Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Non-Christians - which sins do you disagree with?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe that all sinful behaviour, ad described in the Bible, can be rationally justified.

Do you? If not, which do you disagree with?

The Ten Commandments might be a good place to start.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality. Killing and stealing are sometimes unfortunate necessities.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why working on a sunday is a bad thing.

Homosexuality isn't a sin.

Killing isn't always bad (i.e self defence) granted, it should be the last result but my point still stands. He didn't say murder
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. You shall have no other god but Me
    2. You shall not make yourself an idol
    3. You shall not misuse the name of God
    4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
    5. Respect your father and mother
    6. You must not kill
    7. You must not commit adultery
    8. You must not steal
    9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour
    10. You must not be envious of your neighbours goods.

Is that a good start? Of course, I disagree with some a lot more than others, but I believe none of them should be judged without a context.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk"

Every Saturday, while I'm seething my goat I think about this and it ****s me right off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1-3 are clearly irrelevant.

4 is just silly.

5 is OK in principal, but shouldn't trump common sense. Some parents don't deserve respect.

6 is a good principal, but you've got to be pragmatic. Self defense, fighting in a war against oppression, etc.

7 requires far too much case-by-case info to be a general rule, although I agree that it's a good idea in principal.

8 is again good in principal, but I can't find it in me to get upset at someone in poverty stealing food to get by, for example.

9 has to be correct in general; the truth is important.

10 is pretty much impossible. You can't help human nature. It's what you do about it that counts.

The main point is, even for the ones that are OK, that the fact that religions may have some good pronouncements do not necessarily make them "religious morals." Many of them pre-date religions, who then co-opted them. I'm sure people had a good idea that murder wasn't a great thing to do before it appeared in the bible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golding)
    I believe that all sinful behaviour, ad described in the Bible, can be rationally justified.

Which set of the Ten Commandments are you referring to? Scripture contains at least 4 or 5 different versions.

In any case, this is probably the best take on the Commandments.

• 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golding)

Homosexuality being a sin is the main one. And the possibility that non- Christians go to hell (I say possibility because this topic seems to be debatable).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haircuts, wearing clothes of mixed materials, eating shellfish... the list goes on. Also, some things not condemned in the Bible as sin, e.g. slavery, are much more worthy of being "sinful" in my opinion.

The Bible was written thousands of years ago by various authors and has since been subject to numerous bouts of editing and translation. We have to look at it analytically and not follow without thought. Although it has to be really hard to choose which parts to adhere to and which not to adhere to... :confused:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Saying 'from the Bible' is useless as you can take any passage and twist it to mean anything.

<3 x
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Sabbath, which people are calling silly, is actually a great commandment. It makes sure that all of us have time away from work to rest and spend time with our family. Not sure why anyone would disagree with a day of rest after a hectic week.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with all of the 7 deadly sins, they're all human nature!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    The Sabbath, which people are calling silly, is actually a great commandment. It makes sure that all of us have time away from work to rest and spend time with our family. Not sure why anyone would disagree with a day of rest after a hectic week.
    It's not the idea of a day off that's a problem. It's proscribing that it should be a particular day, and that the punishment for working on that day is death.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    It's not the idea of a day off that's a problem. It's proscribing that it should be a particular day, and that the punishment for working on that day is death.
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with it being a particular day, surely it's better than anyone just taking a random day off for themselves. Gives the community a chance to come together as a whole, as they used to do with Church. And the death thing, although extreme, isn't part of the Christian faith.

Edit: Btw, in no way does this comment suggest that all work on Sunday's should be stopped, I am currently happy as things stand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And the death thing, although extreme, isn't part of the Christian faith.
    It's in the same place that says the day should be reserved in the first place (Exodus 31:15). Why stick with one and throw out the other?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this shows that if there were a such thing as an absolute morality, that it would condemn us. We change our morals all the time, especially as time goes on. So if there was an ultimate set of laws that say this is right and this is wrong, every single human on this planet would be guilty to the bone.

Ultimately sin means to miss the mark. Our bodies are not where God originally created them. If God created our bodies to operate at 100%, every human today is operating well below that mark, most could be operating at 20%. Yet because we are relative creatures, always looking at ourselves and judging everything by ourselves, we say 20% is very good. Our science can't see the 100% we were created with, because no one operates at 100%.

So God's Law is the ultimate standard. Even if you don't believe in the Ten Commandments, you do acknowledge if there was an absolute morality, it would most certainly condemn you. (Which is exactly what the Law does) We are not a sinner because we sin, we sin because we are sinners. (Sin again meaning, missing the mark. We resemble Adam, but our bodies are not operating as Adam's body was operating at creation)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    It's in the same place that says the day should be reserved in the first place (Exodus 31:15). Why stick with one and throw out the other?
    Because religion evolves. Christians tend to have a much more simplified belief system than the Jews, with the only main two commandments being love God and love thy neighbour. They don't fully follow Mosaic law, although things such as the Ten Commandments are still respected by most Christians. Much of the old rules they follow are linked to that which can make a Righteous Gentile, the Noahide laws. I'm not really an expert on the topic but this is my knowledge as to why Christians don't fully follow the Old Testament or Talmud.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaJane_)
    I disagree with all of the 7 deadly sins, they're all human nature!
    They aren't.

It's not human nature to be sloth, infact it's quite the opposite. Humans are at their best and most productive when they are doing things and keeping busy!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with it being a particular day, surely it's better than anyone just taking a random day off for themselves. Gives the community a chance to come together as a whole, as they used to do with Church. And the death thing, although extreme, isn't part of the Christian faith.

What about doctors, police officers, firefighters etc? It would cause chaos if they all took Sundays off. Then there's also the issue of when people go food shopping, or do any other jobs, if they work Monday - Saturday and so do the supermarket/shop employees meaning the shops are shut on their day off.

A lot of students work Sundays too because they're at college/uni Monday-Friday and therefore work evenings and weekends because it's the only time they can. I personally can't have full days off apart from in the holidays because my job requires me to work day shifts on Saturdays and Sundays since I can only do evenings every other day.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    What about doctors, police officers, firefighters etc? It would cause chaos if they all took Sundays off. Then there's also the issue of when people go food shopping, or do any other jobs, if they work Monday - Saturday and so do the supermarket/shop employees meaning the shops are shut on their day off.

A lot of students work Sundays too because they're at college/uni Monday-Friday and therefore work evenings and weekends because it's the only time they can. I personally can't have full days off apart from in the holidays because my job requires me to work day shifts on Saturdays and Sundays since I can only do evenings every other day.
    I am not advocating no one works on Sundays. Of course that is unfair to people who are non-religious or from other faiths, and also it isn't practical for supermarkets, uniformed public services and students. All I was saying is that having a day of rest is important, which is why the commandment exists, and generally having a specific day where labour laws are restricted can ensure we don't get problems associated with the a longer working week such as stress and depression.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.