Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever lost your faith? How did you deal with it?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I "dealt" with it by getting confirmed against my will, and then rejecting the church entirely when my grandmother would NOT stop going on and on and on at me about god, jesus, and everything else.

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify. She went on and on in a manner that wasn't helpful to my doubt at the time: she wasn't interested in why I was questioning god's existence, she just kept stubbornly sticking to the line that he does exist and eventually if the message was bashed into my skull enough I'd stop doubting. That just drove me further away, and now I feel confident in my belief that he doesn't exist, but if she'd discussed with me properly at the time...maybe things would be different.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Yup, I "dealt" with it by getting confirmed against my will, and then rejecting the church entirely when my grandmother would NOT stop going on and on and on at me about god, jesus, and everything else.

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify. She went on and on in a manner that wasn't helpful to my doubt at the time: she wasn't interested in why I was questioning god's existence, she just kept stubbornly sticking to the line that he does exist and eventually if the message was bashed into my skull enough I'd stop doubting. That just drove me further away, and now I feel confident in my belief that he doesn't exist, but if she'd discussed with me properly at the time...maybe things would be different.
    Same here, I agree, though I haven't completely lost my faith. I've noticed people say this - people push them away. I'm very open-minded to I'm open to all views but when someone comes and starts forcefully imposing their views on me, then that pushes me away. I'm not against religion, but I don't like the way some religious peoplen conduct themselves. It's very un-religious. Imo, religion should be a personal thing. Religious people shouldn't go imposing their views on others. They can suggest and offer the religion (e.g. offer someone to come to their church) but don't impose the faith on others.

Recently I've spoken to the reverend's wife at my Church (CofE) and she's very open-minded and understanding. She even said that the reverend sometimes questions the Christian faith, and she said that in her opinion, a good Christian will question their faith rather than blindly following it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I lost my faith 6 years ago. Reading the Bible as a historical and scientific text does that.

Really didn't bother me too much. I realised that I don't believe in anything that has no evidence supporting it, but I was believing in God. I looked for the evidence, all of the arguments for God either appeal to emotion, or goes along the lines of; "There's no evidence that he doesn't exist!"

The arguments against God just make more sence. No twisted logic, its simple; "there is no evidence."
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atheism is more difficult, I know that... but it's ultimately far more rewarding. It means you have to think for your self, to build up your own moral and philosophical sphere, but you will be a better person for it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watch.

Your life is no longer part of somebody's plan; your life is part of the universe, something far greater and more complex than any character man has dreamt up. When you start to see the universe for what it really is, and not through the primitive, anthropocentric imagination of ancient goat herders, you will be left with a far more real sense of awe and majesty.

Your life is your own. You are no deity's play thing, you are no pawn in a game of myth and magic, you are a human being on planet Earth, a complex biological life form on an incomprehensibly rare and beautiful planet spinning through an astonishingly vast, ancient and magnificent cosmos. Live, love and make your life your own, and die in the knowledge that you were part of something unfathomably awesome, and will continue to be part of it when the atoms that made your body return into the vast and stunning world around you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There wasn't any particular thing that made me question God's existence - I've just gradually become more comfortable with the idea that we may have ended up here for some beyond-us-at-the-moment reason other than God, that life may have no real meaning/purpose and that nothing happens when we die!

I think another major reason I've become agnostic is because the only reason I was religious in the first place was because of the way I was brought up - it wasn't really a personal choice. I don't think I've ever felt "filled with the Holy Spirit" or anything!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to me when I moved to the UK. I just think you need to look elsewhere for a sense of 'reason' (try science! )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when I realised I was bisexual and most religions, not just Christianity, would say "it's wrong, unnatural". So then I'm now an agnostic I figured, if god does exist, then he wouldn't make mistakes so not being heterosexual is in fact natural and not evil.
    I also found a LGBT friendly Christian group which I go to about once every few months or so
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was about 9 years old
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I stopped believing in God about the same time I stopped believing in Santa.

