The Student Room Group

Should I buy this car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizolove
Bahaha, nicely put.

I try to be my best :wink: also I'm bored of doing assignments...

Original post by Arron17
I wouldn't mind an rx-8, but the insurance is too much :frown:

As for the lexus its insurance group 48 lol, good luck insuring it.

RX-8 costs me <£900 to insure and the LS400 would be ~£1000 so not that bad!
Original post by iwantcheese5

Fair enough, I'm only in my first year of driving so anything is expensive for me to insure.

I bet the rx-8 costs you a bit in petrol and oil though.
Reply 22
£4,000 for a Ford KA just seems far too much, like everyone else has said; there are many many better/cheaper cars out there which would be a heck of a lot nicer to have. Not that I'm saying it's in any way appropriate but you could get an RX-8 with 40,000 on the clock for that money and that's a LOT more car. Heck you could get an Lexus LS400 for <£1000 and be the most AWESOMELY PIMP person in the world and it'd still run smoother and feel fresher than a KA. In fact please get an LS400 I want to see that happen, it would be amazing. Very amazing. Honest. Pretty please. :colondollar:

All this could be yours for £995:

It has cruise control, leather seats, air conditioning, electric windows all round, electric sunroof, electric seats, walnut wood trim, 6 CD autochanger and, even better, has full main dealer service history. Actually I want it, you can't have it. Sorry. :colone:

My grandad has had that car (r reg facelift). It's quick, very quick for a car that size. I took it out for a spin, very quick off the mark, the ride out of this world comfy, and all the toys, very very easy to drive too. Gets about 16 mpg average (he's a bit of boy-racer still.....beats everyone at the traffic lights) but he couldn't care less it's such a good car. Over 120,000 on it and apart from a routine service each year and new tyres every few years not a problem....all the electrics work fine. Lexus are really reliable.

Last time I tried to get insured on it the insurers said no, was a couple of years ago though so might try again.

Seriously OP, buy that car. You'll never regret it. They are top class.
Original post by Arron17
Fair enough, I'm only in my first year of driving so anything is expensive for me to insure.

I bet the rx-8 costs you a bit in petrol and oil though.

Fair enough, I didn't get my own car till I was 20 (I passed at 18) so I got something stupid and managed to insure it for £2000. I get something around 25mpg and use 1l of oil over 2000 miles.

Original post by persov
My grandad has had that car (r reg facelift). It's quick, very quick for a car that size. I took it out for a spin, very quick off the mark, the ride out of this world comfy, and all the toys, very very easy to drive too. Gets about 16 mpg average (he's a bit of boy-racer still.....beats everyone at the traffic lights) but he couldn't care less it's such a good car. Over 120,000 on it and apart from a routine service each year and new tyres every few years not a problem....all the electrics work fine. Lexus are really reliable.

Last time I tried to get insured on it the insurers said no, was a couple of years ago though so might try again.

Seriously OP, buy that car. You'll never regret it. They are top class.

Haha it would be brilliant to see a young woman roll up to sixth form/uni/anywhere in that beast...I'd be impressed anyway...:tongue:
Original post by TheGodfather1
4k for a Ford KA, for that cash you can get these

ford-focus-301362_1.jpg

or if you want something smaller

6239223_SAM_1540.JPG

With that budget you can get a lot of good cars which are 7 years or younger so unless you REALLY REALLY want the KA i suggest to search more before you part ways with your hard earned cash.

What's the second one? It's cute. :h:
Reply 25

TSR is the perfect distraction from working, haha!
Reply 26
I wouldn't buy an old style ford KA, I wrote mine off doing second gear, no I wasnt even speeding. If you are caught in an accident then you really are crushed! Go for something like a Ford Focus or Renault clio. I just bought a brand new toyota for £9999 so for £4000 you should be getting something a bit better, have a look on auto trader they have a lot of dealers advertising...
Reply 27
Plus I bought my old KA for £500 and it only had 50000 miles on it..
Fair enough, I didn't get my own car till I was 20 (I passed at 18) so I got something stupid and managed to insure it for £2000.

I'm exactly the same, passed at 18 got my car at 20. Vauxhall Astra £2000 to insure.
I owned a 2000 Ka for 3 years and it was the most reliable car I've ever had. They are a good runner, and are basic so parts are cheap etc. Only issues it ever had were needing new wheel bearings (twice) and unfortunately Ka's tend to have problems with rust on the body shell which you should look out for.

Saying that, I now drive an SRI 2001 (C shape) Corsa and it is a million steps up from the Ka in terms of smoothness of the ride, quality of the interior etc. The Ka is really basic and it does show but I did love mine at the time. It has given me less mechanical hassle than my Corsa overall.

