The Student Room Group

Does anyone else own an exotic pet (reptiles, inverterbrate etc.)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
does a skunk count as exotic pet :teeth:

:getmecoat: ;_;

YES! One of the guys who works in the reptile shop near where I live has a skunk, and he has brought it in to the shop a few times - they're so cool and sweet.
Original post by lukas1051
YES! One of the guys who works in the reptile shop near where I live has a skunk, and he has brought it in to the shop a few times - they're so cool and sweet.

my fiance have! nearly 11 month old now :'D

she does not seem to like me so very much ;_; but she really really really loves my fiance O.O'' always scratching on door in morning to wake him up, licking his face as greeting, rest head on fiance's chest when sits to be on computer or watching the television, whines/almost cries when he leave to go to his work..........i almost feel she is threat ;_;
Reply 22
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
my fiance have! nearly 11 month old now :'D

she does not seem to like me so very much ;_; but she really really really loves my fiance O.O'' always scratching on door in morning to wake him up, licking his face as greeting, rest head on fiance's chest when sits to be on computer or watching the television, whines/almost cries when he leave to go to his work..........i almost feel she is threat ;_;

Aww that's so sweet. Where did you get her?
Reply 23
Actually, it's not really my monkey. When I volunteered and lived in Ghana for a year we had this monkey (Popí, still a child) in our tiny office. It belonged to the NGO's boss and during the working hours it played in the cocoa trees nearby, so I always climbed the roof to play with it which ultimately led to me being chosen by the monkey as a surrogate father :biggrin: His favourite occupation was trying to steal my glasses, eating the tiny hairs from my arm, checking my head for bugs or jumping me to have a fight :colone:

Oh, I miss that little guy ... Anyway, seeing him soon :smile:

K1600_IMGP5852.JPG
K1600_IMGP6361.JPG

P.S. Still don't get how to size these images, just click for enlargement.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have better pictures on my phone.. Ah well. Snakes and lizard ahead.

Spoiler

The corn snake (brown one) is called Kronos, and is a lot older and bigger now, but those pics are when he was a baby.
The king snake (black one) is called Aegir, and is still very small.
The gecko I got when I was a kid and is called Abby, because I thought that when she was a baby, her markings looked like Aboriginal artwork.

Compared to mammals, reptiles are cheap and easy to look after. Seriously, mammals are a pain in the arse.

I am very overprotective of them - a long time ago someone on TSR thought I was crazy and straight out called me out for my psychotic defending, when they said something slightly against my lizard and ability to look after her. They are my absolute anchors to reality :P Couldn't live without them. No, really, I couldn't. I tried to live at uni alone, and could not do it, and ended up buying Kronos and hiding his box in a cupboard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
I used to keep inverts (phasmids & moths), but not at the moment due to lack of space (I pretty much live in a cupboard), lack of time and no access to a garden for foodplants.

They're so much fun to collect, study and breed. Very beautiful too! :smile:

This is my crested gecko (contender for cutest animal in the world BTW):

I totally agree, they are just so SO cute! (I've always wanted to keep one of these).
Reply 26
Original post by Sir Fox
Actually, it's not really my monkey. When I volunteered and lived in Ghana for a year we had this monkey (Popí, still a child) in our tiny office. It belonged to the NGO's boss and during the working hours it played in the cocoa trees nearby, so I always climbed the roof to play with it which ultimately led to me being chosen by the monkey as a surrogate father :biggrin: His favourite occupation was trying to steal my glasses, eating the tiny hairs from my arm, checking my head for bugs or jumping me to have a fight :colone:

Oh, I miss that little guy ... Anyway, seeing him soon :smile:

K1600_IMGP5852.JPG
K1600_IMGP6361.JPG

P.S. Still don't get how to size these images, just click for enlargement.

That's so amazing! I love monkeys and I have done from a very young age, I've always wanted one as a pet (although you can't really keep them as pets in the UK). I'd really love to go to Africa or Asia and see some monkeys, they're so cool.

Original post by lightburns
I have better pictures on my phone.. Ah well. Snakes and lizard ahead.

