Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, where can you get microsoft word cheaper?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I've heard you can get it cheaper at softwareforstudents -its £69 when I look on the website,is that the cheapest I can get?

Oh and I'm buying a laptop from currys,should I get the whatever happens care plan for 3years as well-£199.Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhstar)
    Hi,I've heard you can get it cheaper at softwareforstudents -its £69 when I look on the website,is that the cheapest I can get?

Oh and I'm buying a laptop from currys,should I get the whatever happens care plan for 3years as well-£199.Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance
    I think £69 is the cheapest currently available, yeah. The old Office 2007 packages went down to £35 when the 2010 versions first came out (I got 2007 Enterprise edition for £38!) - but most of those old packages seem to have been retired from Software4Students now. If you don't want to pay £70 yet (especially since a beta of the new version, Office 15, will be released this summer) you can download OpenOffice for free here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's fully compatible with Microsoft Office and has all the usual components - equivalent programs for Excel, Publisher, Access etc.

The "Whatever Happens" plan sounds like a rip-off. If the machine isn't hideously powerful/expensive and you take good care of it, you shouldn't run into many problems anyway - certainly not £200's worth of repairs. Do you need to buy from Currys? Online retailers are often much cheaper.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Currys, Staples, PC World etc are often rip offs. Buy your laptop online directly from the manufacturer - it's cheaper.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    *cough* piratebay *cough*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhstar)

Thanks in advance
    The insurance is rarely worth it. You're covered for at least the first year anyway, possibly two. How likely do you think it is that a Curry's insurance would pay out if you spliied coffee over a two year old laptop anyway?

Use the money to get a better laptop that has a manufacturer's warranty of two years or more and try not to shop at Currys or PC Word etc, good marketing makes you think they are cheaper but most often they are not and the service is rubbish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    If you don't want to pay £70 yet (especially since a beta of the new version, Office 15, will be released this summer) you can download OpenOffice for free here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's fully compatible with Microsoft Office and has all the usual components - equivalent programs for Excel, Publisher, Access etc.
    I was a long time user of OpenOffice until I started studying then I found the little extra bits like bibliographies and footnotes etc worked much better in Word. I hate myself for saying it. Also lots of very useful citing and referencing tools for Word that aren't available for OO.
    • 86 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    *cough* piratebay *cough*
    Well normally a file would be "acquired" but if you're a computing student, your uni might pay for you? I know I've got Visual studio 2008/2010 and Project Professional from dreamspark for free
    • 86 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Currys, Staples, PC World etc are often rip offs. Buy your laptop online directly from the manufacturer - it's cheaper.
    I tend to find that the only (branded) manufacturers that sells their products online, in the UK are HP, Dell and Alienware and it's not always cheapest to go direct
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this any better? - http://students.pugh.co.uk/index.php...50&prodID=3152

I'm not sure if there are any online 'cloud' versions that might give you what you are after, for a lower monthly cost rather than an upfront charge - like Office 365. It looks quite expensive - an annual charge similar to the once off cost - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/offic...id=NYNm5X8ol9R

Edit - the Office webapps are available if you use SkyDrive - http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/web-apps/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GStevens)
    I was a long time user of OpenOffice until I started studying then I found the little extra bits like bibliographies and footnotes etc worked much better in Word. I hate myself for saying it. Also lots of very useful citing and referencing tools for Word that aren't available for OO.
    That's true, yeah. I only suggested it as a stop-gap really, until the OP can afford either a version of Office 2010 or the new one coming in a few months, Office 15.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.