The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you considered changing course at your university? If you get a certain mark in your exams, they might let you change course even if you don't quite meet the a level requirements. As for the fees, it's really up to you and what you value more- saving £6000 a year (not insignificant at all) or having a more enjoyable time for the next few years.
To be completely honest with you - Law is very competitive and if you want to get into an AAA uni you will need to push your A-level grades up (go back to college and re-sit, possibly). You could get into a Law School with ABB but they won't be 'the best' Law school which will affect which type of Law firm you end up joining (if you manage to secure a pupillage and get that far). For instance, it's doubtful that you'd be in a magic circle firm with ABB and a Law degree from any uni which isn't top 10. The reality would be a high street family law/criminal law firm, earning under 25k (you can earn more as a new teacher!).

But when your start looking for a pupillage things will be tricky because some firms simply don't look at anything below AAB (yes, they don't just consider your degree). So you could end up with a Law degree from an average uni but not be able to actually work as a solicitor/barrister due to your A-levels.

So if you really want Law then either:

a) Improve your A-level grades and apply to AAB/AAA Law schools
b) Stick with your current grades of ABB and get a place at an ABB school, then hope that luck is on your side to secure a pupillage.

Original post by tiredtired007

My only problem is my A-levels are ABB (Maths, Chem and Bio), many of the unis I'm interested in require AAA the only dilemma is how would I look as a retake A-level student entering uni aged 21 and most likely have to pick up an A-level history degree?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here, but regarding your age - that's irrelevent. Unis are concerned about academic ability. Re-sits are viewed differently according to unis and courses - so you would have to read the particular entry requirements and/or contact the uni department concerned.

You could get into a decent uni for History with ABB. You could also then do a Law conversion with a History degree and ABB at A-level but the conversion course is ridiculously expensive so the 9k increase in fees for your BA is frankly the least of your financial worries! It is the conversion course (GDL) and the LPC that you ought to be concerned about. The fees are insane so unless you have a very nice and very rich relative or win some cash then you're going to struggle.

If you are really unhappy with your current degree then History may be your best option - Law is going to be a lot more expensive and complicated whether or not you do the LLB or the GDL route. If your really want to do Law though, you need to decide between the LLB or GDL route and then get a ton of experience and work hard.

Good luck!

Edit: I realise that this sounds quite negative in regard to Law - but the unis who take on people with less than AAB are concerned about getting the fees from those people and teaching them the LLB - beyond that it's your responsibilty. I'm trying to point out that Law is actually much more complicated than just getting an LLB and practicing - the unis don't mention it a lot because they obviously want you to spend your money (loans) at their institution.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending