The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Mudman
If I'd wanted to be Christian, I would have asked how to become one. Personally, my attention is held better by noisy instruments...

Gospel choir catch your eye?
Reply 41
shinytoy
i was church of england, but then Jesus showed me the Way was through Catholicism. i really am grateful to Him

The Way is not through any specific denomination but through Jesus Christ himself. All denominations in Christianity share the same one fundamental belief that makes them a Christian; that Jesus Christ the Son of God died on the Cross so that all who believe in Him will go to Heaven. Denominations are there because people have different styles of showing their love for Jesus; different practises and ways of worshipping God. Being a Roman Catholic does not make you right with God, Salvation does.
Reply 42
Popa Dom
The point I was making was that someone said God only puts you through stuff that you can cope with, then someone else suggested it only applied if you believed in God, whereas its patently obvious that a 10 year old girl, Christian or not could not cope with such a traumatic experience. Was just getting annoyed with people saying nice-sounding things that really don't mean much.

Ah yeah I get your point because obviously non-Christians can get thorugh traumatic experiences as well but do they fully move on and forgive is they key question.
Gravastar
Gospel choir catch your eye?

ooooh yeah! I'd forgotten about them! That's it, I'm gunna join the choir... Although... Hare Krishnas also have singing, and a lentil throne... Decisions, decisions...
Reply 44
Root
The Way is not through any specific denomination but through Jesus Christ himself. All denominations in Christianity share the same one fundamental belief that makes them a Christian; that Jesus Christ the Son of God died on the Cross so that all who believe in Him will go to Heaven. Denominations are there because people have different styles of showing their love for Jesus; different practises and ways of worshipping God. Being a Roman Catholic does not make you right with God, Salvation does.

Yeah but you gotta admit catholics are way cooler than the others. How many other religions hit their leader on the head with a silver hammer to check if they're really dead?
Reply 45
xXMessedUpXx
But are you happy? Happy with your change to Catholicism? It would seem from you're other thread you are not.

i am happy with my faith and relationship with God but unhappy that i cant find many young devout Catholics to share my prayer and faith with, and my friends laugh and my faith.

i'd like some Catholic friends, but i know He is my true friend
Reply 46
Read Hebrews 10 v 24-25.
Reply 47
Popa Dom
Yeah but you gotta admit catholics are way cooler than the others. How many other religions hit their leader on the head with a silver hammer to check if they're really dead?

How many others tortured and burned thousands of people in previous centuries for *shock horror* wanting the Bible in their own language, not wanting to pay for corrupt priests and buying places into heaven?
Reply 48
Root

for me, i think its about the way you choose to go to get to that salvation. but i do think divorce,abortion,contraception,adultery and premaritial sex and remarriage are mortal sins even if you believe in Him, unless you repent you will go to purgatory or worse.

thats why i needed to come away from the sinful origins of the Cof E (Henry VIII wants a divorce)

also He chose St Peter to show us the way so i believe in the Pope to help me know the way, as well as the Blessed Mother

anyway. God bless im off to bed
:smile:
shinytoy
i am happy with my faith and relationship with God but unhappy that i cant find many young devout Catholics to share my prayer and faith with, and my friends laugh and my faith.

i'd like some Catholic friends, but i know He is my true friend

Hmm are there no churches in your area with other people your age? Perhaps an internet group might help you? I'm sure theres some way you can find others who share you love for your faith and God :smile:
Popa Dom

Is that true?? Please let that be true!
Reply 51
shinytoy
for me, i think its about the way you choose to go to get to that salvation. but i do think divorce,abortion,contraception,adultery and premaritial sex and remarriage are mortal sins even if you believe in Him, unless you repent you will go to purgatory or worse.

thats why i needed to come away from the sinful origins of the Cof E (Henry VIII wants a divorce)

also He chose St Peter to show us the way so i believe in the Pope to help me know the way, as well as the Blessed Mother

anyway. God bless im off to bed
:smile:

You don't get to salvation. You either have it or you don't. Purgatory is a RC tradition, not from the Bible. Peter was indeed the founder of the early Church but was not like the Pope like figure we have today. The Pope has been made to have more authority in Catholicism than God does which is wrong. The Pope makes rules on what he and his Cardinals think God would say.
Reply 52
Helenia
How many others tortured and burned thousands of people in previous centuries for *shock horror* wanting the Bible in their own language, not wanting to pay for corrupt priests and buying places into heaven?

