Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£900 Build including peripherals.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've got £900 put away for a gaming build but also have to buy peripherals and any input you have is appreciated. I have no idea with regards to monitor, mouse and keyboard so I'd like help with them.

I'm not overclocking so that's why I have gone with that CPU. Also I'll be looking around on different sites for bundles and deals to get the price down by a little bit.

Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build..jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	143421  
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm a bit rusty on the old hardware front.

Was just going to ask why you were building your computer Incognito?! :p:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would replace the case with this: http://www.ebuyer.com/143854-antec-3...761345-08300-3
    PSU: http://www.ebuyer.com/192111-ocz-fat...u-ocz550fty-uk

Saves money and 550W is definitely enough for what you're running otherwise look at this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/174182-ocz-mod...-ocz600mxsp-uk

or http://www.ebuyer.com/152008-ocz-mxs...fan-ocz700mxsp

Then replace the i5 2400 with i5 2500k for £20 more.

I have used the case in two of my builds and would highly recommend it whilst I with the PSU I have the 700w version in case I wish to invest in another Nvidia 570 for SLI.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you get an i5 instead of i7? I doubt your graphics card would be used to much effect without a top-notch processor, unless you're willing to either sacrifice the sharpness or the overall speed
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly bumping after 20 minutes will just annoy people. The people who know about computers don't sit on here just waiting for your question.

One obvious missing part is the operating System (unless you're going to run Linux - which isn't known for being a good gaming OS).

In terms of Keyboard and mouse the main thing is probably to find one your happy using. The biggest choice is probably whether to get wireless ones or wired.

Monitor. I'd recommend something with a good resolution and try and stick to a known brand. I've usually used Ilyama monitors for choice and I've always been happy with them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaneboy)
    Why would you get an i5 instead of i7? I doubt your graphics card would be used to much effect without a top-notch processor, unless you're willing to either sacrifice the sharpness or the overall speed
    Why on earth would you require an i7 in this day and age? What sorta programs would benefit from it? An i5 2500k is more than enough unless you're running something like Photoshop and you demand instant results...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Why on earth would you require an i7 in this day and age? What sorta programs would benefit from it? An i5 2500k is more than enough unless you're running something like Photoshop and you demand instant results...
    Ever heard of Napoleon Total War? Don't know exactly what games would be played, but an i5 would be laggy playing it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Bump
    I'd buy a less s****y (s-masturbate-y) case and buy a 7870. And get a 2500k for an extra £7 HERE

Ever heard of Napoleon Total War? Don't know exactly what games would be played, but an i5 would be laggy playing it.
    I can't tell if you're trolling. You do realise the i5 2500k is a 3.3GHz quad core with sandy-bridge architecture? There is no game out today that it would struggle with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkMhAokyZ6k

^^This guy maxes out N:TW at 55fps with a phenom x4 and a 6850..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your not overclocking, I suggest you get a p67 mobo which is cheaper. z68 is only good for those who want to overclock and whilst your at it scrap the processor and get the i5 2500k with an asus or gigabyte z68 mobo
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have it on my system and it runs fine.

i5 2500k
    Nvidia GTX 570

I also have the newer Total War (Shogun 2) which also runs fine...

Edit: Are you sure you're on about an i5 and not a Pentium 4 Processor? :/
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You sir, know **** all about technology.

If anything, the hyperthreading on i7's has been reported to cause games to slow down
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I'd say OP, and some may disagree with me here, is that for around £15 more that 4Gb of ram could be 8GB (2x4GB). Some will say 8GB is a little excessive, but I think with the latest games and especially some mods people release to help improve games textures and such, it's not a bad future proofing idea if you'll have the computer for a fair few years, and for £15 or so..why not tbh.

Also HDD wise, can you not get a 2TB for the same price basically? I was pricing up a build recently and I could have sworn I had a 2TB Seagate HDD, 7200RPM, 6GB/s etc, for £84?

Monitor wise, this monitor here has had some fabulous reviews and if I were to build myself a new system now, I would buy this monitor...

AOC i2353fh (look around for prices, I think it's going for around £135-160.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Sorry, I'm a bit rusty on the old hardware front.

Was just going to ask why you were building your computer Incognito?! :p:
    I was obviously just beating off before I posted this.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    P.S. I know this might just be a build but you can save bits and pieces ordering from different website. As I said i5 2500k for an extra 8 quid, hard drive can be £5+ cheaper and you could get a corsair 650W for £8 less and a more reliable brand in my opinion. These little things might get you a better keyboard/monitor etc. so it's worth it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're joking...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	143581

Ok so what I have done. Used SCAN because they are cheaper.

Same GPU

Cheapest 1TB HDD on there, same size.

4GB corsair Vengeance RAM. 2 quid cheaper, you could get 8GB for a tad over £40 quid. same speed too @ 1600. If the big heatspreaders are a problem then RAM with smaller heatspreaders can be had for ~£2 difference.

i5 2500k. If you are adamant you wont overclock then get a i5 2500 (not a i5 2400)

Fully modular PSU with a 5 year warranty. The Same PSU you chose is the exact same price on SCAN so getting this one which is slightly more efficient (85% bronze) and has a longer warranty is obviously better.

Same Case. cheaper.

As for OS, cd drive and CPU cooler I left blank for you to choose. Comes in at £678.34

If your not overclocking then you might be able to find a p67 / h67 board for cheaper than the z68.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've got £900 put away for a gaming build but also have to buy peripherals and any input you have is appreciated. I have no idea with regards to monitor, mouse and keyboard so I'd like help with them.

I'm not overclocking so that's why I have gone with that CPU. Also I'll be looking around on different sites for bundles and deals to get the price down by a little bit.

http://www.ebuyer.com/220862-coolerm...le-rc-692-kka3

Coolermaster CM690 II Lite with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU £99.99

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-in...VJG.html?src=2

Asus Intel Performance Bundle (Includes P8Z68-V LX Motherboard, Intel Core i5-2500K & 8GB DDR3) £309.99

You can easily use your old hard drive.

GPU wise your choice is perfectly fine or a 7850http://www.ebuyer.com/349918-his-hd-...hics-h785f2g2m for a tenner more.

My build for you is ok, just the only issue would be the socket for the motherboard.
    I haven't got much time, but I could try to make a better build for later?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Asus Intel Performance Bundle (Includes P8Z68-V LX Motherboard, Intel Core i5-2500K & 8GB DDR3) £309.99
    Here is the motherboard for £75. And here is an i5 2500k for £160. As well as 8GB RAM for £35. Saves a nice £40 (okay so the ram is 1600mhz rather than 1866, but the motherboard only supports up to 1600mhz anyway ).
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Here is the motherboard for £75. And here is an i5 2500k for £160. As well as 8GB RAM for £35. Saves a nice £40 (okay so the ram is 1600mhz rather than 1866, but the motherboard only supports up to 1600mhz anyway ).
    If it's cheaper than he should go for, I bought one of their bundles recently which was about £5 difference when buying separately it was just more convenient and they're all ready and compatible.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.