Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any vegetarians?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    Why would you argue bolt guns aren't humane?
    Because they're often operated by morons who couldn't give a toss whether the animal's alive or dead when they start hacking it to pieces.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuffleupagus)
    Because they're often operated by morons who couldn't give a toss whether the animal's alive or dead when they start hacking it to pieces.
    Then it sounds like it is not the bolt gun you have the problem with, it's the person behind it that must be regulated.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm technically a pescitarian, used to be a meat eater. Have been a pescy for a couple of months now. I don't miss meat at all, I never really liked or ate it so it hasn't made much of a difference lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian since I was twelve so for eight years. I've flirted with veganism and use soy products at home but because I'm recovering from an eating disorder I don't trust myself to maintain such a restrictive lifestyle healthily.
    I don't crave meat at all, I was always really grossed out by meat anyway but it wasn't until my mum stopped cooking dinner every night/paying attention to what I was eating that I was allowed to become vegetarian as she thinks it's really unhealthy (her mum's family owned a farm so she's got no qualms with 'humane' slaughter of animals). I miss seafood and fish at times, as it has such a distinct flavour.
    I'm a strict vegetarian so I don't wear leather/sheepskin (and fur, but who really wears fur nowadays?) which is really difficult as I'm into fashion and shopping and it's very hard to find nice (well made) shoes and bags that don't have any leather.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    Then it sounds like it is not the bolt gun you have the problem with, it's the person behind it that must be regulated.
    Same with any kind of gun, isn't it?

There are already regulations. Undercover operations have, time and again, exposed the fact that these are largely ignored.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobsyourteapots)
    my weakness is chicken nuggets but i rarely give into my cravings
    Mine too!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm a veggie... have been for 10 years.

My friends don't care, I don't get cravings for meat, I do it simply because I don't like the taste & like others have said it's easy cooking for vegetarians now with the amount of substitute products available.

The only annoying thing is the amount of hidden meat products out on the market. Especially in cheese, sweets & yogurts
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    I've been vegetarian since I was 5 so I don't really get cravings. Occasionally I do but I think I've only given in to cravings a couple of times since then, so overall 13 years meat-free! It's a way of life now so it's normal for me. I do get pissed off when people ask me stuff like "How do you survive?". And I've had people shove meat in my face as well. People can be massive dicks.
    Hang on a minute - aren't you the person off another vegetarian-related thread who said they ate fish? Surely you're pescetarian?

I've been a vegetarian since I was fifteen, and vegan for the past two months. I honestly don't think about it anymore. It's a lot easier than I imagined it to be, and hey, I still get to have chips and ketchup
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just become a vegetarian! Been one for about a month now I find it really easy as I've never really liked meat/fish to begin with so I tend to get no cravings, I find meat revolting as well as the way used to get it. I'm so glad I've changed though however I don't really feel much different.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i've been a vegetarian for about four years, i don't miss meat at all and find the veggie lifestyle really easy. i love my greens and healthy food in general so i'm sorted for nutrients!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pescatarian. Since I have become one I feel I have had to constantly defend my lifestyle choice - there are paedophiles, murderers, rapists out there yet people seem to reserve their hate towards those who don't eat meat.

I like being a vegetarian.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been a lacto-vegetarian since birth
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    vegetarian since 2000.:dance:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 13 - I never really ate meat before as it was, even from the age of 5 I'd be peeling the crispy coating off my chicken nuggets and eating that, leaving the chicken. I'd never eat meat for Sunday roasts and hate burgers and hotdogs. ><

Recently found out I'm lactose intolerant, which has been a bit of a struggle seeing as I'm not too aware of what foods have lactose in. But I think it's going well so far - soy milk and tofu are becoming a lifesaver! I've also taken to green tea and egg sandwiches, which I'd never tried before.

I love being veggie, although I suppose I'm an ovo-vegetarian now, as it's gotten me into cooking my own food and taking an interest in what I'm actually putting in my body.

What do I miss? Freakin' pop tarts. Why the hell do they put gelatine in them? Aaaaah!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)

What do I miss? Freakin' pop tarts. Why the hell do they put gelatine in them? Aaaaah!
    THIS. If you can find the non-iced ones from America they're ok, they only put gelatine in the icing.

I also miss Fruit Pastilles. And tuna.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian for about seven years, though lately a bad one :P

I love the taste of meat, but managed to stop eating it partly to prove I could (My mum said I didn't have any will power. Not the best reason I know, but it led to years of not eating meat so hey ho!) and also for ethical reasons. To encourage myself to stick to it, I looked up some stuff, and so after a few weeks it became for a purely ethical reason.

