The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Richyp22
Shadowing doctors? Your going to find with your grades the schools you apply to are going to have personal statement as a sizable factor.

And nobody can really tell you weather you stand a chance as that is subjective, if you want an interview from a place like leeds you personal statement needs to be perfect.

I did shadow doctor's on a ward round a couple of times, but i didn't spend the whole time doing so
Reply 101
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know if getting A*'s at A-level gives you an advantage as a Leeds applicant?

Reply 102
Hey, I got a D in an AS subject. You think ill be still accepted?
anyone know exactly how Leeds are looking at gcses? Theyve avioded answering my e-mails properly its a joke.
anyone know exactly how Leeds are looking at gcses? Theyve avioded answering my e-mails properly its a joke.

From what I gathered, they either use your GCSEs or your AS grades, whichever is better. I don't know how they score it, but after checking minimum requirements, GCSEs/ASs have the most weighting in selection for interview (GCSE/AS then UKCAT then personal statement), however it can't be that strict because the diagram shows that the quality of applicants remains stable until UKCAT. Very ambiguous :/

(looking at this diagram):
Have I got any chance at getting an interview at leeds?
GCSEs 6A*s 2As 2Bs (these were done under extenuating circumstances)
AS results AAAB (b in chemistry only 4ums off an a)
Ukcat 637.5
Work experience: 2 weeks in hospital, 2 summers volunteering in a hospice, young leader at brownies, few days in labs/research
Extra curricular: grade 5 saxophone, member of various school bands, member of athletics and trampolining club, ou module, paired reading, qualified lifeguard (got some first aid training) and dofe bronze and silver.
:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tan Theta
I'm definitely applying, holds a nice social capacity and is great.

Apparent scoring is as follows to select for interviews

/16 for your academics. last year no one really knew how exactly they ranked your academics but apparently GCSE's and predicted grades seem to be important. You get +2 for achieved grades. (so max you can get without is 14/16)
/6 for your reference.
/ 24 for your personal statement split up into
/6 Insight and Motivation
/6 Responsibility
/6 Social Awareness
/6 Extra Curricular achievement.

There is also a bonus point available for a 700+ UKCAT average.
Last year you needed 39 on this system for an interview.

Places for 2011: 223 (UK) 20 (International)
Applications: 3664
Number interviewed: 600
Applicants per place: 13

Their website is very explicit that they don't score references any more: "We do read the personal reference given on the UCAS form when assessing applicants. However, we do not score the reference, merely noting if there are any issues that need to be considered further." From the Open Day, the "issues" could be reservations or evidence of any extenuating circumstances.

My father phoned them a while ago to see how my application might be received (he didn't ask about references - that's something I just noticed). They wouldn't give details about how their scoring system works.
Original post by Pastaferian
Their website is very explicit that they don't score references any more: "We do read the personal reference given on the UCAS form when assessing applicants. However, we do not score the reference, merely noting if there are any issues that need to be considered further." From the Open Day, the "issues" could be reservations or evidence of any extenuating circumstances.

My father phoned them a while ago to see how my application might be received (he didn't ask about references - that's something I just noticed). They wouldn't give details about how their scoring system works.

The selection process has changed quite a lot this year. See the image that I posted above. It's from a slideshow that was shown during the open day talk
Reply 108
Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

Hi,
I was wondering what did you get in your AS levels, what did you get in your UKCAT and how did your interview go.
I am new to UK and have gotten AS Level grades of AAA.

Thanks and please reply.:smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P
Reply 109
do you know if there's any cutoff point on UKCAT? I've got 650 and wonder where I should apply to :frown:

Original post by Sherbet
I think you get an extra point for a score of 700+.
I got 700 this year.