True, but to be fair, when they weren't going through their various torturing people phases they made a good attempt at understanding their religion through reason (eg. St.Thomas Aquinas), whereas I'm led to believe the CofE is fairly theologically unsound (though this was jsut what I was told at Catholic school, so have probably been brainwashed and lied to)

And yes gravastar, its true, possibly the only useful thing I learnt in GCSE RE
Reply 53
Popa Dom
True, but to be fair, when they weren't going through their various torturing people phases they made a good attempt at understanding their religion through reason (eg. St.Thomas Aquinas), whereas I'm led to believe the CofE is fairly theologically unsound (though this was jsut what I was told at Catholic school, so have probably been brainwashed and lied to)

And yes gravastar, its true, possibly the only useful thing I learnt in GCSE RE

I think its fair to question any denomination which doesn't follow everything the Bible says but picks and chooses.
Reply 54
Root
I think its fair to question any denomination which doesn't follow everything the Bible says but picks and chooses.

You mean a denomination which realises that the Bible is in part a historical document and treats it as such when trying to interpret it instead of taking it as blind fact (wasnt it teh catholics who decided which books went in anyway?). I think a denomination which would accept Paul's writings with almost equal weight as the gospels more questionable
Root

And to question the sanity of those that DO follow it to the letter.
Reply 56
Popa Dom
You mean a denomination which realises that the Bible is in part a historical document and treats it as such when trying to interpret it instead of taking it as blind fact (wasnt it teh catholics who decided which books went in anyway?). I think a denomination which would accept Paul's writings with almost equal weight as the gospels more questionable

Pretty much, yes - there are certain other books ("The Apocrypha", I think) that are not included in the standard Bible, including an extra Gospel (Thomas?) which is significantly different from the other 4. I have no idea what's in them though.

I went to a CU-run service once where the sermon was about one of the random letters in the New Testament (Collossians, maybe?). I found it quite disturbing; I feel that while the letters have lots of important messages, they're also only one person's interpretation of how things should be done and various bits and bobs contradict, they're just trying to get the early Church set up.
Reply 57
Popa Dom

Its not a question of which is better than the other. If the writers of the Gospels had gone on to give more teachings it would have been very similar to Paul's teachings as his follow on from the Gospels to every day application as a Christian to love and honour God.
Reply 58
Helenia
Pretty much, yes - there are certain other books ("The Apocrypha", I think) that are not included in the standard Bible, including an extra Gospel (Thomas?) which is significantly different from the other 4. I have no idea what's in them though.

I went to a CU-run service once where the sermon was about one of the random letters in the New Testament (Collossians, maybe?). I found it quite disturbing; I feel that while the letters have lots of important messages, they're also only one person's interpretation of how things should be done and various bits and bobs contradict, they're just trying to get the early Church set up.

Yeah I have real issues with people who are all for the doctrine of atonement for original sin, which, in my opinion, is one of the worst ideas in christianity, and is written by none other than old St. Paul, and so should not be taken as seriously as some take it.
Reply 59
Popa Dom
Yeah I have real issues with people who are all for the doctrine of atonement for original sin, which, in my opinion, is one of the worst ideas in christianity, and is written by none other than old St. Paul, and so should not be taken as seriously as some take it.

Original sin is not in the Bible. I know this for two reasons. Firstly it does not concur with Biblical taching and secondly I just searched the Bible [palmtop version] and its not there. It is a Roman Catholic tradition.

Latest

Trending

Trending