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I lost my faith and felt much better There is no meaning to life, you have to make your life meaningful. And you can do that however you please
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have asked very difficult questions about my faith at many times, and I have always been fortunate to have access to deeply religious people who would meet me where I was and not judge me. These people opened up and shared with me about their own lives and their own times of doubt and questioning. For me this was a huge blessing. My faith in God has grown stronger over the years and while I rarely talk about it, it is certainly the richest and most sacred part of my life. I appreciate the words of St. Francis of Assisi when he said "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary use words."

I was raised Presbyterian but 7 years ago I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy (Greek) after reading Timothy Ware's book on the Eastern Orthodox Church. Since the beginning of Christianity there have always been academics who were devout, so I have never felt that I needed to check my brain at the door in order to be a spiritual person. Additionally, being a Christian is by far one of the most difficult things I have ever done, in terms of continually striving to place others before myself in ways great and small, and in struggling to forgive people who wound me. I wish you all the best with your own journey.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    I lost my faith and felt much better There is no meaning to life, you have to make your life meaningful. And you can do that however you please
    :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just in attempt to balance some of the more jubilant atheism here, I'd point out that the lack of evidence for faith is completely irrelevant: we all know that there is no empirical proof that God exists, but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist.

On a more relevant note, I've never lost my faith but I have felt disconnected from God at times. If you truly cannot believe, then I can't make you. But don't give up on finding God, or God finding you; we all have moments of doubt, but there are also moments of certainty. Just keep your mind open. Even if you can't believe, don't ridicule faith, as it is only as ridiculous as the rest of the world; if you decide it's unfathomably stupid, you risk being no different to those who deny the importance of science in our understanding of the world.

If you've never consistently been, I might suggest going to church at some point. Not now, as it's clear that you are not a position in which you feel ready to believe and you cannot force it. But in a few months, with an open mind and no concern for what others think of you, just try it and see what happens.

I wish you all the best no matter what you find yourself believing, and pray it leads you somewhere good.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actually Working)
    Just in attempt to balance some of the more jubilant atheism here, I'd point out that the lack of evidence for faith is completely irrelevant: we all know that there is no empirical proof that God exists, but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist.

On a more relevant note, I've never lost my faith but I have felt disconnected from God at times. If you truly cannot believe, then I can't make you. But don't give up on finding God, or God finding you; we all have moments of doubt, but there are also moments of certainty. Just keep your mind open. Even if you can't believe, don't ridicule faith, as it is only as ridiculous as the rest of the world; if you decide it's unfathomably stupid, you risk being no different to those who deny the importance of science in our understanding of the world.

If you've never consistently been, I might suggest going to church at some point. Not now, as it's clear that you are not a position in which you feel ready to believe and you cannot force it. But in a few months, with an open mind and no concern for what others think of you, just try it and see what happens.

I wish you all the best no matter what you find yourself believing, and pray it leads you somewhere good.
    I feel like that a lot of the time.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone on here who has ever lost faith (or is losing faith) as a result of going through traumatic experiences?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    So up until 3 weeks ago I think I still believed in God. But then about 2 weeks ago I was praying and I was like "Why am I doing this? I don't believe in God".

I thought it would feel like I'd lost a lot more, but it doesn't matter that much. Now I'm at uni I don't need God as much. I've got good friends who are better at supporting me than God ever was. They answer back when I talk to them.

The only issue is that I'm a bit lost without God. I just feel a bit like what do I do now? Has anyone else lost their faith? It wasn't like I followed any particular rules or lifestyle, it was just that I felt like I had more direction, more certainty in my reason for existence. Now I'm struggling to think of a reason for my existence, and this combined with a bleak imagined future is making me very depressed and I'm wondering what is the point of continuing to exist...

It doesn't feel like I've been freed because I'm not going to behave any differently, just I'm not going to pray to or worship anymore because I don't see the point.

I used to feel like the whole universe was connected like some grand design, like the thing about galaxies and sunflowers having the same pattern or something. Now, I don't feel connected to anything. If I could have my faith back I probably would, but you can't force a belief.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm depressed by this new-found atheism, just as if I don't know what to do with myself and I'm gonna have a really lonely future.

Have you ever lost your faith? How did you deal with it?
    Hello Willbee,

I've never lost my faith, but I have questioned it severely. Life is an interesting experience, which includes joys and sorrows. What helped me during times of sorrows in my life was praying my feelings and frustrated thoughts to God. God is not afraid of us... He is not fearful of us being honest with Him about how we feel and our frustrations. He knows we're limited... He made us that way.

Another thing that helped me was studying the book of Job, because Job went through very difficult things, but he never cursed God. Now, I most definitely believe that God forgives those who curse Him who repent. However, reading about Job's life and his faith in God and in God being good despite all the horrible pain and suffering and heartbreak he went through, really encouraged me in my own faith, because I understand I'm just a teeny tiny living dot on this planet called earth, that goes around a star that's not even the biggest star in our galaxy... so because I believe that God is greater than the universe, it helps me to put things a bit more into perspective, and to just trust that as a human who has only a limited time on this earth, I don't know the big picture. God does.

Peace and God bless you
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nooshkabob)
    Hi, I've definitely had my ups and downs in my relationship with God and recently have found myself wondering, do I even believe this? is God even real? what's the point in following Him, i cannot sense him in any way...
    However, i've concluded that god must exist... there are so many arguments for it, but for me the teleological argument is the most convincing - look around you at the complexity of the world around us, that cannot have been formed simply out of coincidence. I suppose the real issue is having a relationship with that God (not romantic, just knowing each other...). I've found that because of how i've been brought up, knowing or not knowing God hasn't impacted my lifestyle, my morals are still the same, and i'm happy regardless. I just give myself the freedom to take it at my own pace. I'll pray and worship if i want to, but if i don't then i won't, because i don't want to sing songs where all the words are just hypocritical lies for me. I think discussing it with other people is helpful... and asking people who have had their faith all their lives how they do it!
    I can sympathise with what you've said and I think that 'having a break' from God can be a good thing, where you can assess if following God is what you really want to do. As a christian i've been taught that we are imperfect, so i have concluded that following God must be more about trying than succeeding. It's normal to have questions and challenge your faith - it shows that you aren't just swallowing what's given to you, and that you have a hunger for something more, and greater understanding i guess.
    Another thing to consider is that even if we leave God, He doesn't leave us. He didn't create us to have a lonely future, rather it says in Jeremiah 'For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'
    I don't know whether i'd say i've lost my faith or not... I'm certainly by no means burning with a passion for God like i did when i was a kid, but i still have the hope in Him, that even if i feel that i don't know Him, or ever hear from Him, He knows me, and that the future could be a bright place... hope it helps a bit?
    Your God also made the Blob fish, HIV and Stalin
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Well, actually I was doing the opposite. I had questions about my religion, my faith - real questions, not doubts - and I assumed that my faith was strong enough to withstand the answers those questions. I had questions about Christianity which I asked my family's immediate Christian community, but I often received conflicting answers (for example questions about dinosaurs, evolution, Noah's Ark or biblical literalism and teachings), and I thought that there were genuine answers to these. I wanted to strengthen my faith by finding these answers. I was devout, truly.

After I began to realise that the answers I was receiving from the Christians I knew in person mostly conflicted, I tried looking online. Online I discovered no reassurances, only the most incredible arguments, the sheer force of which I was completely unprepared to address. The arguments against my position were so strong, and my defences so weak, that there was nothing I could do. I tried to find arguments to counter them, to support Christianity, but simply exposing myself to the articulate explanations detailing the short-comings of my position, of religion in general, and giving a fair hearing to them, zapped my faith entirely over a period of a few weeks. There was no way for me to honestly reconcile Christian faith after exposure to atheism on the internet, I mean that.