Spoiler

The corn snake (brown one) is called Kronos, and is a lot older and bigger now, but those pics are when he was a baby.
The king snake (black one) is called Aegir, and is still very small.
The gecko I got when I was a kid and is called Abby, because I thought that when she was a baby, her markings looked like Aboriginal artwork.

Compared to mammals, reptiles are cheap and easy to look after. Seriously, mammals are a pain in the arse.

I am very overprotective of them - a long time ago someone on TSR thought I was crazy and straight out called me out for my psychotic defending, when they said something slightly against my lizard and ability to look after her. They are my absolute anchors to reality :P Couldn't live without them. No, really, I couldn't. I tried to live at uni alone, and could not do it, and ended up buying Kronos and hiding his box in a cupboard.

Wow, you have some really nice animals, thanks for sharing! I think the corn snake is beautiful. I have considered taking and hiding my pets to uni, but I think there are quite a few ethical dilemmas with keeping tarantulas in a hall that could well have severe arachnophobes living there (I have a friend who won't even come in my house even though the spiders are upstairs).

Original post by Cinnabar
I used to keep inverts (phasmids & moths), but not at the moment due to lack of space (I pretty much live in a cupboard), lack of time and no access to a garden for foodplants.

They're so much fun to collect, study and breed. Very beautiful too! :smile:

I totally agree, they are just so SO cute! (I've always wanted to keep one of these).

I personally find moths a bit creepy... don't know what it is about them, but I'm not really a fan. Inverts are really fun to collect and study though, there is so much variety that you don't get with vertebrates (I think there are something like 900+ species of tarantula!!!!).
(edited 11 years ago)
I have squirrels in the roof. Although theyre more my sisters pets since she wont let me poison the bloody things.
I'd quite like to breed ants. Apparently if ants were only a bit bigger they'd take over the world. So if I kept selecting for size and aggression eventually I'd have giant super ants which I could then use to hold world governments to ransom.
Wow, you have some really nice animals, thanks for sharing! I think the corn snake is beautiful. I have considered taking and hiding my pets to uni, but I think there are quite a few ethical dilemmas with keeping tarantulas in a hall that could well have severe arachnophobes living there (I have a friend who won't even come in my house even though the spiders are upstairs).

I was living with several people who loathed snakes, and probably wouldn't appreciate the mice in the freezer. One plainly said to me earlier in the year no way to reptiles. But what they don't know can't hurt them.

I was a good house-mate in every other way, put up with their c*, didn't complain, sorted out the bills, took all the risk of the bills, never did anything which could annoy them (quiet, clean, etc.), never got angry at them despite some of them having screaming matches with each other, was available to deal with house things when they wanted to go out...

So screw it, if hiding a snake is the worst thing I do, then I think they had a very good deal.
I was living with several people who loathed snakes, and probably wouldn't appreciate the mice in the freezer. One plainly said to me earlier in the year no way to reptiles. But what they don't know can't hurt them.

I was a good house-mate in every other way, put up with their c*, didn't complain, sorted out the bills, took all the risk of the bills, never did anything which could annoy them (quiet, clean, etc.), never got angry at them despite some of them having screaming matches with each other, was available to deal with house things when they wanted to go out...

So screw it, if hiding a snake is the worst thing I do, then I think they had a very good deal.

Personally hiding snakes is the one thing I find really difficult to tolerate.
Original post by green.tea
Personally hiding snakes is the one thing I find really difficult to tolerate.

Non-venomous, small, not dangerous in any way. Quiet, non-smelly, fully enclosed in a small box. Unlike mammals, not prone to any kind of infestation, and unable to damage the property.

I was living with bad house-mates (noise, mess, not paying bills, etc.), I never put a toe out of line, and responsibility of everything was placed onto me.

I feel I earned it.
They never found out, so it never affected them. If they had known, then sure, it would have been unfair as they would have irrationally worried about things. But they didn't, so they didn't.
Reply 32
do turtles count as exotic? :s

Have 5 red eared sliders at the moment (well, they're being looked after by a friend until I return to china) and will be picking up a couple of razor-backed musk turtles ^_^

Girlfriend wants to get a leopard tortoise as soon as we have a garden too (probably isn't going to happen anytime soon...)
Reply 33
148747_10150680431555811_507240810_9986708_568978233_n.jpg

Oh hai :awesome: also two skinks, tarantula and two leopard geckos (technically my bfs but i do a lot of the care and two corn snakes (just finding the pics).
163423_485309880810_507240810_6578390_8105527_n.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
I've got three snakes.
Here's the albino black (not a contradiction btw!) rat snake:

She's in the process of laying eggs at the moment so will be having little baby snakes in a month or two :biggrin: she's mated with my other snake, a normal corn snake, although I don't have a picture of him.

I also have a royal python called Mars:

Not the greatest picture but he's gorgeous!

I can't wait till I've graduate and got a job so I can expand my collection :smile: On my list are both Columbian and Brazillian Rainbow boas, a Hog Island Boa, a crested gecko, and a couple more different pythons.
Non-venomous, small, not dangerous in any way. Quiet, non-smelly, fully enclosed in a small box. Unlike mammals, not prone to any kind of infestation, and unable to damage the property.

I was living with bad house-mates (noise, mess, not paying bills, etc.), I never put a toe out of line, and responsibility of everything was placed onto me.

I feel I earned it.
They never found out, so it never affected them. If they had known, then sure, it would have been unfair as they would have irrationally worried about things. But they didn't, so they didn't.

I once had a housemate who was constantly hiding snakes. We kept asking him to stop and he would for a while, but then he'd start again. When a girl who came over looked in the kitchen drawer for a tin opener and found a snake we realised he had to go. Friends have had similar problems.
Reply 36
Original post by Hearty_Beast
I've really wanted to get a snake since getting back, but with uni looming and the sheer cost of them in the UK, I've kept putting it off :frown:

Snakes are quite inexpensive. You can pick up a corn snake for around £20-30 or even for free on gumtree. Theres a fair few royal pythons on gumtree too, you can get one with a viv for around £100. But then sell the viv on for £50-80 and keep the snake in a 'Really-useful-box'. Heat mat will set you back a tenner, waterbowl - you can just a little ramekin dish out of the kitchen, hides can be made out of anything, butter tubs etc. The wood chips cost a fiver for a huge bag that will last you ages. And the food only really costs £4 a month at the most.

Hope you get one, they're brilliant pets :biggrin:
Original post by green.tea
I once had a housemate who was constantly hiding snakes. We kept asking him to stop and he would for a while, but then he'd start again. When a girl who came over looked in the kitchen drawer for a tin opener and found a snake we realised he had to go. Friends have had similar problems.

If you kept finding them, then he's doing it wrong. That would make you actually have a rational fear of finding snakes everywhere. I mean, seriously, a kitchen drawer??! That's insane. When I say I hid a snake, I mean that he stayed in my room continuously, and was secured in a proper box, and that all I died to hide him was to put him at the bottom of a wardrobe. Close the door, and voila, the snake is gone. But in my room. Not in communal spaces! Your housemate, even in my opinion, was completely out of order.
Reply 38
Original post by Trigger
148747_10150680431555811_507240810_9986708_568978233_n.jpg

Oh hai :awesome: also two skinks, tarantula and two leopard geckos (technically my bfs but i do a lot of the care and two corn snakes (just finding the pics).
163423_485309880810_507240810_6578390_8105527_n.jpg

Nice, you have loads! What specie tarantula do you have?

Original post by rifle.eyes
I've got three snakes.
Here's the albino black (not a contradiction btw!) rat snake:

She's in the process of laying eggs at the moment so will be having little baby snakes in a month or two :biggrin: she's mated with my other snake, a normal corn snake, although I don't have a picture of him.

I also have a royal python called Mars:

Not the greatest picture but he's gorgeous!

I can't wait till I've graduate and got a job so I can expand my collection :smile: On my list are both Columbian and Brazillian Rainbow boas, a Hog Island Boa, a crested gecko, and a couple more different pythons.

:O the first snake is gorgeous, such a nice colour. Great pics!
Reply 39
Nice, you have loads! What specie tarantula do you have?

:O the first snake is gorgeous, such a nice colour. Great pics!

Mexican Red Knee :yep:

Quick Reply