Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which universities have the best accommodation?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know that each university offers varying levels of accommodation (with more luxurious rooms being more expensive), but which university offers the best accommodation in general? In terms of facilities, design, etc
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your sig is so annoying.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Your sig is so annoying.
    Because that really answers his question. :rolleyes:

OP, I've heard that Sheffield's accomodation is OK.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)

You didn't really answer his question either, so ssh. 'OK' doesn't qualify for 'best' darling.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Certain halls at Lee's are amazing - I'm thinking Charles morris and James ballie park.

Most unis have some good and some bad accommodation. I hope you're not going to base your uni choice on the accommodation.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WanaBdoctor)
    Certain halls at Lee's are amazing - I'm thinking Charles morris and James ballie park.

Most unis have some good and some bad accommodation. I hope you're not going to base your uni choice on the accommodation.
    Aye but I think Bod cancels out all the good halls
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After trekking around a million universities in the past 6 months, I'd say that Bangor's accommodation was nice in terms of space and cleanliness. Alsooooo... Kent was cute as the one I saw was a little house rather than a dormitory.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Aye but I think Bod cancels out all the good halls
    True

But it's closing in January...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes Sheffield's new block is amazing, and not too expensive. Birmingham also have a nice new block, but expensive - more than the whole of my maintenance loan for a year!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    leeds is nice...especially the storm jameson rooms in charles morris!
    i wasn't a fan of the accommodation at Nottingham...when i visited one particular hall smelt of urine.
    sheffield/ birmingham/ bristol are also nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you're looking for - if you want clean, modern buildings with good facilities, go for newer unis or ones that have just been refurbished.
    if you prefer old buildings with history and character, go to old unis.

the thing is, there are lots of things more important than accomodation - especially as you'll probably only be in uni accomodation for one year. make a list of say, your top 10 according to other things such as course, grade requirements, distance from home/partner/places you like, student life, clubs available etc.

then come back and we'll be able to give you a better idea of which uni accomodation is good.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    You didn't really answer his question either, so ssh. 'OK' doesn't qualify for 'best' darling.
    If you produce any more off topic comments I will alert the moderators, you are not helping sabre2th1 due to your childish squabbling.

Besides, I was more helpful that you were, sweetie.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you produce any more off topic comments I will alert the moderators, you are not helping sabre2th1 due to your childish squabbling.

Besides, I was more helpful that you were, sweetie.

Thanks
    (Original post by Gales)
    Your sig is so annoying.
    Go away
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely anyone would know as usually people only attend 1 university
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No-one is really going to be able to give much information about universities other than their own, but I imagine whichever university you go to there will be lots of different types - from en-suite to sharing a bathroom with a few people, to catered and non-catered. My room is quite a nice size but some friends in cheaper rooms have smaller rooms as you might expect!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never been there, but from what I heard RHUL has some great accommodation. Founders (old and looks like a castle from fairytales) vs. Williams, Tukes and Butlers etc. ...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    Your sig is so annoying.
    what exactly is a sig!?!? I wish to see such a feature!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    I've never been there, but from what I heard RHUL has some great accommodation. Founders (old and looks like a castle from fairytales) vs. Williams, Tukes and Butlers etc. ...
    I may be biased, but I have to agree- there are plenty of universities out there which have our typical en-suite, double bed, modern kitchen dealies as the expensive option...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butler-tuke-and-williamson250x152.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	143459

But not many that can say that by choosing the cheapest halls, you'll be living in a castle.

Name:	venues_54_1_main.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	143461

There is genuinely not a single type of accommodation on campus that I wouldn't want to live in- one of the reasons I'm returning to halls for third year! Plus the range of prices and options is amazing for what is a relatively small university.
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GowarWedderburn194x136.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	143458  
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)
    I know that each university offers varying levels of accommodation (with more luxurious rooms being more expensive), but which university offers the best accommodation in general? In terms of facilities, design, etc
    Don't know whether this helps at all?

http://www.nshs.co.uk/awards2011.html

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 22, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.