But, 4K is a lot of money for a 'good A to B car', and at that price it will depreciate quickly. If you want a Ka, you can get a perfectly good one for 500-1000 quid. I wouldn't worry too much about mileage on the clock on the Ka as they are really reliable cars. I would be concerned about things such as age (low miles and big age could mean it was a town run-around so lots of wear on clutch etc.), and rust-- as the Kas 'body' often goes before the mechanics do.

If you have 4K to spend, you can certainly afford a higher end car though.
Original post by Arron17
I'm exactly the same, passed at 18 got my car at 20. Vauxhall Astra £2000 to insure.

That's pretty expensive insurance, I insured a Nissan 300ZX (3.0l twin turbo) for the same money.
Reply 31
That's pretty expensive insurance, I insured a Nissan 300ZX (3.0l twin turbo) for the same money.

If you think that's bad for insurance, you should try doing an insurance quote for somebody who lives in Liverpool! I lived there and had £2400 as a starting quote (as a girl, in a NICE area, a year after passing my test, on a 10-year-old Vauxhall Corsa). - Daylight robbery. It's a good job I did it hypothetically before buying a car!
Reply 32

hmmm 300zx......such a good car, pretty cheap these days too. Did the targa roof ever leak though?
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
What's the second one? It's cute. :h:

Its Ford Fiesta

Lol I'd love one of those too, unfortunately that's the cheapest I could get, living and going to uni in big cities.

It would cost me £8000 to insure one of them...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by persov
hmmm 300zx......such a good car, pretty cheap these days too. Did the targa roof ever leak though?

It was a fun car to own, the targa did leak quite a bit but it added to the charm :P Used to be so much moisture inside that the inside of the windows would get covered in ice in the winter...it was a bit unpleasant when water dripped on your head from the targas.

Original post by Arron17
Lol I'd love one of those too, unfortunately that's the cheapest I could get, living and going to uni in big cities.

It would cost me £8000 to insure one of them...

If you think that's bad for insurance, you should try doing an insurance quote for somebody who lives in Liverpool! I lived there and had £2400 as a starting quote (as a girl, in a NICE area, a year after passing my test, on a 10-year-old Vauxhall Corsa). - Daylight robbery. It's a good job I did it hypothetically before buying a car!

Gotta love being from Norwich, and being old...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
It was a fun car to own, the targa did leak quite a bit but it added to the charm :P Used to be so much moisture inside that the inside of the windows would get covered in ice in the winter...it was a bit unpleasant when water dripped on your head from the targas.

Gotta love being from Norwich, and being old...

Bahahaha. Or living in Sheffield.
The same requirements with a new postcode means I can get insurance on a 2.0 £10,000 Ford Mondeo for £1400. (As the main driver!)
Go Japanese.
Often cheaper, economical, MUCH more reliable (so less likely to break down on you and you won't have to spend even more on repairs/problems you may get in other cars), they'll often keep going long after 100k miles, and there are some good looking ones out there.

For 4k you can get a low mileage Honda Civic Sport 1.6 2004/2005. Looks great, very reliable, known to have no mechanical/electrical problems and the engines are known to NEVER fail (unless you be stupid with it obviously), ride is smooth and does average of 40mpg. Cheap insurance too.

2004-honda-civic-sport-1-6-ivtec-petrol-2004-20110826032200.jpg
Reply 38
Bahahaha. Or living in Sheffield.
The same requirements with a new postcode means I can get insurance on a 2.0 £10,000 Ford Mondeo for £1400. (As the main driver!)

so can I living in London! Is it a petrol or oil burner?
Reply 39
Original post by Confused101
Go Japanese.
Often cheaper, economical, MUCH more reliable (so less likely to break down on you and you won't have to spend even more on repairs/problems you may get in other cars), they'll often keep going long after 100k miles, and there are some good looking ones out there.

For 4k you can get a low mileage Honda Civic Sport 1.6 2004/2005. Looks great, very reliable, known to have no mechanical/electrical problems and the engines are known to NEVER fail (unless you be stupid with it obviously), ride is smooth and does average of 40mpg. Cheap insurance too.

2004-honda-civic-sport-1-6-ivtec-petrol-2004-20110826032200.jpg

Agree with Japanese, don't agree with your account of the Civic. Lots of problems on the forums IIRC, and every engine goes eventually!

Nissans tend to have lots of gadgets from about 2000<, try a 2003/4 Almera in the new-ish shape, SE or SXE or SVE preferably, lots of gadgets and fairly cheap insurance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest