The Student Room Group

Bristol Vs. Edinburgh for 2012 Undergraduate study

Hi
I currently have an offer from both Bristol and Edinburgh to study Bsc - Maths and Economics course starting in Fall 2012. I need similar grades in A2 for both Universities but I'm not really sure which will be better to go to. The main factors I am most concerned about is the Academics, Connections and how employable you are from this course at these Universities. Any advise you can give me on which University is better and why it is better would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If possible I would also like to know which is better internationally especially as I'm considering doing a postgraduate Masters degree.
Reply 2
Help
Reply 3
Original post by JayXVIII
If possible I would also like to know which is better internationally especially as I'm considering doing a postgraduate Masters degree.

I think Edinburgh is better known internationally, but I could be wrong. For the other things you asked about, surely a good google search would tell you?
Reply 4
I did do a lot of searches but most guides and league tables have them very closely ranked (and not necessarily by the above criteria), which is just one or two spaces apart so I'm struggling with deciding which one to choose.
Reply 5
I have been to both Unis and I liked both of them. I don't really mind the fact that there will be a fourth year, I guess that means that you go into a greater depth of the subject or go at a slightly slower pace to other Universities? Either way I'd just like to ask how was your experience at Edinburgh? Were the Lecturers good? What about the Tutorials and how big is an average class doing Tutorials? I've heard that a lot of the time some postgraduate students teach you in your Tutorials, Is this a good thing? Also just generally how is the support you get from the Uni when you are looking for a job?
Reply 6
Original post by hmaus
I can't tell you about maths specifically, but both unis have great reputations and should help your employability. Whichever you choose, I don't think you could make a bad decision. I went to Edinburgh (for languages) and never had a problem getting job interviews with Edinburgh on my CV. I don't have any personal experience of Bristol but within the UK it seems to be on a par with Edinburgh.

Edinburgh seems quite well known internationally (at least in Europe and America - dunno how well known it is further afield). My European employer specifically wanted to recruit Edinburgh grads.

One big difference would be a 4 year course in Edinburgh compared to a 3 year course in Bristol, so how would you feel about that?

Have you been to look around the unis?

I have been to both Unis and I liked both of them. I don't really mind the fact that there will be a fourth year, I guess that means that you go into a greater depth of the subject or go at a slightly slower pace to other Universities? Either way I'd just like to ask how was your experience at Edinburgh? Were the Lecturers good? What about the Tutorials and how big is an average class doing Tutorials? I've heard that a lot of the time some postgraduate students teach you in your Tutorials, Is this a good thing? Also just generally how is the support you get from the Uni when you are looking for a job?
Reply 7
??
Reply 8
edinburgh takes 4 years for a bsc, bristol takes 3. (unless start in 2nd year at edinburgh)
I'm currently studying maths at Edinburgh (2nd year).

In my opinion Edinburgh is amazing. The university has great facilities and a great support structure in place. As a place Edinburgh feels more like a town whereas Bristol is a bit more urban and has more of a city feel.

There's been a mix of good and bad lecturers.

Tutorials tend to have about 10 people in them. I don't think the tutors being postgrads is necessarily good or bad. In my experience they've all been pretty good.

When I've used the careers service they've been amazingly helpful. You can book appointments with them at any time.

Bristol is probably better rated for maths but I doubt this will particularly matter.
Reply 10
Ok thanks for the help guys.
Reply 11
Anyone else have suggestions?
Reply 12
Do you know what type of career you want to do?
Reply 13
Original post by wachno
Do you know what type of career you want to do?

I'd like to go into investment banking or become an Actuary
Reply 14
Also my School suggests that by going to Bristol after 3 years there is a reasonably high chance of me going to a place like Oxford to do Masters whereas with Edinburgh it is a 4-year course so I'll be getting a masters from Edinburgh which isn't as well looked at as bsc at bristol and the Ma at Oxford. Does anyone know if this is true? Also How hard would it be to get into Oxford for Masters from Bristol?
Bristol by a country mile. Edinburgh is a second rate university.
I'd like to go into investment banking or become an Actuary

The maths department in Edinburgh is a lot better than Bristol's. Besides if finance and statistics lies as your interest, Id almost definitely go for Edinburgh. The module choices and reputation as a Maths department beat Bristol, and If you are really considering a job as a possible actuary, Edinburgh is a great location for the insurance/actuarial profession.

For Investment banking both are good unis to get into, but Id say Bristol has an edge for FO jobs in IB.

overall both choices wouldnt hurt your choices of both professions, as reputation of both universities as a whole is so similar, plus an added bonus is Bristol is a bit more sunnier :P
Reply 17
Original post by JimmiesArentRustle
Bristol by a country mile. Edinburgh is a second rate university.

As is Bristol I believe.....
Also my School suggests that by going to Bristol after 3 years there is a reasonably high chance of me going to a place like Oxford to do Masters whereas with Edinburgh it is a 4-year course so I'll be getting a masters from Edinburgh which isn't as well looked at as bsc at bristol and the Ma at Oxford. Does anyone know if this is true? Also How hard would it be to get into Oxford for Masters from Bristol?
No you won't be getting a masters from Edinburgh on the 4-year course. In the first two years only half your modules are maths. Unless of course you do direct entry to second year.

Also, I wouldn't recommend thinking too far ahead. Things will change for you.
Reply 19
Ok thanks for the advice everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest