Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Get bigger pecs

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm trying to get bigger pecs (and some sort of definition on my chest), but I don't have a gym membership.

I've got a dumbbell, and recently bought a chest expander thinking this would help. However, I'm not really sure which exercises with the chest expander will help the most? Is just holding it out straight in front, and then moving my arms outwards to stretch it the best exercise?

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get bigger pecs without using weights do pushups. Pushups --> Clap pushups --> Weighted Pushups, depending on your strength level.

I wouldn't waste time with the chest expander thing, i'm not saying its useless but you're much better off doing pushups.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Post your height and weight.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Learn how to flex your pecs. That is extremely important. Then use that mind muscle connection when you do your pushups/DB benches or whatever.

Your pectoral muscles are not involved the motion you described. They are mainly involved with internally rotate the shoulder joint and bringing your arms together, hence excercises such as cable crossovers/db flyes etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pushups with a rucksack, fill it up when it starts getting easy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    7 second pushups, you go down slowly in 4 seconds, hold for 2 without anything touching the floor, up in 1 second and repeat, this extended way has really helped me, and it negates the need to start filling up rucksacks for a while, quick pushups aren't gonna do nearly as much good as these 7 second pushups (or longer) I do 100 (13, 5 seconds, 12, 20 seconds)x4 when doing chest home workouts, and ive seen massive improvement in size a definition (people have been commenting as well :3)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    incline db press.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weighted dips cause some horrible pains through my chest area...so maybe try them

+40kg 3x5...I've only just started doing them weighted so I don't even think that is particularly good. I'm guessing dipping + bw is where it is at if lean. Will try and do by the end of the year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Incline flyes gave my the most thickness, but it didnt look nice.

I started doing LOADS of chest dips and now I have 'slab' shaped pecs and it looks aesthetic

That sort of shape, the wideness
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love boulder shoulders... shame you can only get them on steds.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    I love boulder shoulders... shame you can only get them on steds.
    That's retarded

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.