, but chose to not to go that route.

THIS exactly!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Leedsmedic2012

Can I just ask how you structured your personal statement? Im quite consious of getting it perfect to appeal to leeds but not sure what style to write it :s If that makes sense
Original post by Richyp22
Can I just ask how you structured your personal statement? Im quite consious of getting it perfect to appeal to leeds but not sure what style to write it :s If that makes sense

I had 5 mini paragraphs 1. Motivation 2. Work experience 3. Voluntary work 4. Education 5.EC and conclusion.

I didn't write about all my voluntary work and work experience I chose 3-4 and wrote about what I learnt.

I wrote about myself confidently, what I have learnt (not just from work experience, but from life and education too) and how this would apply to medicine.

There are personal statement helper on this site too, if you want to drop them a message.

Stay clear of cliche sentences also.

Good luck.
Reply 65
Does anyone know how Leeds uses your UKCAT score in your application?
Goodluck to those applying, specially to the internationals. Getting into Leeds is a bit like a draw. So, if you're lucky, then it's fine. If not, apply elsewhere!
Does anybody know if Leeds use PBL? What is the course like there?
Original post by franngu
Does anyone know how Leeds uses your UKCAT score in your application?

From what i gathered on the open day, It looks like there will be a predetermined threshold of around 625 ukcat.
Original post by pyjamatrousers.
Does anybody know if Leeds use PBL? What is the course like there?

Its systems based, so its a mix of everything but based on lectures for the first two years. Not much PBL worth noting.
Original post by Richyp22
Its systems based, so its a mix of everything but based on lectures for the first two years. Not much PBL worth noting.

Oh okay, thank you :smile: I'm not too keen on PBL so that's good!
Reply 71
Dont apply here !!!!!!!!!!! Risky choice
Reply 72
Any advice for international students applying to Leeds? I really want to get in!
Original post by vik94
Dont apply here !!!!!!!!!!! Risky choice

At least give a reason ...
Original post by franngu
Any advice for international students applying to Leeds? I really want to get in!

Lottery. Smash your personal statement and you atleast have a chance.

use
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/requirements.html#statement
I'll try and upload my PS onto the wiki section and will post the link here. Take from it what you will.

Leeds is not a lottery, if you have a strong PS you can get an interview. If you want to get in, the only way you can find out is if you apply. You may otherwise regret it.
Reply 76
Original post by Isometrix
I'll try and upload my PS onto the wiki section and will post the link here. Take from it what you will.

Leeds is not a lottery, if you have a strong PS you can get an interview. If you want to get in, the only way you can find out is if you apply. You may otherwise regret it.

Thanks (: it's comforting to know that there is hope!
Reply 77
Original post by Priyanka456
Goodluck to those applying, specially to the internationals. Getting into Leeds is a bit like a draw. So, if you're lucky, then it's fine. If not, apply elsewhere!

I don't think so - I think its a great uni for internationals to apply to but probably a high UK CAT score and passionate PS with good predicted grades and IGCSEs help - almost predictable I thought.
Original post by aeneas745
I don't think so - I think its a great uni for internationals to apply to but probably a high UK CAT score and passionate PS with good predicted grades and IGCSEs help - almost predictable I thought.

Congrats on your offer aeneas. But trust me, you were lucky to get in, and it was not "predictable". You were the only international student on TSR to get in- believe me, the other intls had great grades, and an awesome PS as well!
Reply 79
Original post by mirror+probe
At least give a reason ...

well youre banned so no point providing you with a reason :P

Quick Reply

Latest