Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The usual: I'm looking to buy a new laptop

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I've basically had my Dell inspiron 1520 for 3 years now. The battery is basically dudd, I have to have it on permanent charge otherwise it will "hibernate" within 15 minutes. I'm not looking to get a new battery for it, as I'm aware this would solve my problems, it is just getting old and I would like a new laptop for my 18th birthday in August just before University.

I use my laptop mainly for:
    Browsing the internet
    Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.)
    Watching movies either online or from a DVD
    iTunes
    And not much else really. I don't play games on it. My budget is £500 and I would really like a white laptop - my current Dell is white and I love it. Also, if possible, I would like the laptop to be silver on the inside/where the keyboard is and the cover white.

Thanks for help in advance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinkpad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm in more or less the same boat, and I don't know what to buy either. Subbing
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry don't have any advice either, but I'm in the same situation (my laptop works for about a minute if it's not plugged in, and it's ridiculously loud and makes strange noises :/ ) so I'm looking to get a new one soon.
    So can't give any help but I'd be interested in any comments other people have!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Thinkpad.
    I'll take a look, thanks.

(Original post by Planar)
    I'm in more or less the same boat, and I don't know what to buy either. Subbing
    (Original post by Florence321)
    Sorry don't have any advice either, but I'm in the same situation (my laptop works for about a minute if it's not plugged in, and it's ridiculously loud and makes strange noises :/ ) so I'm looking to get a new one soon.
    So can't give any help but I'd be interested in any comments other people have!!
    Hopefully we'll get some good suggestions from people on here. My laptop battery is seriously a joke :facepalm:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    So I've basically had my Dell inspiron 1520 for 3 years now. The battery is basically dudd, I have to have it on permanent charge otherwise it will "hibernate" within 15 minutes. I'm not looking to get a new battery for it, as I'm aware this would solve my problems, it is just getting old and I would like a new laptop for my 18th birthday in August just before University.

Browsing the internet
    iTunes
    And not much else really. I don't play games on it. My budget is £500 and I would really like a white laptop - my current Dell is white and I love it.

You won't need to spend that much for what you're using it for.

Here's a few.

Currently on offer: http://www.ebuyer.com/288874-toshiba...sc1me-01g00ken

That one is a bargain, very good specs for its price. It has everything you need (not Office, no laptops come with the full version of Office). Plus good battery life.

Include Bluetooth if you ever use it: http://www.ebuyer.com/281876-samsung...np-rv520-a07uk

And this one (slightly better CPU): http://www.ebuyer.com/345808-lenovo-...laptop-m51bhuk

If you're looking else where, such as Amazon, look for at least 4GB DDR3 RAM, however much HDD space you think you'll need (~320GB - 500GB+ ?) and an Intel i3 2330M and above processor or the AMD equivalent. In your case, the graphics card doesn't matter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    You won't need to spend that much for what you're using it for.

Here's a few.

Currently on offer: http://www.ebuyer.com/288874-toshiba...sc1me-01g00ken

That one is a bargain, very good specs for its price. It has everything you need (not Office, no laptops come with the full version of Office). Plus good battery life.

Include Bluetooth if you ever use it: http://www.ebuyer.com/281876-samsung...np-rv520-a07uk

And this one (slightly better CPU): http://www.ebuyer.com/345808-lenovo-...laptop-m51bhuk

Personally I'd go with the first one due to the extra RAM and HDD space. It's practically free for the price.

If you're looking else where, such as Amazon, look for at least 4GB DDR3 RAM, however much HDD space you think you'll need (~320GB - 500GB+ ?) and an Intel i3 2330M and above processor or the AMD equivalent. In your case, the graphics card doesn't matter.
    Thanks for the suggestions. All the talk of RAM and HDD to me is simply jargon, although I do know that I think I'd want an Intel i3 or i5 processor.

Is there anyway you could get the Toshiba in white?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions. All the talk of RAM and HDD to me is simply jargon, although I do know that I think I'd want an Intel i3 or i5 processor.

Uh actually disregard what I said about personally favouring the first one. Looking at the specs it doesn't have a few things I would need which the others do (the HDMI port for one and a few other things). I'd probably pick the Samsung. Has HDMI, Gigabit, supports the newer version Bluetooth, better battery and looks gorgeous.

They all do what you asked very well.

I don't think Toshiba do white colours, if they do, it's not on offer like the other one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Uh actually disregard what I said about personally favouring the first one. Looking at the specs it doesn't have a few things I would need which the others do (the HDMI port for one and a few other things). I'd probably pick the Samsung. Has HDMI, Gigabit, supports the newer version Bluetooth, better battery and looks gorgeous.

