The Student Room Group

Imperial/Bristol/Warwick/Soton for Mechanical Eng?

as said in the title, I have gotten offers from these four universities and I have a tough time trying to choose my firm. I am torn between Imperial or Bristol for firm and Warwick for insurance. I did consider Southampton for its reputation but decided I would like to be in a place that is more lively. Any advice for me please? :confused:

Oh and I'm an international so I won't have the chance to visit the campuses myself. Just saying. :smile: (and that's why I didn't choose Imperial straight away. The fees are just outrageous........)
Original post by strategist
as said in the title, I have gotten offers from these four universities and I have a tough time trying to choose my firm. I am torn between Imperial or Bristol for firm and Warwick for insurance. I did consider Southampton for its reputation but decided I would like to be in a place that is more lively. Any advice for me please? :confused:

Oh and I'm an international so I won't have the chance to visit the campuses myself. Just saying. :smile: (and that's why I didn't choose Imperial straight away. The fees are just outrageous........)

Southampton is more lively than Warwick.
Warwick offers general engineering course rather than straight Mech. Eng.
If fees are a mayor issue then pick any of the listed universities. They are all very high standard. However, Imperial has a lot to offer in comparison to other universities.

Personally, I would pick Southampton over Warwick and maybe even Bristol.
Warwick is actually crawling with internationals, you might like that. It's a little bit remote though, after first year you'll have to move pretty far away.
Reply 3
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Warwick offers general engineering course rather than straight Mech. Eng.
If fees are a mayor issue then pick any of the listed universities. They are all very high standard. However, Imperial has a lot to offer in comparison to other universities.

Personally, I would pick Southampton over Warwick and maybe even Bristol.

Hi, thanks for your input. :smile: I pick Warwick for insurance because it asks for a lower grades requirement of AAB, whereas Bristol and Southampton both requires AAA. However, if I firm Imperial I will have either Bristol or Southampton as insurance.

Mind shedding some lights on why you will prefer Southampton over Bristol?
Original post by strategist
Hi, thanks for your input. :smile: I pick Warwick for insurance because it asks for a lower grades requirement of AAB, whereas Bristol and Southampton both requires AAA. However, if I firm Imperial I will have either Bristol or Southampton as insurance.

Mind shedding some lights on why you will prefer Southampton over Bristol?

Their course has a very big emphasis on building your computing skills, which is very important in modern industry. Also they have an amazing wind tunnel. Course is very well structured as well. The head of the engineering faculty was once the head of the MIT's engineering division. A lot of interesting stuff is going on in Southampton. It was my insurance choice as well, no bias :rolleyes:.

Bristol is one of the top universities for engineering as well. Your best bet would be to look at the course structure and pick the one you enjoy more.
Reply 5
Original post by kaosu_souzousha

Southampton is far more lively than Imperial and Bristol too!!

Quick Reply

Latest