The Student Room Group

How do universities feel about IGCSEs?

I have found this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=37214448&highlight=IGCSE

but it doesn't answer my question. Forgive me for making it look like a duplicate post! The above post bascially says to disregard your GCSEs somewhat because it is the A levels that count. I am not sitting them. I have my GCSEs and then I have a certificate in motor vehicle maintenance at level 2 and 3. The 3 only carries about 40 UCAS points and it is irrelevant to my subject. As of October I am studying two OU modules in science and biology - the chosen modules my university recommended I study. I scanned the entry requirements AGAIN and discovered something I missed - I need a GCSE in a science...

I have a DD in Applied Science. I rang admissions and I was told as I was studying science at degree level (OU modules) my GCSE would probably be obsolete (provided I pass them, but they go on previous grades to decide, I assume). I asked them if the DD would put me at a disadvantage and should I resit to get the advantage back. I was told I would be at no disadvantage but resitting would give me a 'strong' application. I can only do the GCSE long-distance - limiting me to IGCSEs. Do unis accept them as a GCSE equivalent?

It is a VERY competitive course and I need to get in at THIS uni. I cannot apply elsewhere.

Then again, another uni (not a reputable one) had no idea what OU modules were or what IGCSEs were.
I did my IGCSEs and had received 4 offers and 1 rejection (from Oxford :tongue:).

So yes, IGCSEs are accepted as an equivalent and you will face no issue in applying to a University with them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
There is no problem with IGCSEs - a lot of independent schools in the UK have their students take them instead of GCSEs. They'll be accepted as the same thing.

Generally, you don't need a GCSE level qualification in a subject you have studied at undergraduate level though so it would be worth contacting your chosen university and asking them if they will accept your OU modules instead.

I'd love to know which university didn't know what either the OU or an IGCSE was - not very clued up were they?
Reply 3
I think you shouldn't try asking people on TSR this but should instead send the University an email. Universities vary quite a lot in their admissions policies. You can't generalise.

My experience was that when I contacted lots of Universities in 2005 to find out whether they would accept my IGCSEs and my HIGCSEs, there was a mixed response. York and Cambridge were fine with it. Bristol and Durham said that because their was no scale to calculate how many UCAS points these qualifications counted for, that I'd have to ring up some national marking agency and pay a gazillion pounds for an official certificate saying what my international qualifications counted as in UCAS points :s-smilie:
However places might be more geared up now than they were, as IGCSEs in particular have started being used in some UK schools.
Reply 4
Original post by minnieuk
There is no problem with IGCSEs - a lot of independent schools in the UK have their students take them instead of GCSEs. They'll be accepted as the same thing.

Generally, you don't need a GCSE level qualification in a subject you have studied at undergraduate level though so it would be worth contacting your chosen university and asking them if they will accept your OU modules instead.

I'd love to know which university didn't know what either the OU or an IGCSE was - not very clued up were they?

It is in the north-ish ;-p.

Original post by minnieuk

'I rang admissions and I was told as I was studying science at degree level (OU modules) my GCSE would probably be obsolete...'

Basically, from the many phone calls I have made, I have been fed the idea that if I have COMPLETED my OU modules by the time I apply, the undergraduate modules will trump my naff GCSE grade. However, this is not the case for me. I will start my OU modules in October and I am applying as of late October. I would like to have a shining A in chemistry for them to rely on in anticipation of my results, but, if I do the IGCSE, I will be sitting in January and I will still have to put 'pending' in October! I just don't want them to see my DD and toss me to the side if they have to start nit picking (competitive course, etc). But, this may be me having a lack of trust in the world. I assume all universities are professional in their methods.

My chosen uni has said they will accept the modules, but the admissions staff are still quite vague.

Does anyone know, if I apply with pending OU modules and a pending IGCSE do I have to put predicated grades or just 'pending' or what? I have never applied to uni and I am not applying by conventional means. Isn't the general process applying with A levels or BTEC/NVQ and when your results come through UCAS passes them on to the uni who accept you by letter? Seperate OU modules have an overall performance percentage. They do not have 'grades'. How will the uni know I have passed?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending