Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If Capital Punishment...

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Would you support capital punishment if it was proven to deter people from crime?
    Yes
    35.42%
    No
    54.17%
    Not Sure
    10.42%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    significantly lowered the murder rate in this country, and there was substantial evidence to show this, would you be for or against it?

It seems while many people may argue they oppose capital punishment on the grounds that it's inhumane, could mean innocent people are put to death etc, this may also be due to the fact that capital punishment does not deter people. However, if capital punishment was shown to deter on a large scale then would people change their minds?

Obviously there would still be many people who would still oppose capital punishment on the grounds stated above but over time would we see more and more people in favour of capital punishment?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that the state should have the power to kill their own people.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't support capital punishment, but I believe that prison for the worst offenders should absolutely suck beyond comprehension.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just look at the US, crime has gone up since the death penalty was introduced. So it's clearly not much of a deterrent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Nope, just look at the US, crime has gone up since the death penalty was introduced. So it's clearly not much of a deterrent.
    Yes but my question was a hypothetical one rather than one based on reality. If capital punishment was proven to deter would you be for it or against it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a pointless argument because it has been proven time and again that it doesn't, that it only makes murderers more desperate not to be found out.

Even in this situation in which human psychology worked in a very different way to reality, I don't support the states right to execute its own citizens under any circumstances.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, even if it did.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope it would still be wrong... The poll is a bit unclear "yes" isnt really a good answer to "are you for or against it"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus4)
    Nope it would still be wrong... The poll is a bit unclear "yes" isnt really a good answer to "are you for or against it"
    Yes = for it
    No = against it

Seems pretty clear to me.:confused:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously if they're dead, they can't commit the crime again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soilwork)
    Yes = for it
    No = against it

Seems pretty clear to me.:confused:
    it clearly wasnt clear lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of this kind of hypothetical question?

I'd still say no anyway.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's perhaps a product of teaching to the test that it has become increasingly difficult to solicit answers to a hypothetical question, and particularly one invoking counterfactual circumstance. I mean, I notice this as someone teaching at university.

What would you do if you won the lottery?
    Couldn't happen, I don't buy tickets.

Would you support the death penalty if it were demonstrated to significantly lower murder rates?
    Evidence from America says it doesn't though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is merely a thought experiment to see whether people really are against capital punishment because they have moral objections to it rather than because it doesn't deter criminals.

Also, to the people who would still be against it. Why would you be against something which could potentially save countless lives per year?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Always against. (Even though it's a pointless question because its been shown not to work.)

Who are we to decide when to kill? Assuming that capital punishment would be for murderers, wouldn't it be kind of hypocritical?
    • 147 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soilwork)
    This is merely a thought experiment to see whether people really are against capital punishment because they have moral objections to it rather than because it doesn't deter criminals.

Also, to the people who would still be against it. Why would you be against something which could potentially save countless lives per year?
    This
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    No because if they were found to be innocent afterwards then it would be too late. At least with prison they are still alive, even though they have lost years off their life and could get compensation.
    Also as buchanan700 said, if ordinary citizens aren't allowed to murder people, why should the government be able to murder people.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    their was a point wen they dint have it?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a reference to the moratorium ordered by the Supreme Court in the 1970s, before & after that. That's the only way US figures could be compared pre- and post- execution.

I am generally anti-death penalty but I am even more against these EU rules and international conventions ORDERING nation-states not to use it. I believe every government should decide yes or no for itself to capital punishment. If we did choose to bring it back the EU couldn't stop us- Parliament has the power to repeal the European Communities Act thus making the UK a nonmember of the Union. Sanctions for breaking the rules would not be so bad anyway.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Capital punishment is simply the seeking of revenge, and as such has no place in any civilised legal system.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 30, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.