The Student Room Group

Who has felt lonely at University???

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person that feels lonely at uni. It's nice to know what others do too.
I feel so lonely now! I'm in first year and 4/5 of my flatmates aren't at all social. They prefer to stay in and watch Star Wars or play on Minecraft, which is fair enough, I know not everyone likes to go out, but it's gotten to the point where I can go 2-3 days without seeing a single person in this flat. It's really getting me down, I've never felt this isolated in my life. I was looking forward to coming to university to experience the social aspect of it, but I'm yet to feel I have... I guess it doesn't help that all my flatmates are male, as I find a mix of male and female is best. To say the least, I'm looking forward to moving out in June.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I felt lonely throughout the whole 3 years of university, and never made a single 'life-long' friend at all. I'm not in contact with 99% of the people that I used to hang around with.

:ditto: I was so lonely, yet I enjoyed Uni, now I'm even lonelier.
Never had any friends at school, tried at uni but haven't got any here either, I have people to live with but as for actual friends, none. I hate my uni life, yeah I feel lonely. I've stopped trying to make friends now, I'll just be a loner the rest of my life.
Reply 64
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah. In fact, I'm now in college and in halls, and it's pretty disappointing social-wise and I've been feeling a bit lonely. I've even taken to going on nights out on my own now, just because people in my halls are so boring and/or don't invite me out. But ah well, I'm starting to pretty much accept my fate as a loner now.

Invite people out then you scrub.
Original post by DerMann
Invite people out then you scrub.

Yeah, I could try that, just feel too shy :o:. Plus, there have been times when I've chatted to people and hinted that they could invite me out clubbing next time they go, but it's never happened so far :frown:. I guess next time I plan to go somewhere, I will just ask on the halls Facebook chat if anyone wants to join, and if no one does then I'll just continue the nights out on my own.
Reply 66
Yeah, I could try that, just feel too shy :o:. Plus, there have been times when I've chatted to people and hinted that they could invite me out clubbing next time they go, but it's never happened so far :frown:. I guess next time I plan to go somewhere, I will just ask on the halls Facebook chat if anyone wants to join, and if no one does then I'll just continue the nights out on my own.

Ask for numbers, not FBs. Trust me, its a whole different level of connection. Also, don't take "hints," and be overt. This also helps a lot.
Reply 67
Original post by fluffylittlecat
Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person that feels lonely at uni. It's nice to know what others do too.

Aaah, nothing better to know others are doing just as bad as, or worse than you, eh? The height of egoism right there.
Original post by DerMann
Ask for numbers, not FBs. Trust me, its a whole different level of connection. Also, don't take "hints," and be overt. This also helps a lot.

I dunno, even having numbers isn't a guarantee. I met a couple of girls last week on a night out, and they said they'd like to go out with me again and so I took the phone number of one of them. She said she would call me last Friday but never has :frown:.

Meh, I think people are just fickle, or maybe not too bothered to make new friends after a certain age and/or point in life. Oh well, I'll keep trying whenever I can, I guess I don't have much to lose now.
Reply 69
I dunno, even having numbers isn't a guarantee. I met a couple of girls last week on a night out, and they said they'd like to go out with me again and so I took the phone number of one of them. She said she would call me last Friday but never has :frown:.

Meh, I think people are just fickle, or maybe not too bothered to make new friends after a certain age and/or point in life. Oh well, I'll keep trying whenever I can, I guess I don't have much to lose now.

Indeed. What is there to lose? Even your life will be lost eventually, no matter what you do. Why lose the time?
I got fairly lucky with flatmates in first and second year, but my uni timetable meant that I spent a lot of time on my own because it was completely opposite to everyone else's. It was not to be a bit lonely then but I lived with people from my course in final year so it got better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so lonely. I've never had any friends or anyone to talk to, not even one person. I'm always alone. I'm sitting in university right now, alone. It's depressing seeing people hanging out with their friends and chatting and laughing, I wish I could have that. It's so hard every day. University has been very depressing, made me very sad and completely empty, being alone all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending