The Student Room Group

Does anyone else own an exotic pet (reptiles, inverterbrate etc.)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by lukas1051
Hey everyone! I got a bearded dragon yesterday, our next door neighbour is moving out and doesn't have room for it at his new place, so he sold it to me with the viv for a really good price. His name is Drake, such a cute little guy :smile:

Spoiler

Oh he is gorgeous! They are such brilliant little pets :biggrin:
Reply 101
Original post by Trigger
Oh he is gorgeous! They are such brilliant little pets :biggrin:

They really are! I wasn't expecting him to be so interactive and have such a distinctive personality, he really does feel like a pet as opposed to just an animal.
Original post by rifle.eyes
I've got three snakes.
Here's the albino black (not a contradiction btw!) rat snake:

She's in the process of laying eggs at the moment so will be having little baby snakes in a month or two :biggrin: she's mated with my other snake, a normal corn snake, although I don't have a picture of him.

I also have a royal python called Mars:

Not the greatest picture but he's gorgeous!

I can't wait till I've graduate and got a job so I can expand my collection :smile: On my list are both Columbian and Brazillian Rainbow boas, a Hog Island Boa, a crested gecko, and a couple more different pythons.

Hey,

I'm really interested in getting a royal/ball python next year once I get back from travelling. How much did you pay for yours? I take it he is a normal and not a morph.

I might see if I can go to a reptile convention and pick out a cool morph that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.
Original post by biffyclyro27
Hey,

I'm really interested in getting a royal/ball python next year once I get back from travelling. How much did you pay for yours? I take it he is a normal and not a morph.

I might see if I can go to a reptile convention and pick out a cool morph that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

Or..... You could buy this morph: Inferno poss citrus. £9,995.
Or how about... Soulsucker. £13,995.

Imagine if you bought it, then it died! :O!
Hey,

Yeah he's a normal, but a very nice normal! I got him for £65 at a local reptile shop. Have a look on http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-classifieds/ you'll get one for a fair bit cheaper. Anything you get off the classifieds there will be cheaper than a pet shop. There's always loads of different morphs for sale on there. The cheaper ones are spiders, pastels, lessers, yellow belly, fire. Bumblebees are gorgeous too, can probably pick a baby up for around £300, which isn't too bad when you think of what you'd pay for a pet dog.

Think there's a big reptile convection in the summer that all the big breeders go to. Might go along myself and get a few "graduation-rewards" for myself :P
Original post by lightburns

Haha! Who even buys these expensive morphs? Is it just breeders selling to breeders who sell to breeders? :P

Have you seen the flatline morph? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYR6hv3mT2o&feature=player_detailpage It's right at the end...
Haha! Who even buys these expensive morphs? Is it just breeders selling to breeders who sell to breeders? :P

Have you seen the flatline morph? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYR6hv3mT2o&feature=player_detailpage It's right at the end...

Nice! Very nice. I want to live in that room, there's snake boxes everywhere!

I'd assume so, as it's a good investment for a breeder to make lots of babies. I have heard of new morphs in USA going for 50-100k USD! I assume there are similar insane prices here for new morphs.
Original post by lightburns

Ha yeah I know, maybe you can get insurance? I'd only pay that much for a morph if I was absolutely minted, and it would have to be nicer than those two, don't think they look all that great. I like any of them that are bright yellow though, they look cool.

I guess it's an investment really though, if you breed them, you will probably make your money back with more morphs.

Yeah he's a normal, but a very nice normal! I got him for £65 at a local reptile shop. Have a look on http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-classifieds/ you'll get one for a fair bit cheaper. Anything you get off the classifieds there will be cheaper than a pet shop. There's always loads of different morphs for sale on there. The cheaper ones are spiders, pastels, lessers, yellow belly, fire. Bumblebees are gorgeous too, can probably pick a baby up for around £300, which isn't too bad when you think of what you'd pay for a pet dog.

Think there's a big reptile convection in the summer that all the big breeders go to. Might go along myself and get a few "graduation-rewards" for myself :P

hmm, dunno if I'll go to £300 tbh. I don't thinik I'll like any of the morphs at the £300 range significantly more than the £150 range. I like the albino het ones, but they are about £300 I think.

I think it's mostly people who collect reptiles, and most of them breed them to fund their collections. That moreph is pretty awesome, I'd love one of those.

hmm, dunno if I'll go to £300 tbh. I don't thinik I'll like any of the morphs at the £300 range significantly more than the £150 range. I like the albino het ones, but they are about £300 I think.

Het albinos go for around the £150 mark, but they look absolutely the same as a normal. If you're not planning on trying to breed out some albinos there's not much point in getting a het. I really want to get an albino :P maybe they'll come down in price in the next few years.

Oh also, males are cheaper than females. The difference gets bigger the better the morph. e.g for normals theres like 10-15 pound in it, for albinos it's maybe 100 pound difference.
Het albinos go for around the £150 mark, but they look absolutely the same as a normal. If you're not planning on trying to breed out some albinos there's not much point in getting a het. I really want to get an albino :P maybe they'll come down in price in the next few years.

Oh also, males are cheaper than females. The difference gets bigger the better the morph. e.g for normals theres like 10-15 pound in it, for albinos it's maybe 100 pound difference.

Yeah sorry I meant albino, albino het is what you get by breeding normal with albino I think. I think they carry the albino gene, hence the higher price.

Edit, sorry I didn't read your full post. I guess you know this already :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a ukulele.
Reply 111
Can i class myself as an exotic pet?
Original post by EDF Blob
Can i class myself as an exotic pet?

Yes

My red eared terrapins :biggrin: The only decent picture I could find.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey everyone! I got a bearded dragon yesterday, our next door neighbour is moving out and doesn't have room for it at his new place, so he sold it to me with the viv for a really good price. His name is Drake, such a cute little guy :smile:

Spoiler

Aww! He is so cute, I'm slightly envious that you have such a wonderful pet. Definitely put a smile on my face.
Original post by moonymeen

So cute! I use to have red eared terrapins but they unfortunately passed away a few years ago. How old are they?
Original post by -silverfox-
So cute! I use to have red eared terrapins but they unfortunately passed away a few years ago. How old are they?

Aww, sorry for your sad loss :frown: and they're approaching their 9th birthday believe it or not xD yes they are so small for their size... :colondollar: How old were yours?
Reply 117
Original post by -silverfox-
Aww! He is so cute, I'm slightly envious that you have such a wonderful pet. Definitely put a smile on my face.

Thanks, he's a really great pet, very cute :smile:

This is a video I took of him the other day:

Aww, sorry for your sad loss :frown: and they're approaching their 9th birthday believe it or not xD yes they are so small for their size... :colondollar: How old were yours?

Lol i actually don't know it was a pet that was pass through family but I remembered it was the size of an average dinner plate by the time it was passed down to me - ridiculously heavy and old, but i loved him. :smile:
Reply 119

They are lovely! :biggrin: Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, he's a really great pet, very cute :smile:

This is a video I took of him the other day:

I just love your beardie. Beardies just have loads of personality!

Quick Reply

Latest