Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have gone mad with TC applications

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess there are two reasons for it.
    1. I am not British
    2. I went to ex-poly (Coventry University)
    3. I got fed up with not getting a TC in 2008 and went to Australia where I coached tennis instead. I also studied business and HR in Sydney.

I had been accepted to study at the top universities, but at the time I didn't know anything about ex-poly and redbrick universities. However, I was very happy with my university. The professors were professional and many were former solicitors.

I have AAAB in my A-Levels. I have a 2.1 in Law.
    I speak 3 foreign languages fluently and two other languages at a basic level.
    I did one VS in 2007, worked as a Paralegal in two different firms. One of them is high street and the other one is a well-known national firm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From the above there are no logical reasons why you can't get a TC - it must be your applications that are letting you down. Are you spending a lot of time researching and writing them?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maminushka)
    I guess there are two reasons for it.
    1. I am not British
    2. I went to ex-poly (Coventry University)
    3. I got fed up with not getting a TC in 2008 and went to Australia where I coached tennis instead. I also studied business and HR in Sydney.

I had been accepted to study at the top universities, but at the time I didn't know anything about ex-poly and redbrick universities. However, I was very happy with my university. The professors were professional and many were former solicitors.

I have AAAB in my A-Levels. I have a 2.1 in Law.
    I speak 3 foreign languages fluently and two other languages at a basic level.
    I did one VS in 2007, worked as a Paralegal in two different firms. One of them is high street and the other one is a well-known national firm.

May I ask why you went to Coventry with AAAB?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I guess it must be my applications. However, most places I've applied to so far have a deadline at the end of July so I won't know until August if my applications were rubbish or good. I tend to spend a couple of weeks on each form. The more I do, the easier it gets to answer the questions. To be honest, I usually succeed at things when I don't spend too much time dealing with them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forkicks
    Coming from a different country I didn't know anything about university rankings. I had been accepted to study IR and languages at University of Birmingham. Politics at University of Sheffield. Coventry was actually the worst university in terms of rankings but the only university where I applied to study law. However, I have to say that most of my lecturers were former solicitors so I believe I was given good quality education. I applied to study at Coventry because I had met a girl on a coach on the way to England who studied psychology there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend getting your applications reviewed professionally or just in general by individuals who have secured a training contract. There is a story recruiters look for when they decide whether or not to take someone on, and while no two stories are the same, they share a common thread: the applicant displays commercial acumen, commercial aspirations, and the requisite competency skills of a lawyer.

While firms focus on certain universities, they have a good reason for doing so in terms of risk management. Given this, your applications ought to display content that mitigates that risk. The best way to do so is to let the firm get to you know outside of the application process.

There are numerous networking events available for students and non-students alike, but you will have to contact each firm's graduate recruitment representatives to determine when this is possible. If the firm knows who you are, it significantly increases your chances for consideration.

Most applications ask if you have a contact at the firm, therefore I would make use of this. Otherwise, firms do not know who you are besides what you write on the application form, and you cannot change your academic facts. Everything else, you certainly can. Presentation, whether written or oral, is the key, and presentation skills themselves are a key competency recruiters consider.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you except for the 'commercial acumen' stuff. I did clinical negligence so I might be interested in other areas not the commercial ones. :-)
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you except for the 'commercial acumen' stuff. I did clinical negligence so I might be interested in other areas not the commercial ones. :-)
    I think by "commercial acumen", the idea is not "do you know about the City?", but "do you understand that as a law firm, we are a business, here to make money and more specifically to enrich the equity partners?"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To clarify what I mean by commercial acumen, which still applies in clinical negligence, consider the following:

There were X cases of negligence involving a certain medical procedure Y in the year Z. Factors that were relevant were A involving the medical sector itself, B involving the kinds of patients involved, and C involving some other relevant business sector which somehow can be attributed to the practice used in relation to A. These are a few of the kinds of information you may consider when applying laws D, E, and F in practice.

Inevitably, lawyers understanding the business sectors or clients they advise is what makes their firm profitable, but what you decide to value when you go into the profession is entirely up to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I think by "commercial acumen", the idea is not "do you know about the City?", but "do you understand that as a law firm, we are a business, here to make money and more specifically to enrich the equity partners?"
    Yes, it's clear to me that lawyers like the money a lot.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's clear to me that lawyers like the money a lot.
    Pay peanuts; get monkeys.

One of the reasons cited for the failure of the FLA 1996 was that in endeavouring to control costs in divorce, information meetings should be run by mediators who were not lawyers, but were much cheaper and similarly qualified in communicating between parties. After the failure of the pilot scheme (more people wanted divorces and legal advice after attending the information meetings), it transpired that the largest group of mediators were out-of-work actors.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.