You say that I admit that God still exists, I don't mean to. A personal frailty of mine wishes genuinely to be able to acknowledge a God, for there to be a God, a place to go, a person to comfort me when I need him. I want there to be a God, I want to believe in one, but only if it's genuine.

I have heard your story before. I enjoyed it when I was a Christian, but its meaning to me now is lost. It is comforting, or it was comforting to me. I'm not worried about God carrying me, but the people that genuinely suffer in this world. If God is truly benevolent, and truly almighty, he is horrible to let people suffer the ways in which they do. Truth be told, even if God was proven to me to exist, I can't respect him anymore. If I am wrong, and a God does exist, then he will have a lot to answer for when I meet him, and I don't particularly expect his omnibenevolence to reach me, because no doubt he will send me to hell for my doubts.
    Firstly he wont have to answer to anything because if he is god, then who are you to questin him i think the book of Job really speaks for itself here... and if you were a christian then you will know how poignant it is! there are many theroies to the questions of suffering and other ethics etc but you say they all conflict, well thats because they are human designed thought up by people hindered by their imagination and to be true who can fathom the mind of god?! and shouldnt it be that way! there are genuine answers to these questions and you would have found them out in the end but....
    also id like to comment that most of the things so fiercely debated are somewhat irrelevant in the grand sheme of things... you believe in jesus and want to say sorry nfor your sins, you are forgiven why complicate it more.... faith hope and love.... faith in jesus hope in his love and his sacrifice and love like he loved, what more do you need?? therefore i am inclined to say that you missed the point of what christianity is all about you got hooked up on the things that dont matter and asa result sacrificed your place in eternity (as is my belief as you have turned your back on god.... no wonder you felt his gaze for a while, but as always there are other theories some believe that every different god is an aspect of the one god therefore lots more than just christians will get into heaven etc either way it doesnt matter) all that matters is your own personal faith an journey....

and as far as you first started out you still took the path of doubt which came from the questions so either way....

i cannot answer why your defenses were so weak maybe you lost track of what was important you were exposed to alot of stuff that was in favour of atheism and none for the counter arguments as there are many! equally i refute your comment that bthere was no weay to reconcile your faith after a few weeks of exposure...

god is genuine.... you cant say he doesnt exist.... its faith i only wish you had been able to experience what i have and then you would be sutre and able to stomach even the most violent onslaught.... i challenge you to see for yourself i challenhge you to try and go back to church as questions argue all you like but only do it and then come back to me and say whatever....

the funny thing is there is a general misconceptio that chrsitans have to be the most perfect people ever.... not happening, i am flawed and i am probaby more sinful than you but i know forgiveness, and likewise ive met some pretty horrible christains more horrible than any athiests i know but our god is a loving god who sweeps aside all issues and gives us a chance to start a chance of reconciliaiton, so just to let you know that you might get some friction back if you ask questions most of the times ive been sht down has been due in some way or another to the church.... but thats another story and it hasnt affected my faith only made me stronger id think

Lastly what would you rahter have god do, intervene constantly so nobody ever gets hurt, no toddler eats the wrong thing, nobody ever hits their thumb with a hammer, seems like a world deprived of self respect and free will... i would rather have suffering than that kind of world... suffering is as a result of human actions and a breach of that is breaking our free will, miracles are different and positive not negative like suffering. therefore if god were to do as you say then you would probably have more of a bone to pick than at the moment, if you can imagine what it would be like! and while you may know that god exists it trumps the point that faith is dependant on uncertainty... and all the while god is hurting and sad at all the suffering and war that goes on, he is not powerless to stop it but he must watch and see so as not to break the covanent of jesus, the last covanent before everything else is irrelevant

[sorry for my awful spelling, am doing this in a bit of a hurry ]
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnoldcd)
    Firstly he wont have to answer to anything because if he is god, then who are you to questin him i think the book of Job really speaks for itself here...
    I'd question God the same way I'd question anyone else. If god was put on trial by one of our courts he'd get life. Hell, he'd get life just for killing Job's family. I think the book of Job really speaks for itself here...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 1, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.