The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by musli-cat
i was wondering how much work experience/ extracurricular activities/ volunteering or anything else you've done to be able to get all those interviews, thanks! :smile:

I did 2 weeks oral and maxfax dept in a hospital, 1 week general dental practice, 1 week volunteering on a trauma ward. Learning piano...doing a sports massage diploma...crafty things for manual dexterity like cake decorating and calligraphy. So yeh not a ridiculous amount. I think my statemen was written well and I have a good academic history..also got a prize for Coming top in 2nd year at uni. Quality not quantity :smile: just need to be able to describe well what the experiences teach you and how the skills you've learnt will equippe you well for dentistry. :smile:
Reply 61
When is everyone thinking about starting their personal statements?
Reply 62
Well, my careers and guidance teachers all told me to get the personal statement started and pretty much DONE during the summer vacation. Our internal deadline for applications is what, the second or third week of September- and they're REALLY fussy about us not meeting the internal deadlines. Think I'll start working on it after my IB mock exams are done, though. That's pretty much August.
Reply 63
I'm so excited ... just think, the Leeds interviews are taking place 17th December 2012 this year ... we'll know by the end of this year if we've got into Leeds or not!!! :eek3:
Reply 64
Original post by LL1
I did 2 weeks oral and maxfax dept in a hospital, 1 week general dental practice, 1 week volunteering on a trauma ward. Learning piano...doing a sports massage diploma...crafty things for manual dexterity like cake decorating and calligraphy. So yeh not a ridiculous amount. I think my statemen was written well and I have a good academic history..also got a prize for Coming top in 2nd year at uni. Quality not quantity :smile: just need to be able to describe well what the experiences teach you and how the skills you've learnt will equippe you well for dentistry. :smile:

Thanks! That's rather comforting, I was getting a bit worried I wouldn't have done enough by the time it came to apply :smile:
Reply 65
Thanks you @Ayshizzle and@MissRiah12345 and everyone else for the responses.
Reply 66
Original post by Lama88
I am considering Dentistry but its a hard decision for me between Dentistry or medicine . I'll see how I do in my AS results . :smile:

I am in the EXACT same position as you! Still no idea which to choose and was going to wait until AS results as well and then choose.
Reply 67
Why is everyone waiting till after AS results to decide between Dentistry and Medicine? That'll be too late (for either) as you need to be doing all the work experience between the end of the exams and mid-sept as that's when basically you'll have handed in you personal statement :smile:

Just a word of advice after being through the loooong and tough process :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by rickydentistry
Hi, this is probably a really stupid question.... but im an international student and im wondering when exactly do i apply for 2013 entry? Does it open up in september for everyone?

Assuming you're applying through UCAS, yes. You can apply from September 1 to October 15, so you better get cracking on that personal statement!
Reply 69
Original post by bigbottle
I'm so excited ... just think, the Leeds interviews are taking place 17th December 2012 this year ... we'll know by the end of this year if we've got into Leeds or not!!! :eek3:

They start interviews then, I didn't hear whether I had one or not well into february

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
so does everyone applying this year take the UKCAT OCT 5th 2012 ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
so does everyone applying this year take the UKCAT OCT 5th 2012 ?

No, UKCAT can be taken anytime from the 3rd of July to the 5th of October. I'd advise doing it before October so you have time to research which Uni's you would like to apply to with your UKCAT score in mind.
Reply 72
Original post by Vian
No, UKCAT can be taken anytime from the 3rd of July to the 5th of October. I'd advise doing it before October so you have time to research which Uni's you would like to apply to with your UKCAT score in mind.

Good advice

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Vian

Ahh, ok. Thanks for answering both of my questions btw :smile:
Reply 74
Ahh, ok. Thanks for answering both of my questions btw :smile:

No problem at all! Us dental applicants have to look out for each other cuz if we don't, who will?

Though once we graduate, you're going down :aetsch:.
Reply 75
Original post by Ayshizzle
Hi all, I'm a dental student at Newcastle. If any of you need help with your applications, or want info on the course/uni/Newcastle in general please feel free to PM me.

Good luck! :smile:

Hi I'm thinking of applying to do dentsitry in 2013 but I really don't want to go to a traditional dental school which is heavily lectures and essay based
Can you please tell me which dental schools are better for modern teaching e.g. lots of practicals and group work :smile:
Original post by mahum
Hi I'm thinking of applying to do dentsitry in 2013 but I really don't want to go to a traditional dental school which is heavily lectures and essay based
Can you please tell me which dental schools are better for modern teaching e.g. lots of practicals and group work :smile:

Dental schools with a lot of practicals and group work. Well Dental school's with a lot of group work would be Manchester, Liverpool (off the top of my head) who have Problem-based learning style teaching (PBL). Research more about PBL if you've never heard of it - it is basically learning around scenarios and by group work.

By "practical work" if you mean clinics then all Dental school's let their students see patients from 3rd year onwards. Some Dental schools do this earlier than others, such as Leeds who do clinical work (not much) in 1st year.
I am also applying to dental school this year, currently going through the UKCAT resources that I have to help me prepare for the test, it's such a drag :yawn:.
Reply 78
Original post by racheatworld
Dental schools with a lot of practicals and group work. Well Dental school's with a lot of group work would be Manchester, Liverpool (off the top of my head) who have Problem-based learning style teaching (PBL). Research more about PBL if you've never heard of it - it is basically learning around scenarios and by group work.

By "practical work" if you mean clinics then all Dental school's let their students see patients from 3rd year onwards. Some Dental schools do this earlier than others, such as Leeds who do clinical work (not much) in 1st year.

okay thankyou :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by rowdy-rathore
I am also applying to dental school this year, currently going through the UKCAT resources that I have to help me prepare for the test, it's such a drag :yawn:.

i no what you mean, we've just finished our as levels we kinda need a break over the summer
Plus the test is soo long :eek: but i guess it will all be worth it

Quick Reply

Latest