Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Issue with liquid and mobile phones bans

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a great idea..... you will have to hide it well, as there were 'pat downs' being performed on spectators at last weekend's events! (and the price was £2.30 )!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I'm going to hide some Coke in a plastic water bag on my person so hopefully they wont find it. Not going to pay £5 for a can of it!!
    So it's gone from 'high performance energy drinks' to 'coke in a plastic bag'

I think your expression "need" (energy drinks that I need to be able to fulfill my duties to a high standard." is a bit of an oerstatement.

You're essentially a St John Ambulanceman for the duration of the games, most of your time will be spent in the first aid room kicking your heels. Unless a bomb goes off (something which you seem quite keen on heightening the possibilities of) I doubt you will be running around dramatically, triaging patients and putting them on spinal boards...

Sounds to me like you fancied a whinge and thought you'd have it about having to pay a few quid for a can of coke.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    So it's gone from 'high performance energy drinks' to 'coke in a plastic bag'

I think your expression "need" (energy drinks that I need to be able to fulfill my duties to a high standard." is a bit of an oerstatement.

You're essentially a St John Ambulanceman for the duration of the games, most of your time will be spent in the first aid room kicking your heels. Unless a bomb goes off (something which you seem quite keen on heightening the possibilities of) I doubt you will be running around dramatically, triaging patients and putting them on spinal boards...

Sounds to me like you fancied a whinge and thought you'd have it about having to pay a few quid for a can of coke.
    Err.. someone simply fainting would require medical assistance, and they would be called if a staff member radioed it in. Ambulances don't just get called in for bombs which is what you seem to be saying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if athletes get to bring in water or other drinks?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of water on tap for all !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if athletes get to bring in water or other drinks?
    They'll win either way, I presume they'll get free drinks amongst other things anyway. Make athletes drink the sponsored drinks around TV cameras, sponsors will pay more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Torres)
    Err.. someone simply fainting would require medical assistance, and they would be called if a staff member radioed it in. Ambulances don't just get called in for bombs which is what you seem to be saying.
    No, my point was that you won't be amazingly busy, (in my opinion) in terms of all this physical activity ("I am a First Responder at the Olympic Site so will be doing a lot of physical activity") Much of it will be fairly sedentary, I think. At any rate, you won't be running around the stadia to urgently treat hundreds of casualties, unless (for example) a bomb goes off (which is obviously one of a number of scenarios in which an ambulance, or indeed several, and several first-aiders would be required.) In this situation, I expect you might be running around, doing a lot of physical activity. However, this scenario is unlikely, in view of the counter-terrorism and other safety measures that are being put in place. Therefore, I would expect that the majority of first-aiding required of you at the games will be minor injuries, cuts, scrapes, stings, and, hopefully, sun strokes and dehydrations. Considering there are 4-5000 GMs in the medical team, and each is assigned to one part of a venue, I expect the number of major incidents per day to be quite low for each individual first-aider, even if its is relatively high over the entire Games.

tldr is: shut up, you're not going to be running around.

Edit, by you I mean whoever I originally quoted... Awkward.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im sure you can buy drinks on site at £10 for an egg cup full.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take an empty bottle in, fill it up inside. It's simple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait wait, are we not allowed to take our phones in either? I mean everyone here is a gamesmaker right? We don't get to take our phones in or just spectators?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mobile Phones are allowed, the term "electronic transmitting equipment" is to stop full recording of activities , Its true if LOCOG, could have banned mobiles they would, but they came to a sensible conclusion that it is now a fact of life.
    Of course a phone is not compulsory , (except for Protocol, but thats another story )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait wait, are we not allowed to take our phones in either?
    We are allowed phones and they can be on and we can take calls. That's what I was told at training.
    What.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    from what i have been told during training:

mobile phones are allowed, however they should not be used during your shifts unless it is an emergency

i mean come on im sure it will be busy enough for you to have no time to check your phones and all that :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    What.
    That's how unimportant training was . Damn powerpoint slides.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would the same apply to athletes and their entourages? I doubt it as they will be allowed to bring all sorts of liquids. Also a mobile phone ban is dangerous as I need my mobile for my own safety and security.
    except for the afghan Olympic team, I think the committee will make an exception for them
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a First Responder at the Olympic Site so will be doing a lot of physical activity therefore it is essential that I can bring in energy drinks to allow me to do my duty. it also bans the carrying of bottles, even plastic ones and flasks!
    Why not take water and then either take the energy drink powder with you to mix whilst there (a sachet would easily fit into our lovely bag) or just take glucose tablets which are far cheaper than energy drinks - like £1 for a pack of 12 tablets or something. They'd be acceptable and would be a good way of getting a quick energy boost during your shift

Also - the mobile phone thing, as drivers we've been told we should take our phones in case of an emergency and for any reason our radios aren't working. They said we can't use it when we have a client in the car, but if we are in our (empty) car and just waiting/parked up somewhere then it's perfectly fine for us to use our personal phones for personal calls

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.