Original post by Sherbet
I think you get an extra point for a score of 700+.
I got 700 this year.
Reply 110
Original post by siewmai
do you know if there's any cutoff point on UKCAT? I've got 650 and wonder where I should apply to :frown:

I'm not sure, just check out the med forums, and see what cutoffs were like last year. All you can do is find out as much as you can on unis and see where suits you best, work out your best features :smile:.
Reply 111
They don't use that selection criteria anymore, well according to the email I received they don't. I'm guessing they'll be putting more emphasis on the ukcat, which is unfortunate.
Original post by mumina01
They don't use that selection criteria anymore, well according to the email I received they don't. I'm guessing they'll be putting more emphasis on the ukcat, which is unfortunate.

I posted an image earlier which shows the new admissions process :smile:

The lady at the open day mentioned 615 as a possible predetermined cut-off, but please don't hold me to that. It was probably a guide figure, like those with 615 and above can get an interview, but that doesn't mean that will. I don't know whether UKCAT will be used any more than that, they were quite vague
Reply 113
Hmmm yeah, but it shows how a lot of applicants are removed after the ukcat stage... so would they not have a higher cut off than 615?
Original post by mumina01
Hmmm yeah, but it shows how a lot of applicants are removed after the ukcat stage... so would they not have a higher cut off than 615?

Maybe. Maybe open day talk lady didn't have a clue what she was talking about :biggrin:
Original post by Holz888
Maybe. Maybe open day talk lady didn't have a clue what she was talking about :biggrin:

after e-mailing and even phoning, I generally get the idea they dont have much of a consensous on their policy or there just being awkward and sneaky. Your best bet is to just go with what they said at the open day.
Reply 116
Last year Leeds was in such shambles when it came to the application process but Its still my first choice lol. I got rejected and ranked 2900/4000. Is there any point in applying this time around? I hear they have changed their admissions policy and what not. The only thing im sort of worried about are my gcse's I got 4A* 2A 3B C (AB science due to school screwing up and downgrading everyones grades by 1 or 2). I am a gap year student so I have already acheived AAAa at A levels. I have not taken the ukcat yet but I read that as long as its above 630 I should be fine?.
Reply 117
From that diagram posted earlier that was on the slideshow they showed on the open day, it seems like they're just scoring everyone on GCSEs/AS, UKCAT and personal statement, with GCSEs/AS being most important, then UKCAT, then personal statement, since the diagram shows their weighting decreases. In which case, personal statement may not be as important as everyone thinks.

Edit: Actually, judging by the fact that there's arrows between each thing with 'progress' on them, they must cut people out after each stage.

I'm not sure if this is correct though, what does everyone else think?
(edited 11 years ago)
after e-mailing and even phoning, I generally get the idea they dont have much of a consensous on their policy or there just being awkward and sneaky. Your best bet is to just go with what they said at the open day.

Yeah, I know :smile: the previous poster just questioned whether 615 was the cut-off or not. To be honest, I think they've probably been instructed not to let anyone digging for information get any. I'd be very surprised if at this stage they don't know what's going to happen.

Original post by SWBL
From that diagram posted earlier that was on the slideshow they showed on the open day, it seems like they're just scoring everyone on GCSEs/AS, UKCAT and personal statement, with GCSEs/AS being most important, then UKCAT, then personal statement, since the diagram shows their weighting decreases. In which case, personal statement may not be as important as everyone thinks.

Edit: Actually, judging by the fact that there's arrows between each thing with 'progress' on them, they must cut people out after each stage.

I'm not sure if this is correct though, what does everyone else think?

Yeah, I think she said that people get rejected at each stage (that doesn't mean that rejections will be sent out though)
Original post by Polioz
Last year Leeds was in such shambles when it came to the application process but Its still my first choice lol. I got rejected and ranked 2900/4000. Is there any point in applying this time around? I hear they have changed their admissions policy and what not. The only thing im sort of worried about are my gcse's I got 4A* 2A 3B C (AB science due to school screwing up and downgrading everyones grades by 1 or 2). I am a gap year student so I have already acheived AAAa at A levels. I have not taken the ukcat yet but I read that as long as its above 630 I should be fine?.

One thing they have consitently said, Is that they are not using As results at all and that they're not having a ukcat cut-off?which is adverse to what they said at the open day, So you can count that out especially As results. I think its basically going to be down to Personal statement as usual,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending