Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Crap Towns

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basingstoke... which I live pretty near.... features heavily.
    It's not THAT bad... I mean its popular to live in because of the location and property prices are pretty high.... it's just really dull. Its like one giant, neutral, lower-middle class housing estate connected by roundabouts. With nothing to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    True, I suppose I don't appreciate these places as much as I should given that I see them most days!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jwp14)
    Basingstoke... which I live pretty near.... features heavily.
    It's not THAT bad... I mean its popular to live in because of the location and property prices are pretty high.... it's just really dull. Its like one giant, neutral, lower-middle class housing estate connected by roundabouts. With nothing to do.
    Basingstoke did give us Liz Hurley and John Arlott.

My vote would be Luton, as Coventry is a city so ineligible.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    My home town, Morecambe, was second in the book I think. To be fair it is an awful town, but I love it. The sunset over the bay setting over the lake district is to beautiful, it almost entirely redeems the town of if it's crappy-ness.
    Why is Morecambe so crappy? :O I've heard lots of people say that. I'm about to move to Lancaster and was considering renting in Morecambe lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people of my age (18ish) can't wait to get out of Swindon!! It is an average town with a dreadful council (infamous for one-way systems, overdoing speed humps, building houses on any green spaces they can get their hands on, making listed buildings look ugly and go derelict, and installing crap floodlighting on St Mark church (link below)) and renowned for not a lot to do socially, though I pay little attention to that as I am not a clubber (I spend 80% of my free time up a bell tower, the other 10% is on the bus to the church and tower, 3% is in the pub with other bellringers, and 7% waiting for the bus!! Lol!! )

We are twinned with Disneyland, though how we have anything in common is way beyond me and I salute the genius who found things we have in common with Walt's World!! Apparantly Swindon was voted the 2nd ugliest town in England (and possibly even Britain!!) - second only to Middlesbrough!!

Oh, and the dreadful floodlighting I mentioned can be seen at this link!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon-b...in/photostream
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doncaster?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wigan?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Have to reiterate the shouts on Leicester.

Although they've made a decent attempt on the redevelopment of the city centre area, the rest of it is like sifting through a bin.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenCharlotte)
    Why is Morecambe so crappy? :O I've heard lots of people say that. I'm about to move to Lancaster and was considering renting in Morecambe lol
    Well it's really run down and has a lot of chavs hah. Tbh though it isn't that bad, quite a nice place if you can just avoid chunks of it! Some student from Lancaster was renting a house on my road in Morecambe, rent is a lot cheaper just a few dodgy places is all
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe Stevenage hasn't been mentioned yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hucknall, North Nottingham
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well it's really run down and has a lot of chavs hah. Tbh though it isn't that bad, quite a nice place if you can just avoid chunks of it! Some student from Lancaster was renting a house on my road in Morecambe, rent is a lot cheaper just a few dodgy places is all
    Lol it looks like I'm Morecambe-bound after all. Is the zone near the Battery full of chavs? :O
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenCharlotte)
    Lol it looks like I'm Morecambe-bound after all. Is the zone near the Battery full of chavs? :O
    Ermm on the promenade near the Battery it's alright, although it is a quite chavvy but have a few mates that live there and they never really complain. Got a tesco around the corner, and direct bus route to university as well.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmilo)
    Have to reiterate the shouts on Leicester.

Although they've made a decent attempt on the redevelopment of the city centre area, the rest of it is like sifting through a bin.
    Thank you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ermm on the promenade near the Battery it's alright, although it is a quite chavvy but have a few mates that live there and they never really complain. Got a tesco around the corner, and direct bus route to university as well.
    Thanks for the info! Much appreciated Will try to avoid chavs, then. Though where I come from we have a similar breed and I have learnt to live in a city increasingly habitated by them. I think I'll be fine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even though I actually live in a village about 35 minutes away from the actual city, my "official" city is Swansea...

Personally I don't think much of the place itself, although Gower is absolutely beautiful, as is the countryside surrounding it. It's actually been the setting for a few books, and inspired the ledgend that is (or was) Dylan Thomas.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Basingstoke did give us Liz Hurley and John Arlott.

My vote would be Luton, as Coventry is a city so ineligible.
    We also gave the world the 1st Waterproof clothing

Burberry although they have had a bad reputation in recent years because the Chavs kind ruined their brand.

We also kinda gave the world Jane Austen! well she danced here. :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I live in Cleator Moor, a small town featured in crap towns 2. The description in the book is fairly accurate. There is pretty much nothing in this town other than dodgy takeaways.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    Anyone read them? Crap Towns I and II...

Is your hometown or town of study in there?

Is it Hull, Luton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sunderland, Hemel Hempstead, Manchester, Milton Keynes or Bedford?

Is it Hackney, Brixton, Clapham, Kew or London as a big fat WHOLE?

Post and I can tell you... or give a review of your Crappest Town!
    Or strike back at the reviews of crime, poverty and excessive Ikeas!

PS Note that this is a humourous thread - no genuine hating here.

The Books?

My town is in number one the authors clearly haven't been to Basingstoke.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say Bedford since i've lived there for 18 years of my life but I know Luton is a lot worse.
    Milton Keynes isn't that bad i don't know why it's been mentioned?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.