The Student Room Group

Does anyone else own an exotic pet (reptiles, inverterbrate etc.)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lukas1051
How long can you keep snakes in those containers? I'd love some snakes but most of the cost involved is with the vivarium (especially glass vivariums).

I'm not sure. The pet shop I bought my king snake say it's fine to keep them in RUBs forever, as long as you get the larger ones. You can get RUBs that aren't very tall but cover a fair amount of ground.

The place I bought my corn snake said to move to a viv after 1-2 years.

Currently the corn is in a larger RUB, and I'm not sure what I'll do as he grows larger. Haven't worked it out yet! Might depend on the size he ends up as. :/
Original post by Trigger
That isn't really an answer.

I just got off the phone to him. He didnt know they'd got a cat and is now upset that it may have eaten his mice. :frown: He says he likes mice because theyre so good at hiding. Apparently he's majorly into stick insects at the moment which is why he didnt have room for the mice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by lightburns
I'm not sure. The pet shop I bought my king snake say it's fine to keep them in RUBs forever, as long as you get the larger ones. You can get RUBs that aren't very tall but cover a fair amount of ground.

The place I bought my corn snake said to move to a viv after 1-2 years.

Currently the corn is in a larger RUB, and I'm not sure what I'll do as he grows larger. Haven't worked it out yet! Might depend on the size he ends up as. :/

Ok thanks! I should be able to save up money for a proper viv over a year or two, so I'll really consider a snake, there are some lovely little corn snakes in the local reptile shop, there are also some really nice African house snakes.
Original post by Miracle Day
Omg I hate Spiders. If that was in my house I'd probably burn my house down!

im sure u wud call ur mom to squish it...
Reply 64
How long can you keep snakes in those containers? I'd love some snakes but most of the cost involved is with the vivarium (especially glass vivariums).

Thanks :smile: she's even more vibrant in real life, she has a velvet black thorax and legs and a scarlet abdomen (which is why I named her Scarlett :P), the picture really doesn't do her justice. It's hard to get a good one of her though because she's always in her burrow!

I bet she's stunning to look at! I have wanted one for ages but my family isn't really warming to the idea of it but they said I could get one if I look after it etc. haha I guess this would be prime time to ask, are they actually good pets? how hard are they to keep? do they become loyal to you because that's really my main concern they'll try to run off and I'll get all depressed loool
Ok thanks! I should be able to save up money for a proper viv over a year or two, so I'll really consider a snake, there are some lovely little corn snakes in the local reptile shop, there are also some really nice African house snakes.

Corns are insanely easy to look after. It's almost enough to make one believe in a deity, because they seem to have been put on this planet solely for the purpose of become a pet.

They don't bite, eat once a week (but if it comes down to it, they'll be fine for much longer - my corn got unwell when he was young and went 6 weeks without food, and adults can go longer than babies), are hardy, non-aggressive, small....

Don't handle them 48 hours after they've eaten, and be aware that after this time they can and will poo on you - best time to handle is after they've pooed and before they get fed.

:biggrin: Get a corn! They are wonderful. There's lots of varieties, so make sure you have a look before you get one. Mine was called 'black corn snake' in the shop, but I think its technical name is anerythristic. I hate the orangey colour that most corns have.
Reply 66
Original post by Mr Young

I bet she's stunning to look at! I have wanted one for ages but my family isn't really warming to the idea of it but they said I could get one if I look after it etc. haha I guess this would be prime time to ask, are they actually good pets? how hard are they to keep? do they become loyal to you because that's really my main concern they'll try to run off haha

I think they're great pets, mainly because they're so interesting to watch and study - they're really intelligent and behave in ways you've never seen animals behave before. They're very easy to care for - put a cricket in their tank twice a week and they'll be fine, most species will live at room temperature, they don't require attention, they don't need cleaning, they're very hardy... the only thing you have to watch for is when they molt, some species like to randomly fast too which can be annoying. Care information is easy to find on the internet though.

As for loyalty, they don't really have 'emotions' as we know them, they'll probably never love you like a dog would, unfortunately... but you don't have to worry about them escaping unless you're silly enough to leave the lid off.
Reply 67
Original post by lightburns
Corns are insanely easy to look after. It's almost enough to make one believe in a deity, because they seem to have been put on this planet solely for the purpose of become a pet.

They don't bite, eat once a week (but if it comes down to it, they'll be fine for much longer - my corn got unwell when he was young and went 6 weeks without food, and adults can go longer than babies), are hardy, non-aggressive, small....

Don't handle them 48 hours after they've eaten, and be aware that after this time they can and will poo on you - best time to handle is after they've pooed and before they get fed.

:biggrin: Get a corn! They are wonderful. There's lots of varieties, so make sure you have a look before you get one. Mine was called 'black corn snake' in the shop, but I think its technical name is anerythristic. I hate the orangey colour that most corns have.

Yeah, I'll probably go have a look at the weekend. Thanks for the information :smile:
I hope you aren't using calcium sand!!!

Sorry, this just reminded me of my sister who works at a reptile rescure centre...she goes on about calcium sand as if hitler invented it...

Really though, would love a bearded dragon... :smile:
Reply 69
I think they're great pets, mainly because they're so interesting to watch and study - they're really intelligent and behave in ways you've never seen animals behave before. They're very easy to care for - put a cricket in their tank twice a week and they'll be fine, most species will live at room temperature, they don't require attention, they don't need cleaning, they're very hardy... the only thing you have to watch for is when they molt, some species like to randomly fast too which can be annoying. Care information is easy to find on the internet though.

As for loyalty, they don't really have 'emotions' as we know them, they'll probably never love you like a dog would, unfortunately... but you don't have to worry about them escaping unless you're silly enough to leave the lid off.

I'd love to be able to just look and stare at it for hours on end! I think it would be so interesting. oh wow that does sound quite easy! I thought they'd be very hard to look after, cleaning the tank once a day, monitoring the temperature of tank etc. what would you say would be the best tank to get?

Does your mexican red rump molt a lot? because that seems like such a beautiful spider! I am actually really keen on getting one now!

Thannks for all this info btw
Reply 70
Original post by Mr Young
I'd love to be able to just look and stare at it for hours on end! I think it would be so interesting. oh wow that does sound quite easy! I thought they'd be very hard to look after, cleaning the tank once a day, monitoring the temperature of tank etc. what would you say would be the best tank to get?

Does your mexican red rump molt a lot? because that seems like such a beautiful spider! I am actually really keen on getting one now!

Thannks for all this info btw

My spiders are in my room next to me desk, so when I'm doing work I just see them out the corner of my eye, they really are interesting. They're nothing like that, you probably need to clean out their tank no more than once a year and they're very hardy. I keep mine in glass vivariums, the tank needs to be about three times their legspan in length. The frequency of molting depends on its age, mine hasn't molted since I've had her (about a month) and she's not quite an adult yet, so I reckon she'll probably molt twice a year, adults tend to molt only once a year.

A mexican red rump is relatively easy to care for, it's not generally considered a beginner species though, mainly because they can be quite fast and aggressive (they like to flick hairs) - as far as vibrant species go I'd recommend a Chaco golden knee or a mexican red knee (although red knees are quite expensive). See what is available at a local reptile shop though, they'll be able to give you some good advice :smile:
Snakes are cool and its nice to see all the pictures. But its difficult to get an idea of how big they are and for someone deciding what type to get its important t know. I mean generally big snakes are better but if youve only go a tight space then one getting too big means its not comfortable. So how big are your snakes?
Reply 72
I also have a Leopard Gecko, his name is Leo :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by green.tea
Snakes are cool and its nice to see all the pictures. But its difficult to get an idea of how big they are and for someone deciding what type to get its important t know. I mean generally big snakes are better but if youve only go a tight space then one getting too big means its not comfortable. So how big are your snakes?

Corns max out around 5 foot, but they've not very heavy bodied snakes at all. My girlfriends little sister (aged 10) can handle our longest corn with no problems, well apart from him trying to stick his head in things like the blinds and behind the stereo :P

Royals take ages to grow so you can get used the size as they grow more with them. Corns grow quite fast, but at full length they are totally manageable. Plus snakes can handle a lot smaller space than you'd think. Royals especially will feel stressed if in too large a container.

With most snakes the female usually is the larger, with most beginner snakes this won't make much difference as they're all fairly similar, and small, in size. However once you start looking at Burmese/reticulated pythons and boas the female is generally a lot bigger and beefier.

What were you thinking of getting?
7 tortioses, best pets EVER!!
Reply 75
Rats are exotic right? No? Oh well, here's my two boys in a tissue box: ratties.jpg
I've got three fire bellied newts and a bearded dragon living with me. I'd love to adopt a snake but I don't have the time or money for it at the moment.

I've got a few fish as well. Depends what you class as 'exotic' really.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Oh wow she's beautiful. I can't wait for my crestie to be fully grown, it's only a few months old and it's tiny at the minute, this is a picture for size comparison

(pic)

I'd like to get a leopard gecko, their patterns are so cool (although I like the crests on cresties too) :smile:

Thank you! She's a little character, she loves to come out of her viv and walk up and down my arm!

Your crestie is so tiny and cute. I definitely want a crestie next.

I also love the look of Tokay geckos but don't have the balls to own one unless it was tame as hell! Lol!
Reply 78
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
I've got three fire bellied newts and a bearded dragon living with me. I'd love to adopt a snake but I don't have the time or money for it at the moment.

I've got a few fish as well. Depends what you class as 'exotic' really.

Wow, newts, that's so cool! The reptile shop near me sell axolotl, perhaps the strangest creature I've ever seen :s-smilie:

Original post by F Ellen
Thank you! She's a little character, she loves to come out of her viv and walk up and down my arm!

Your crestie is so tiny and cute. I definitely want a crestie next.

I also love the look of Tokay geckos but don't have the balls to own one unless it was tame as hell! Lol!

Thanks :smile: I'd love a tokay gecko too, their colours and patterns are so cool, although I wouldn't dare handle it, I've seen one bite and they're pretty vicious.
Reply 79
Here's another pic of Zazoo, I love how leos look like they're always grinning, lol:

Wow, newts, that's so cool! The reptile shop near me sell axolotl, perhaps the strangest creature I've ever seen :s-smilie:

Totally love axolotls ever since I first played Animal Crossing, lol
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest