The Student Room Group

Would you advocate an unjust war if you were starving?

Imagine That the nation you call home was;

1. Starving.
2. able to lay claim to one of the largest most advanced militaries within your region if not the world.

So imagine you are truly starving. You are actually watching your family not only suffer, but slowly die from starvation and famine.

Would you? Could you, condone, support, or even participate in an invasion of an innocent neighboring nation in order to obtain the resources to feed and ultimately save your loved ones?

Would you? Could you advocate your nation selling or providing military technology to rouge nations/dictatorships or terrorist organizations which would likely use such technology to commit atrocities.

It has been said that, "civilization is 24 hours and two meals away from barbarism." I firmly believe that most of the so called idealists who preach absolute pacifism within the comfort of a secure society would be much less ideal without such security. How could they not be?

Just imagine how dangerous for the world it would be if such a nation existed today?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But if there is enough money for a highly advanced military there is enough for food (as long as less is spent on the military). If anything it sounds much more like grounds for an uprising but it would be very bloody if there was one. Chances are with a government like that an invasion probably wouldn't increase food to you anyway.

And the world is dangerous, and a country like that may well exist today. It sounds a bit like North Korea.
No I wouldn't condone an unjust war. I'd ask why, in this planet with abundant resources for everyone, there is suddenly such a deficiency in my country. And I'd want my elected leaders to appeal diplomatically for assistance from neighbouring nations. We are a civilised planet. We don't bomb each other for resources when there is enough on this planet to feed everyone. For example, the average european throws away enough edible food each year to feed two people in developing countries, Americans spend enough on eating out each year to completely alleviate world hunger for that year according to UN estimates. We need a redistribution of resources, not violence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by screenager2004
No I wouldn't condone an unjust war. I'd ask why, in this planet with abundant resources for everyone, there is suddenly such a deficiency in my country. And I'd want my elected leaders to appeal diplomatically for assistance from neighbouring nations. We are a civilised planet. We don't bomb each other for resources when there is enough on this planet to feed everyone. For example, the average european throws away enough edible food each year to feed two people in developing countries, Americans spend enough on eating out each year to completely alleviate world hunger for that year according to UN estimates. We need a redistribution of resources, not violence.

Unfortunately it is easier to mobilize your troops than it is unify the world. So the question still stands.

If you are a North Korean mother who just can't seem to make her four hungry children understand why there is no food. If you can't bear to tell them that their sister died first because she was the weakest amongst them. If your government could not appeal for assistance because they won't abandon their nuclear/missile ambitions (you may be aware of that or not). Would you then still be talking about a campaign for world redistribution (a cause that would take decades if not centuries), or would you be telling your oldest boy to join the army and bring back some food to his younger siblings.

The question isn't interesting if you refuse to answer it in terms of what you would need instead of what your ideals would like.
Reply 4
Original post by ckingalt

The question isn't interesting if you refuse to answer it in terms of what you would need instead of what your ideals would like.

So, you just want us to agree and say that we would do it, then? Otherwise it isn't interesting to you? Doesn't sound like much of a debate...

I agree with what other people have said. If the military in this hypothetical country is so advanced, and the people are starving, then I'd advocate cutting spending on the military, selling a sh*tload of our weaponry, and using the money to invest in agriculture and food production. In the short term, the money would also be used to buy food from neighbouring countries which would be distributed equally to the people. I'd also advocate asking other countries and non-governmental organisations like the Red Cross for food aid.
Reply 5
If you and your kin are starving, from where do you find the strength to fight a war? Where do you get this well-equipped and able Army from?

If this Army is so strong and able, from where are they getting the food to keep themselves fit?

Silly riddle is silly.
Reply 6
the numerous aforementioned problems with this hyp aside,
of course i would, as much as the idealists of the world would like everyone to get on and be self sacrificing people will almost always look out for numero uno and there family ... you cannot honestly tell me if your family were dying and a possible way to save them was to march into your neighbours country you wouldnt do it..
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
If you and your kin are starving, from where do you find the strength to fight a war? Where do you get this well-equipped and able Army from?

If this Army is so strong and able, from where are they getting the food to keep themselves fit?

Silly riddle is silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

It's not a riddle it's a real scenario in a real place. As to if it is silly or not, is another matter.
Unfortunately it is easier to mobilize your troops than it is unify the world. So the question still stands.

If you are a North Korean mother who just can't seem to make her four hungry children understand why there is no food. If you can't bear to tell them that their sister died first because she was the weakest amongst them. If your government could not appeal for assistance because they won't abandon their nuclear/missile ambitions (you may be aware of that or not). Would you then still be talking about a campaign for world redistribution (a cause that would take decades if not centuries), or would you be telling your oldest boy to join the army and bring back some food to his younger siblings.

You contradict yourself, in the first part of your reply you put me in the position of the government - you say "it's easier to mobilise the troops" - to that I respond the easiest solution is not necessarily the right solution, just because something is easier doesn't mean it is the best choice. So no, the question doesn't still stand.

The government has the responsibility to ensure the livelihood of its people, not to pursue nuclear ambitions. It should abandon its military ambitions and use diplomacy to ensure it's people doesn't starve. That's a no brainer. Any government who allows people to starve rather than abandon developing weapons to aid death, destruction, misery and violence are not a sane government, and not fit to lead a people.

In the second part of your reply, you suddenly start talking about if I were just a citizen with no control over whether the government abandons its nuclear policy or not - in which case I wouldn't have the power to 'mobilize troops' either.

The question is entirely in the hands of the government. Any government who lets its people starve over a military development programme is fundamentally sick and twisted. And no, an unjust war is STILL not condonable.
Reply 9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

It's not a riddle it's a real scenario in a real place. As to if it is silly or not, is another matter.

So you honestly believe the average peasant farmer in North Korea has sway over the military?

That's why this question is silly.
Those who are in charge are not starving. They don't care about those who are.
Reply 10
If I had a nation which was starving and found that my neighbouring nation was not, I would probably not be able to muster much support for any invasion since the cost of raising an army would possibly plummet my nation into further starvation. What I could do is strengthen the cultural tie between my nation and the other, and appeal to their support for economic growth in industry export so as long as the repayment (in import to the other) is not unfair, and carries with it little or no interest. Thus the prosperity of the one would be beneficial to the prosperity of the other in the long term: in other words, mutual benefit. The transition would have to be very gradual and would have to be safeguarded against curtailing individual freedoms. This may be impossible to avoid, but it's effects can be softened with enough contemplation.
Reply 11
You contradict yourself, in the first part of your reply you put me in the position of the government - you say "it's easier to mobilise the troops" - to that I respond the easiest solution is not necessarily the right solution, just because something is easier doesn't mean it is the best choice. So no, the question doesn't still stand.

The government has the responsibility to ensure the livelihood of its people, not to pursue nuclear ambitions. It should abandon its military ambitions and use diplomacy to ensure it's people doesn't starve. That's a no brainer. Any government who allows people to starve rather than abandon developing weapons to aid death, destruction, misery and violence are not a sane government, and not fit to lead a people.

In the second part of your reply, you suddenly start talking about if I were just a citizen with no control over whether the government abandons its nuclear policy or not - in which case I wouldn't have the power to 'mobilize troops' either.

The question is entirely in the hands of the government. Any government who lets its people starve over a military development programme is fundamentally sick and twisted. And no, an unjust war is STILL not condonable.

Original post by Drewski
So you honestly believe the average peasant farmer in North Korea has sway over the military?

That's why this question is silly.
Those who are in charge are not starving. They don't care about those who are.

You two are missing the point I'm trying to make, or more likely just refusing to acknowledge it. It is not contradictory. I am asking you to test your ideals against a actual dilemma occurring in the world today.

Even a government that doesn't care about it's people must control them. A starving population is desperate. Desperate people are hard to control. Do you really expect a nation that can't feed it's people to not eventually resort to the only resource which could provide such necessities. What if that only resource is military action or the sale of technology.

I know North Korea has options. I know it's citizens don't. My intent is ask people to address the commitment they have to their ideals. Our nations despite all our complaining, provide us with a measure of security few humans have ever known. As a result of that security we sit at our computers and preach for policies of peace and justice. We then take a hot shower, and got to bed with a full stomach, and congratulate ourselves for being so righteous.

My question is.... How righteous would screenager be if she was starving, and the only immediate foreseeable remedy was to be unrighteous?
Reply 12
I'll bite the bullet and give a proper answer to a question concerning morality not logisitics and politics.

Yes, I'm the most important person in my world followed by my family.

Imagine how much NK could get for selling its nuclear technology. Other countries as well have vested interests in preventing starvation in nuclear powers so as to prevent total collapse and anarchy in a country packing some serious heat. The North Korean economic model doesn't work but it doesn't mean the Kims are stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)
You two are missing the point I'm trying to make, or more likely just refusing to acknowledge it. It is not contradictory. I am asking you to test your ideals against a actual dilemma occurring in the world today.

Even a government that doesn't care about it's people must control them. A starving population is desperate. Desperate people are hard to control. Do you really expect a nation that can't feed it's people to not eventually resort to the only resource which could provide such necessities. What if that only resource is military action or the sale of technology.

My question is.... How righteous would screenager be if she was starving, and the only immediate foreseeable remedy was to be unrighteous?

You are refusing to see the bigger picture. It is the way the world is organised, the architecture of states and economies (or 'the system' if you want to sound like a revolutionary nut) that puts people into starvation. There is enough food for everyone on this planet, the reason people starve is because of a fault in the fair distribution of resources, thanks to an outdated architecture of national divides and economies.

The system is the problem. Putting me in a hypothetical desperate situation where I have been severely disadvantaged by that system, forcing me to commit immoral and atrocious acts in order to survive, does not legitimate the system.
You are refusing to see the bigger picture. It is the way the world is organised, the architecture of states and economies (or 'the system' if you want to sound like a revolutionary nut) that puts people into starvation. There is enough food for everyone on this planet, the reason people starve is because of a fault in the fair distribution of resources, thanks to an outdated architecture of national divides and economies.

The system is the problem. Putting me in a hypothetical desperate situation where I have been severely disadvantaged by that system, forcing me to commit immoral and atrocious acts in order to survive, does not legitimate the system.

That is pure evasion.

Original post by Classical Liberal
That is pure evasion.

I agree. All the posts I have seen from you indicate that you are very good at presenting ideals, but you are miserable at applying them to a viable reality.
Reply 16

I am not legitimizing the system, I am questioning the conviction of your ideals. What say you?
I am not legitimizing the system, I am questioning the conviction of your ideals. What say you?

I've already answered your question about the "conviction of my ideals" in the second part of my response.
Original post by Classical Liberal
That is pure evasion.

"forcing me to commit immoral and atrocious acts in order to survive" is an answer to that question. Not evading anything.
"forcing me to commit immoral and atrocious acts in order to survive" is an answer to that question. Not evading anything.

You are not being forced. Nobody is actually threatening you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending