The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nainare
Have you done any work experience or voluntary work so far?

(just thought I'd butt in) I have got a grand total of zero work experience so far :frown: everywhere in my town is refusing me so I have to go and stay with extended family in summer to do it :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by rawragee
(just thought I'd butt in) I have got a grand total of zero work experience so far :frown: everywhere in my town is refusing me so I have to go and stay with extended family in summer to do it :tongue:

Aw don't worry, do you have any voluntary work?
Reply 22
Original post by nainare
Aw don't worry, do you have any voluntary work?

I'm a Brownie leader, and I work in a charity shop :smile: hopefully after summer I'm going to start helping out in a care home and my local hospital seeing as they're all full right now :biggrin:
Reply 23

Every place in my town refused too, I'm travelling to the next town just to do general and dental lab, I'm travelling 3 hours on a train and staying in a B&B just to get some hospital work shadowing under my belt. It's so hard trying to please the admissions teams ... :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by nainare
Every place in my town refused too, I'm travelling to the next town just to do general and dental lab, I'm travelling 3 hours on a train and staying in a B&B just to get some hospital work shadowing under my belt. It's so hard trying to please the admissions teams ... :frown:

it's awful! I'm going to end up only having about two (or slightly more) weeks of work experience by the time my application will be sent off, either that or I miss loads of school :s-smilie: will they take work experience planned for the future (i.e october/christmas holidays) into account?
Reply 25
it's awful! I'm going to end up only having about two (or slightly more) weeks of work experience by the time my application will be sent off, either that or I miss loads of school :s-smilie: will they take work experience planned for the future (i.e october/christmas holidays) into account?

Yes, I think if you mention that you have some planned then it should be fine. I think you should carry on trying, seriously it took me around 4 months just to get some sorted. You have loads of time ...
Reply 26
Original post by nainare
Yes, I think if you mention that you have some planned then it should be fine. I think you should carry on trying, seriously it took me around 4 months just to get some sorted. You have loads of time ...

I don't really actually, I'm unable to get any experience in NHS work etc until I'm 16, which isn't until late July and I go back to school mid August (I have about three weeks) and everywhere so far has refused to even talk to me/arrange it before I'm 16 :frown:
Hopefully I'm applying to dentistry this year :smile:
Reply 28
I applied this year, if you want any advice I'll be happy to try my best :smile:
Reply 29
Hi I will also be applying this year for dentistry as a graduate :smile:
Reply 30
my summer work experience just fell through! worst news I could have at the moment, I'm mid exams so I don't have the time to try and sort something else out at the moment :frown: looks like I'll be calling every dental practice in Scotland at this rate..
Reply 31
my summer work experience just fell through! worst news I could have at the moment, I'm mid exams so I don't have the time to try and sort something else out at the moment :frown: looks like I'll be calling every dental practice in Scotland at this rate..

Aw nooo! Did you have any other experience booked? You still have time to organise some. :yes:
Reply 32
Hey guys, I've written a few blogs about preparation etc and interviews which you may find helpful:
http://mydentistryjourney.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/the-journey-so-far/
i dont know. i am really scared. i am doing as and i am predicted AAAB but in my jan for bio i got E and chem i got U. I resat them this june and more confident about those papers but I think i completely failed my maths coz the paper wasss sooo hard.

so i was wondering what to do? shall i just keep pursing my dream of being a dentist or dont?
please help :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by strangerme
i dont know. i am really scared. i am doing as and i am predicted AAAB but in my jan for bio i got E and chem i got U. I resat them this june and more confident about those papers but I think i completely failed my maths coz the paper wasss sooo hard.

so i was wondering what to do? shall i just keep pursing my dream of being a dentist or dont?
please help :frown:

Do Dental Hygiene and Therapy or Pharmacy instead.
Original post by dandh
Do Dental Hygiene and Therapy or Pharmacy instead.

isnt pharmacy very very hard??
i mean like if do dental hygiene first and then would it be possible to do dental degree like in a postgraduate study?
Reply 36
Heyyy found out I'll be able to one week at an Integrated Health Centre which has various different dental departments. They said I might be able to observe GA too, but they'll have to check with the hospital. They do paediatric, elderly, community, restorative .. abit of everything, excited now. :biggrin:
Reply 37
I'm hoping to apply for Cardiff. I'm really concerned for the multiple mini interviews though...
Reply 38
Original post by Kirby711
I'm hoping to apply for Cardiff. I'm really concerned for the multiple mini interviews though...

Send you application off and get an interview first before you start worrying. :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by Kirby711

MMI wasn't too bad from my experience, however I didn't get an interview from Cardiff, theirs sounded interesting to say the least from what I have read in other threads :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest