Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your religion is the one true religion, why didn't G-d introduce it to everyone?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I originally posted this as a PM to someone but as of yet they haven't replied so I thought I might post this for discussion purposes. I don't want to offend anyone, or cause an argument, I would just like a discussion. Obviously, that's not likely to happen, but it would be nice if people could try and not insult each other. Thanks.

I was raised in a Jewish household (albeit not the most religious household) but recently I've started having serious doubts about religion as a whole. Not quite sure how I feel about the existence of G-d, so I guess that makes me agnostic? Anyway...

This has been bugging me for a while. Ok, so if you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, you'd agree that there's only one G-d. But you'd also agree that it's the same G-d for Jews, Christians and Muslims because Christianity and Islam are essentially evolutions of Judaism. Ignoring the fact that there are various things that all three of those religions disagree on, let's go back to the fundamentals: the Ten Commandments.

If G-d wanted everyone to obey him and worship him (and he does), why did he only give the Ten Commandments to one small group of people, in an isolated area in the world? Why, not to various different prophets all over the world? Surely, it would have been better, and far more efficient to reveal himself to everyone? And yet, there are so many religions that do not even revolve around the Ten Commandments: Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Taoism, Scientology, Jainism.

Now (some) Christians feel compelled to convert people in order to save them from eternal damnation. Judaism is different because its laws only apply to people who are 'born Jewish' i.e. born of a Jewish mother. While Jews have 613 rules to follow, the rest of the world has only 7 to follow in order to go to Heaven. However, I have my issues with the 'born Jewish' idea as there is no biological reason for someone being 'born Jewish'. There is nothing in our DNA that suggests a Jewish gene. But that's for another time.

But, for Christianity, it's pretty much a standard thing: if you don't believe in Christ, you 'aint going to Heaven. 'No one gets to the Father except through me'. Would it not have been easier then, for G-d to manifest himself in more that one human form, not just Jesus? Why only Jesus, in one part of the world, to a relatively small group of people?

I know there are a lot of people who argue that G-d wouldn't let good people of other religions go to Hell. But if you believe the Bible is the word of G-d, then only Christians will go to Heaven. If G-d loves everyone then surely he wants everyone to go to Heaven. Therefore, why didn't he let the entire world know about him? Hardly fair if one area of the world believes something because they saw it first hand and the rest of the world is expected to believe it from other people that tell them it's true.

The same goes for Islam. Why not have prophets all over the world spreading the same message? Why only Muhammad and why only in Arabia?

The same applies to Hinduism, Sikhism, etc. If any of these religions are true, why did the respective gods of these religions only introduce it in such a small area of the world and to a small amount of people?

Discuss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have also wondered this, you'd think, if there was a one "true" religion that that religion's believers would pop up randomly but evenly distributed all throughout the world, and countries wouldn't be dominated by different religions
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered what happens to people in remote tribes who have never been exposed to religion. Seems harsh to send them to hell.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's because God wants people to discover it themselves, rather than to just have it, although I don't know.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inadilemma)
    I originally posted this as a PM to someone but as of yet they haven't replied so I thought I might post this for discussion purposes. I don't want to offend anyone, or cause an argument, I would just like a discussion. Obviously, that's not likely to happen, but it would be nice if people could try and not insult each other. Thanks.

I was raised in a Jewish household (albeit not the most religious household) but recently I've started having serious doubts about religion as a whole. Not quite sure how I feel about the existence of G-d, so I guess that makes me agnostic? Anyway...

This has been bugging me for a while. Ok, so if you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, you'd agree that there's only one G-d. But you'd also agree that it's the same G-d for Jews, Christians and Muslims because Christianity and Islam are essentially evolutions of Judaism. Ignoring the fact that there are various things that all three of those religions disagree on, let's go back to the fundamentals: the Ten Commandments.

If G-d wanted everyone to obey him and worship him (and he does), why did he only give the Ten Commandments to one small group of people, in an isolated area in the world? Why, not to various different prophets all over the world? Surely, it would have been better, and far more efficient to reveal himself to everyone? And yet, there are so many religions that do not even revolve around the Ten Commandments: Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Taoism, Scientology, Jainism.

Now (some) Christians feel compelled to convert people in order to save them from eternal damnation. Judaism is different because it's laws only apply to people who are 'born Jewish' i.e. born of a Jewish mother. While Jews have 613 rules to follow, the rest of the world has only 7 to follow in order to go to Heaven. However, I have my issues with the 'born Jewish' idea as there is no biological reason for someone being 'born Jewish'. There is nothing in our DNA that suggests a Jewish gene. But that's for another time.

But, for Christianity, it's pretty much a standard thing: if you don't believe in Christ, you 'aint going to Heaven. 'No one gets to the Father except through me'. Would it not have been easier then, for G-d to manifest himself in more that one human form, not just Jesus? Why only Jesus, in one part of the world, to a relatively small group of people?

I know there are a lot of people who argue that G-d wouldn't let good people of other religions go to Hell. But if you believe the Bible is the word of G-d, then only Christians will go to Heaven. If G-d loves everyone then surely he wants everyone to go to Heaven. Therefore, why didn't he let the entire world know about him? Hardly fair if one area of the world believes something because they saw it first hand and the rest of the world is expected to believe it from other people that tell them it's true.

The same goes for Islam. Why not have prophets all over the world spreading the same message? Why only Muhammad and why only in Arabia?

The same applies to Hinduism, Sikhism, etc. If any of these religions are true, why did the respective gods of these religions only introduce it in such a small area of the world and to a small amount of people?

Discuss.
    The only answer you'll get from Theology is an "Err..." and some handwaving.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomclarky)
    I've always wondered what happens to people in remote tribes who have never been exposed to religion. Seems harsh to send them to hell.
    Precisely. And lots of those remote tribes have some sort of religion of their own anyway (although completely removed from any modern forms of religion). They obviously believe that's true and yet the rest of the world has never heard of it.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're not sent to hell.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Source?

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Does it say that in the bible, out of interest?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's a troll

(Original post by goape)
    Source?

In most religions the unlearned are spared.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it goes that if you have heard the truth of the Bible/Qur'an and forcibly denied this supposed truth then you will go to hell. People who haven't heard about it (isolated tribes) will be judged on their actions only.

This is my understanding of it though, others may have differing opinions/interpretations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If God exists he/she/it hates us because much more people will go to hell than heaven because they are unaware of the existence of the one true religion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I asked this to my father once (granted he's not the be all and end all of religious advice) but apparently they will go to hell because islam reaches out to them and if there is always a way to reach it. If they dont then....

Human BBQ i guess
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    He's a troll

Out of curiosity, what happens to the learned who are unable to believe?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    One in four people is Muslim, anyone who hears of Islam and becomes a Muslim their past sins are forgiven so it doesn't matter when they hear about Islam but whether they choose to become a Muslim or not.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

If G-d wanted everyone to obey him and worship him (and he does), why did he only give the Ten Commandments to one small group of people, in an isolated area in the world?
    Hello Inadilemma,

You have awesome, very difficult questions, but very good ones!

I personally believe that God made people with free will, as in not robots. He didn't program people to do and say what He wants. However, I do believe that God gave people the ability to seek Him if they want to. It does seem very strongly to me that God wants people to want to seek Him and to do so.

Concerning your question above, it doesn't start with the ten commandments actually. The story begins at the beginning (Genesis.)

God created the earth to be "good." If you notice, the food He gave to Adam and Eve was not animal's flesh, but rather fruit. For this reason, I believe God originally created animal life (including humans) to eat vegetation only. I believe that is good in the fact that no animal (including humans) died during this short-lived time. I personally believe that the first animal killed was after Adam and Eve disobeyed God's one commandment to them. and that some animals began to grow carnivorous characteristics.

So, when God created life on earth, it was not His intention for them to start killing each other. When Cain killed Abel, God demanded an account from Cain, asking him what he had done. Cain replied with the famous words "Am I my brother's keeper?" To me, this shows that God did not create people with the purpose of killing other people, but rather, humans through their free will, influenced the future of the earth in a very negative way

Humans had gotten so wicked after awhile that God decided to destroy most of His Creation, but allow a remnant to survive through Noah. Why? Because it hurt Him emotionally that humans were so evil. That was not His plan for humans to be. After the ark landed, God allowed humans to eat other animals' flesh.

Now, did God know all this way before He created the earth? Yes. However, God thought it worthwhile to create life on earth anyways, because He loves His Creation.

Way before Moses' time, God chose Abram and promised him that he would bless all peoples through him. I think that's so cool! Even though my ancestry is not Jewish, I am not jealous, but rather it blows my mind how God, who allows people to do their own thing, chose a man who I believe sought and loves God (Abram) and promised to bless all people through his offspring!!!

Again before Moses' time, after Noah, there were the Noahtide laws, that are basically for everyone. They include not hurting people (by killing, stealing, committing adultery.)

During and after Moses' time, God stipulated that any foreigner who wants to seek God, should be allowed to do so. This means that it is basically up to every person to decide if they want to follow God or not.

So, to directly answer your first question:
    "If G-d wanted everyone to obey him and worship him (and he does), why did he only give the Ten Commandments to one small group of people, in an isolated area in the world?"

He judges people based on all their "equation." Just because other people did not have the Ten Commandments, that does not mean that many did not seek and find Him where they were (which was not where Moses was.)

Why, not to various different prophets all over the world? Surely, it would have been better, and far more efficient to reveal himself to everyone? And yet, there are so many religions that do not even revolve around the Ten Commandments: Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Taoism, Scientology, Jainism.

Now (some) Christians feel compelled to convert people in order to save them from eternal damnation. Judaism is different because it's laws only apply to people who are 'born Jewish' i.e. born of a Jewish mother. While Jews have 613 rules to follow, the rest of the world has only 7 to follow in order to go to Heaven. However, I have my issues with the 'born Jewish' idea as there is no biological reason for someone being 'born Jewish'. There is nothing in our DNA that suggests a Jewish gene. But that's for another time.
    Lol yes some Christians do try to save others from eternal damnation, which I personally think comes from a caring heart. If a person truly thought that others would go to an eternal torture chamber after they died for not being "Christian", then it would be completely heartless to not try to "save" as many people as possible from such a horrible destiny, hmm?

As a Christian who loves to study the Tanakh, it has come to my attention that there is a marked difference between the Jewish and the modern Christian beliefs about hell. I believe this is due to Greco-Roman influence in the Christian world after the Jewish apostles of Jesus died.

If one studies what the Jewish apostles of Jesus said, they do not teach about an eternal torture chamber for those who don't accept Jesus... (See Acts) so that's why I think there's a lot of Greco-Roman influence in Christian thought, which makes sense as well seeing as most Christians since Rome destroyed Jerusalem are Gentiles, with Rome becoming the first "Christian" state.

I believe that there's a much huger picture than just the part we are given... God knows the whole puzzle, while we only see pieces. I need to find C.S. Lewis' writings, because he does seem to address a point similar to the questions above.
    If you read Jesus' words accounted in the Gospels of the Bible, He doesn't mention hell for those who don't believe in him. He does say that he is the way, the truth, and the life. However, when Jesus does mention hell, it is interesting that hell is emphasized as the place where those who don't help other people go. Please research hell in the Bible, and one can see that.

Discuss.
    Since I am a Christian, I can only express my personal viewpoint. I am interested in seeing what others write.

Peace and God bless you
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but it's up to one to develop their own rational opinion, rather than just accepting everything blindly in a book, even if it was influenced by God.

(Original post by goape)
    Source?

It's my view.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)

so they automatically get a free ticket into heaven because they were born in the jungle in the middle of nowhere?

doesn't seem very fair to me
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSG1992)
    Out of curiosity, what happens to the learned who are unable to believe?
    i.e you don't see enough evidence? I've heard 2 ideas

1. You go to hell (because there is evidence)
    2. You'll go to heaven if you ask for forgiveness because you'd only go to hell if you reject god with the bottom of your heart.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    interesting post, i presume you do already know all posts here are mere speculations as well..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 9, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.