Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what are the possible routes into a career in trading/investment baking/hedge fund?

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As an AS level student predicted straight A's in Maths, Economics, Physics, Art and Politics what are the possible routes into a career in trading/investment baking/hedge fund? open to any ideas from student leaver schemes to degrees
    thanks very much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bakery?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All anyone cares about these days is making bread.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    take a baking course, but you have to get your profiteroles perfect otherwise the investment bakeries won't accept you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Experience is key, I would say get an apprenticeship with a baker he'll teach you the trade. Until then you can always start from home, look up the great British bake-off online, its a TV series shown on BBC earlier this year, or even better get a cookbook and start learning now!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt_wills)
    As an AS level student predicted straight A's in Maths, Economics, Physics, Art and Politics what are the possible routes into a career in trading/investment baking/hedge fund? open to any ideas from student leaver schemes to degrees
    thanks very much
    Nah, don't bother with the degree. The bakery thing is good.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol this thread :rofl:

Exotic doughrivatives is where all the real bakers are at.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Nah, don't bother with the degree. The bakery thing is good.
    Actually he can get a degree.

A degree in bakery at London South Bank uni. Here is the link if you want to apply.http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/nbs/

But I won't be so cruel, in all honesty, I would think a maths degree combined with either finance or economics. Even some engineers can become, but I'd stick to the maths degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If going on graduate scheme then Maths (or Maths combined) if you're very confident you'll get excellent Math degree. Needs to be 1st from most Unis, 2.1 from Oxbridge. I know people with variety of Oxbridge degrees who have got on IB schemes - not just Math but I also know a trader now in Hong Kong who did his Math with Economics degree at Essex 3 years ago. His bank knew of his course because Essex is well rated for Economics and research - so they get a fair few post grads from there but he went straight from degree. He went through his interview questions with me and I could answer the math based ones and I'm no mathematician. They were more practical - such as if x happened to one currency and you were trading in a different one what would you do first. I did economics and I think that helped me a lot in being able to answer that sort of thing.

Go on bank / fund websites and look at the careers bit. See the case studies and what they did at Uni and where and use that as a benchmark to find popular courses. Check how long they've been at the bank if you can as fashions change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ropey1)
    If going on graduate scheme then Maths (or Maths combined) if you're very confident you'll get excellent Math degree. Needs to be 1st from most Unis, 2.1 from Oxbridge. I know people with variety of Oxbridge degrees who have got on IB schemes - not just Math but I also know a trader now in Hong Kong who did his Math with Economics degree at Essex 3 years ago. His bank knew of his course because Essex is well rated for Economics and research - so they get a fair few post grads from there but he went straight from degree. He went through his interview questions with me and I could answer the math based ones and I'm no mathematician. They were more practical - such as if x happened to one currency and you were trading in a different one what would you do first. I did economics and I think that helped me a lot in being able to answer that sort of thing.

Go on bank / fund websites and look at the careers bit. See the case studies and what they did at Uni and where and use that as a benchmark to find popular courses. Check how long they've been at the bank if you can as fashions change.
    You bitch just destroyed the thread.

Edit: That's not even good advice, LOL. Love TSR.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow - an investment baking course at London South Bank will cost nearly GBP 8500 this year...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    You bitch just destroyed the thread.

Edit: That's not even good advice, LOL. Love TSR.
    Sorry you think this way. I'm sure your background in baking will get you far!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ropey1)
    Sorry you think this way. I'm sure your background in baking will get you far!
    That's much better! I really hope it does!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah for ****s sake!! classic typo error, I got all excited when it said 12 replies!! :L cheers for the actual advice given though, much appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt_wills)
    Ah for ****s sake!! classic typo error, I got all excited when it said 12 replies!! :L cheers for the actual advice given though, much appreciated
    also like how it always says
    Re: what are the possible routes into a career in trading/investment baking/hedge fun

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 24, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.