I don't think Toshiba do white colours, if they do, it's not on offer like the other one.
    The Samsung sounds like the way to go then, thanks for your help!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

1) you don't need an i5 for the things you've said you will use it for.
    2) More RAM = more stuff open at once and the smoother everything will run generally.

3) bigger HDD= more space to save stuff.

tbh if your set on looking at laptops purely for aesthetic reasons (wanting a white one.) then it doesn't really matter about the spec's of them because anything out at moment can comfortably manage to run word and browse the web, so just look for one you like the look of and maybe post it on tsr for someone to have a look at they can probably tell you if it's worth the money/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    1) you don't need an i5 for the things you've said you will use it for.
    2) More RAM = more stuff open at once and the smoother everything will run generally.

3) bigger HDD= more space to save stuff.

tbh if your set on looking at laptops purely for aesthetic reasons (wanting a white one.) then it doesn't really matter about the spec's of them because anything out at moment can comfortably manage to run word and browse the web, so just look for one you like the look of and maybe post it on tsr for someone to have a look at they can probably tell you if it's worth the money/
    Thanks! Yes I do really want a white one, but I don't want to compromise on it being able to do its job well, of which I'm not really asking much. I'll search some more and see if I find any to post on here
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Samsung sounds like the way to go then, thanks for your help!
    No problem. As the other poster indicated, don't waste money on an i5+, the laptops get expensive in that range (£500+) and you don't really need it unless you're gaming, programming, video editing, simulations etc.

I mentioned at least 4GB and the HDD space and the i3 2330M+ because I figured you're concerned about looks and thus can search for laptops you like and check the specs.

Some might argue that you don't need 4GB, but whatever, better to have a little extra and it's cheaper.

Just remember that you'll probably need to get Microsoft Office yourself (if you're a student, it's about ~£35).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinkpad.
    good luck ever getting a new one of those for >£500 or in white :rolleyes:
    Lenovo ideapad you might manage though? theyre not to bad!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    good luck ever getting a new one of those for >£500 or in white :rolleyes:
    Lenovo ideapad you might manage though? theyre not to bad!
    Well obviously the colour is an issue! But I'm sure you could get one for lower than £500 though (just).
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:

Browsing the internet
    iTunes
    And not much else really. I don't play games on it. My budget is £500 and I would really like a white laptop - my current Dell is white and I love it. Also, if possible, I would like the laptop to be silver on the inside/where the keyboard is and the cover white.

In all honesty it's quite hard to find a laptop in white with good specs underneath £500, because there black coloured counterparts are much cheaper.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-v...84720-pdt.html
    SONY VPCEH3B1E/W.CEK 15.5" Laptop - White £450

Specs:
    Intel® Core™ i3-2350M
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Memory: 4GB
    Hard drive: 640GB

or for £50 more a better spec version
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-v...84770-pdt.html

SONY VPCEH3N6E/W.CEK 15.5" Laptop – White for £500

Specs:
    Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously the colour is an issue! But I'm sure you could get one for lower than £500 though (just).
    second hand youd be able to get an older model under £500 no doubt but buying one new? no hope in hell unless you try and import them from the states and even then youll get a thrashing from HRC ... theyre good machines and built to last, hence why ive only ever used them but you do have to pay through the ass for those benefits :rolleyes:
    could always spray paint one though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    In all honesty it's quite hard to find a laptop in white with good specs underneath £500, because there black coloured counterparts are much cheaper.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-v...84720-pdt.html
    SONY VPCEH3B1E/W.CEK 15.5" Laptop - White £450

Specs:
    Intel® Core™ i3-2350M

or for £50 more a better spec version
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-v...84770-pdt.html

SONY VPCEH3N6E/W.CEK 15.5" Laptop – White for £500

Specs:
    Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor
    I LOVE THESE, thank-you.

Will add them to the list!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem. As the other poster indicated, don't waste money on an i5+, the laptops get expensive in that range (£500+) and you don't really need it unless you're gaming, programming, video editing, simulations etc.

I mentioned at least 4GB and the HDD space and the i3 2330M+ because I figured you're concerned about looks and thus can search for laptops you like and check the specs.

Some might argue that you don't need 4GB, but whatever, better to have a little extra and it's cheaper.

Just remember that you'll probably need to get Microsoft Office yourself (if you're a student, it's about ~£35).
    Hi,do you know where I can microsoft word for about £35 ?I've been looking but not had much luck
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhstar)
    Hi,do you know where I can microsoft word for about £35 ?I've been looking but not had much luck
    look for student discount etc on microsoft website...if ur at university, they give u discount...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've had my HP for three years and it's insanely hot, the fans are really loud and the battery lasts about an hour max before needing charging again; from what I've heard this is still the same now so I'd stay away from them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.