I got really into PETA and was a really good strict veggie (and I had only one veggie friend for my first year, but she moved and so for the past six, I haven't known any veggies) until about a year and a half ago. Managed all my cravings (which got weak and stayed weak for a number of years). I got disillusioned with PETA and all that about 2 or 3 years ago, and started to pay less attention to them. It seemed they mostly just wanted to guilt trip me into giving them money all the time, and I started to have general misgivings about the charity. They really irritated me when before my 18th they basically emailed and asked me to forgo all presents and get people to give them everything instead. I know its to be expected that a charity will ask for money, but there are better ways to do it. The RSPB, of which I am a member, sent me a nice happy birthday email with a subtle little link to the catalogue and a few suggestions of gifts I might like (E.g. binoculars, which considering the charity, would probably be something I'd use and like.).

In the past year and a half, I've unfortunately had a number of slip ups (about 2 meals sober, and 3 meals drunk. Two sober bites while Spain, because I wanted to say I've tried calamari and swordfish :P), as my cravings got really bad for some reason. Also, I've discovered since starting uni that I have a tendancy to eat meat when I'm drunk. My flatmates and I think its down to alcohol sedating the ethical part of my brain :P

I have since decided, to try hard not to eat meat, but not to feel too terrible about the slip ups, I'm only human after all. I will allow myself to eat meat (well actually its usually fish. I miss fish a lot more than I miss meat for some reason :P) on very rare occasions when I am craving it a ridiculous amount. And people I go out with are to be more vigilant and convince me not to eat meat instead of standing there laughing :P

I know I'm probs not the best veggie, far from it. But I am honest. I won't lie and say the ethical parts of it are enough to crush all cravings and keep on the straight and narrow (Not that I'm saying thats what veggies do. It isn't. For me, I'd be lying if I said that now. 5 years ago, it would be true, now its not) I do usually explain this to people too, just so they don't get the wrong impression of those better at being a veggie than I :P I'm hoping my sudden cravings are a hormone thing or something, and I can go back to being a better veggie eventually. It'd suck to be battling cravings for the rest of my life. :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    I've been vegetarian since I was 5 so I don't really get cravings. Occasionally I do but I think I've only given in to cravings a couple of times since then, so overall 13 years meat-free! It's a way of life now so it's normal for me. I do get pissed off when people ask me stuff like "How do you survive?". And I've had people shove meat in my face as well. People can be massive dicks.
    This.

I've been a vegetarian for two years now, but it was SO hard to start because being an only child, my Mum tended to make meals for Me, her and Dad. When I told her I was cutting out meat she exploded and told me I was getting obsessive and that animals are a food source etc...I can understand her opinion, but I was feeling sick at the thought of eating an animal or feeding money into an industry I didn't agree with. I'm a massive animal lover, and I tend to be one of these people that sees all creatures as equals, I think it's wrong for humans to keep chickens, pigs and cows in small spaces and breed them only to be killed. I don't have a problem with a viewpoint that people see them as a food source, but I definately DO NOT agree with the way animals can be treated.

I'm not a vegan though, but I do make sure eggs are free range, and I stay clear of cheese...

As for keeping on plan, I have developed a love affair with Quorn products. They've got a bad reputation I know, but stick some of their meat-free mince in a bolognese, and you wouldn't know the difference!

The one thing i miss IS NOT BACON. I hate it when people try and tempt me back with bacon, because I'm always like, ew. I hate bacon. The thing I miss most id Jelly Sweets. Weird, right? But the vegetarian sweets are nowhere near as nice as the sweets based on Pork Gelatin- namely, HARIBO.
    *sighs*

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ I always thought bacon was a massive let down tbh, it always smelt better than it tasted and when people go on and on about how they couldn't live without it I just want to ram celery in my ears.

I always get asked "why did you decide to become a vegetarian" and it's tricky to answer because I was like thirteen and it's not like I'm going to get onto a some kind of moral podium about the evil of meat. I just say that if I were an animal, I wouldnt' want to be eaten, which is the simplest of my many reasons
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ^Love that arguement.

IF YOU WERE A COW WOULD YOU WANT TO BE EATED?!
    Or, if you're a little more sensible than I am, I'm sure you could ask them in a more sensitive way. >
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    The thing I miss most id Jelly Sweets. Weird, right? But the vegetarian sweets are nowhere near as nice as the sweets based on Pork Gelatin- namely, HARIBO.
    *sighs*

Veggie Percy in M&S. Trust me. So good, they're better than the normal ones.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.