Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

first songs to learn on acoustic guitar?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I started playing guitar during 3rd year at high school, but due to instrumental switches dropped it during the int2 course. Now I wish to pick it up again at the end of this exam year, once my highers are done. Can anyone recommend a few good indie tracks which are simple enough for me to start with- then some to progress on to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done for picking it up again! Reminds me to do the same

There's a few simple things I enjoyed playing but it really depends on your taste.

You should try out Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons and also House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. I'm not really sure what your taste is but they're nice and simple songs to give a go. If you prefer poppy stuff, I know that songs by people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are normally fairly easy to acoustically play!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star was one of my first ones, as well as various pop songs and a couple of Red Hot Chilis (though their songs can be quite hard). I'd recommend finding a site with various free guitar sheet music and just seeing what jumps out at you - it's a matter of personal taste, really.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best to learn a song that you like. Just search 'song x chords' on google and just work from there.
    It's much easier to learn a song you know already off by heart than learning a new one
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdencauliflower)
    Hello
    I started playing guitar during 3rd year at high school, but due to instrumental switches dropped it during the int2 course. Now I wish to pick it up again at the end of this exam year, once my highers are done. Can anyone recommend a few good indie tracks which are simple enough for me to start with- then some to progress on to?
    Time of Your Life by Green Day is always a good one . . .

I'd also suggest looking up any and everything to find stuff you like and works, then you can build up a solid collection in a folder in your bookmarks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looneylamb)
    Well done for picking it up again! Reminds me to do the same

There's a few simple things I enjoyed playing but it really depends on your taste.

You should try out Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons and also House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. I'm not really sure what your taste is but they're nice and simple songs to give a go. If you prefer poppy stuff, I know that songs by people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are normally fairly easy to acoustically play!
    Thankyou! ^_^
    yeah-those are actually two of my favourite songs as well I'll definitely give them a go when these pesky exams are over. Cant say i'm a huge Belieber/Gagaperson though :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najabri)
    "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star was one of my first ones, as well as various pop songs and a couple of Red Hot Chilis (though their songs can be quite hard). I'd recommend finding a site with various free guitar sheet music and just seeing what jumps out at you - it's a matter of personal taste, really.
    What chilis songs would you recommend - i actually have a tab book of their Greatest Hits somewhere =)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdencauliflower)
    What chilis songs would you recommend - i actually have a tab book of their Greatest Hits somewhere =)
    My recommendation would depend completely on your preference - no point spending ages mastering something you don't enjoy playing! Have a look through the Greatest Hits and see what jumps out at you, checking semi-forgotten ones on youtube.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. The intro is pretty easy, though the verse may take some practice. When you get good, you should try this:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Importance of Being Idle by Oasis is pretty good. Nice pattern too
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wonderwall is pretty standard.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit.

Foo Fighters Resolve.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    ...try this:
    Holy bike on a christ, that's fantastic.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good Riddance (Time of Your life) by Green Day is a good and simple song to learn on acoustic guitar. It was the first song I learnt! Green Day are awesome, Nimrod was an amazing album.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

But more seriously, the above suggestion of finding the chords for a song you like is always a good way to go for a beginner. And a pro. Nothing better than really wanting to play a song then finally nailing it!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    'With A Little Help From My Friends' by The Beatles was one of the first I learnt.

I need/want to start playing again, because I've stopped over the last few months.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himynameskiefer)
    Good Riddance (Time of Your life) by Green Day is a good and simple song to learn on acoustic guitar. It was the first song I learnt! Green Day are awesome, Nimrod was an amazing album.

first song I ever learnt too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The first song I learnt was Wish You Wee Here by Pink Floyd, it's actually pretty useful, as it teaches working your way around the chords and how to do hammer-ons
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anything with chords C, D, G, Em in whatever order are pretty easy and standard to start with

Country Roads - John Denver
    SING - My Chemical Romance
    Hey Soul Sister - Train (I think it's usually played with chords C, F, Am, G, but G, D, Em, C works just as well)
    Winter Winds - Mumford and Sons

There's loads of them.

www.ultimate-guitar.com is a good place to look for tabs don't be put off if the original tuning seems a bit awkward, you can transpose it up or down which may make it easier to play because it could recommend the C, D, G, Em chords
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :awesome:
    As much as I love BLS, that track is just downright silly :P Now for some real Zakk Wylde acoustic:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.