The Student Room Group

Does anyone else own an exotic pet (reptiles, inverterbrate etc.)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by F Ellen
Here's another pic of Zazoo, I love how leos look like they're always grinning, lol:

Totally love axolotls ever since I first played Animal Crossing, lol

Yes! Animal Crossing was like my favourite game ever. :biggrin:

Awww she's really cute. How big is her viv out of curiosity? Looks quite big from the picture. Does yours spend a lot of time on the ground? My crestie is almost always sat on the branch underneath some leaves.
Reply 81
Original post by lukas1051
Yes! Animal Crossing was like my favourite game ever. :biggrin:

Awww she's really cute. How big is her viv out of curiosity? Looks quite big from the picture. Does yours spend a lot of time on the ground? My crestie is almost always sat on the branch underneath some leaves.

Her viv is 2ft by... actually I don't know height and width, lol. But it's 2ft long. :smile: I'd like a 3ft just so she had even more space to wander about, she likes to wander!

She spends almost all of her time on the ground, leos aren't arboreal like cresties as I'm sure you know already :smile: Her fave hide is the one in that pic, she loves it! I wish she'd go in the moist hide more as she has shedding problems with her toes and it'd help her!
Reply 82
Original post by F Ellen
Her viv is 2ft by... actually I don't know height and width, lol. But it's 2ft long. :smile: I'd like a 3ft just so she had even more space to wander about, she likes to wander!

She spends almost all of her time on the ground, leos aren't arboreal like cresties as I'm sure you know already :smile: Her fave hide is the one in that pic, she loves it! I wish she'd go in the moist hide more as she has shedding problems with her toes and it'd help her!

Ah OK cool... I didn't actually know leopard geckos were terrestrial, I was a bit worried I'd have to buy a bigger tank when my crestie becomes fully grown because it would stop sitting on the branches, but the viv is quite tall so it should be fine :smile:
Reply 83
Ah OK cool... I didn't actually know leopard geckos were terrestrial, I was a bit worried I'd have to buy a bigger tank when my crestie becomes fully grown because it would stop sitting on the branches, but the viv is quite tall so it should be fine :smile:

I'm sure your crestie will be fine! Do you feed yours livefood or stick to the crested gecko food you can get?

I bloody hate crickets with a passion, and bugs of any kind really, I just put up with them for Zazoo, lol.
Reply 84
Original post by F Ellen
I'm sure your crestie will be fine! Do you feed yours livefood or stick to the crested gecko food you can get?

I bloody hate crickets with a passion, and bugs of any kind really, I just put up with them for Zazoo, lol.

Well when we first got it we were feeding it purred mango with some calcium powder mixed in, but it wasn't really keen on it and wouldn't eat much, but now we give it calcium dusted crickets which it loves, it's really funny to watch it hunt.
I've owned various things over the years, here are some random photos, I probably have more though..

Tarantulas

Spoiler

Other invertebrates

Spoiler

Lizards

Spoiler

Pygmy Hedgehog

Spoiler

Reply 86
Original post by joey11223
x

There have been a lot of these black worms (are that actually worms or caterpillars, they had legs?) where I lived in Ghana, when my parents visited me my mother saw one and jumped around, thinking it was a snake :biggrin:

I'm actually surprised >90% of the exotic animals posted are either reptils or insects. No one keeping a wolf in his garden? No monkeys? Exotic birds?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
I've owned various things over the years, here are some random photos, I probably have more though..

Tarantulas

Spoiler

Other invertebrates

Spoiler

Lizards

Spoiler

Pygmy Hedgehog

Spoiler

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing, you have some really interesting creatures there, especially the inverts (the windscorpion made me shudder a bit though). Which would you say is your favourite tarantula? I think your Chaco golden knee (at least that's what it looks like) is beautiful, I can't wait until mine is fully grown.
Reply 88

Lizards

Spoiler

Love this pic :biggrin: Mealworm tongue!

Great pics, are these all pets you own at the moment?
Original post by Sir Fox
There have been a lot of these black worms (are that actually worms or caterpillars, they had legs?) where I lived in Ghana, when my parents visited me my mother saw one and jumped around, thinking it was a snake :biggrin:

I'm actually surprised >90% of the exotic animals posted are either reptils or insects. No one keeping a wolf in his garden? No monkeys? Exotic birds?

Are you referring to the photo of the long one on my arm? They're millipedes, yes Ghana and other African nations are one of the bigger sources of "giant" species of millipede, Tanzania is another main place they're imported from. They're totally harmless, though they have a strong grip.

The reason people don't have things like wolves and bigger exotic animals is that for many species you need a DWA (dangerous wild animal) licence, which can be costly and convoluted to obtain.

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing, you have some really interesting creatures there, especially the inverts (the windscorpion made me shudder a bit though). Which would you say is your favourite tarantula? I think your Chaco golden knee (at least that's what it looks like) is beautiful, I can't wait until mine is fully grown.

It's not actually a Chaco gold knee, if I posted a better photo the difference might be more obvious. I forget the common name of my tarantula but the scientific name is Acanthoscurria geniculata, so google that for pics. Basically the lighting was off in my photo, an A.genic has more whitish to cream strips, where as obviously a Chaco gold knee is golden, also A.genic are a little bigger. I would say mine has a leg span of 8".

Original post by F Ellen
Love this pic :biggrin: Mealworm tongue!

Great pics, are these all pets you own at the moment?

Thanks, just took the meal worm pic today as I fed them, didn't think I'd caught him with his mouth open. I had no photos of my lizards and I thought I'd take some for this thread.

But nope not all of them....

The lizards I own now (1 S.sthenodactylus, 3 x A.carolinnensis)

The tarantulas, some have died, one I sold on as it was male. But I think I have some I didn't post photos of. I currently have 6 Tarantulas and the camel spider(under inverts)

Don't have the scorpion any more and I won't buy any new ones while I'm in my current relationship as my girlfriend really doesn't like them.

Don't have the stick insect(s), that was probably two years ago, which obviously is longer then their life span. Same with the praying mantis.

I do have the hedgehog..

Don't have the millipedes as I sold them on, though come the summer I might actually get a couple.

think that's about it...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90

It's not actually a Chaco gold knee, if I posted a better photo the difference might be more obvious. I forget the common name of my tarantula but the scientific name is Acanthoscurria geniculata, so google that for pics. Basically the lighting was off in my photo, an A.genic has more whitish to cream strips, where as obviously a Chaco gold knee is golden, also A.genic are a little bigger. I would say mine has a leg span of 8".

Ah ok, there are so many species of tarantula it can be hard to tell certain species apart just from the picture. I know Chaco golden knees can get pretty big though, I think 8" on the upper end of the scale. You have some really nice species though :smile:
Reply 91

Thanks, just took the meal worm pic today as I fed them, didn't think I'd caught him with his mouth open. I had no photos of my lizards and I thought I'd take some for this thread.

But nope not all of them....

The lizards I own now (1 S.sthenodactylus, 3 x A.carolinnensis)

The tarantulas, some have died, one I sold on as it was male. But I think I have some I didn't post photos of. I currently have 6 Tarantulas and the camel spider(under inverts)

Don't have the scorpion any more and I won't buy any new ones while I'm in my current relationship as my girlfriend really doesn't like them.

Don't have the stick insect(s), that was probably two years ago, which obviously is longer then their life span. Same with the praying mantis.

I do have the hedgehog..

Don't have the millipedes as I sold them on, though come the summer I might actually get a couple.

think that's about it...

Thanks for replying :smile: I'd love to own more, but I just don't have the space! :frown:
Original post by Hearty_Beast
I used to live abroad (Malawi) and kept a few reptiles (house snakes, agamas, skinks/geckos, and a chameleon or two). My friend and I would catch them and keep them for a few days before releasing them. :smile:
Looked after a python at school there too! :biggrin:

I've really wanted to get a snake since getting back, but with uni looming and the sheer cost of them in the UK, I've kept putting it off :frown:
Maybe if I rent a place in second year... :wink:

Basically: *watching this thread* :biggrin:

Ooh Malawi :woo:
I loveedd it when I was there..but I couldnt get used to the random reptiles on the walls etc !!
Once when the power/lights went off, I ended up sitting on a random table for 10 mins till it came back on..and :eek3: there was a HUGE spider bigger than my palm right underneath!!! I screamed soo loudly, it dissappeared and I never saw it again :tongue:

But I guess if you like animals like that then you would be lucky because Malawi is full of them :biggrin:, Btw I got to hold a baby crocodile whilst I was there..I was proud of myself :biggrin: :redface:
I have a velociraptor in my back garden.
Reply 94
Hi guys, so I got a pet bearded dragon yesterday! They're such brilliant pets, definitely a lot more human than anything else I've had :smile: he's called Drake and he's 9 months old

Spoiler

Reply 95
Hi guys, so I got a pet bearded dragon yesterday! They're such brilliant pets, definitely a lot more human than anything else I've had :smile: he's called Drake and he's 9 months old

Spoiler

Congrats on getting a beardie! He looks lovely, wish I had the room for one!
Reply 96
Original post by F Ellen
Congrats on getting a beardie! He looks lovely, wish I had the room for one!

Thanks :smile: yeah they do take up quite a bit of room... I think the viv is about 3ft x 2ft x 2ft, so quite big. Definitely going to have to leave him at home when I move out :frown:
I have an african grey parrot but i think there quite common place now when pets are concerned.
Reply 98
Original post by AverageExcellence
I have an african grey parrot but i think there quite common place now when pets are concerned.

Yeah they are kinda common, no more than a lot of reptiles though :smile: my grandma used to have one, it died last year but she had it since she was a teenager, it lived about 60 years! :eek:
Reply 99
Hey everyone! I got a bearded dragon yesterday, our next door neighbour is moving out and doesn't have room for it at his new place, so he sold it to me with the viv for a really good price. His name is Drake, such a cute little guy :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending