Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can anyone read 2 or more books at the same time?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As in read one book in say the morning then read the second book in the evening? Or do you just read one book at a time?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL I've lost count of the books I'm reading at the moment. This has made me come to realise that maybe it's better to stick to 1 or 2 at any one time. The books I've been reading have been done at random really; just depends on what I feel like
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to read one at a time otherwise I just end up merging characters/storylines and that never ends well especially when the two books are quite different
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can just about manage one....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do it all the time. I am reading four books at the moment. It's easily manageable if each book belongs to a different genre. At the moment, I am reading a literary biography, a poetry book by Shelley and two prose fiction books.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can do up to 3 at a time before the interference kicks in and goes so far to even disorientate. But 1 is perferred at any one time.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading about 5 at the moment I don't think I'm going to be able to finish them until exams are over, though; once I start getting into the book, nothing can stop me from reading to the end
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i usually read several books at a time. i've normally got one that i read on bus journeys; something that is not too heavy, so i can easily get into it even considering distracting factors on public transport. usually play texts, biographies or something similar. then i always keep one book at work for my lunch break. as it is only half an hour long, i need something that is divided into lots of chapters, so that i can stop pretty immediately once i start running out of time. philosophical texts, short stories or collections of letters work quite well.
    then i usually have one book of theatrical theory and one novel to read for my degree every week. and then i have one more random book of choice (usually novels or collections of short stories, sometimes poetry) that i read just before going to bed.

on the odd occasion i do manage to have a life in between though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read loads of books at a time, and always have done.

The only problem I find is that sometimes when I'm reading so many at a time, I forget about one and find it months later, half read, even though it was pretty enjoyable, and sometimes once you get out of the swing of a book it can be hard to get back in after a certain amount of time because you lose your connection with the characters and forget bits of the plot, so often I have to re-read the first part of a book.

I do try and stop myself, but when I get a new book I just get too excited about it to not read it so all of my other ones get neglected and I start to feel like a bad book owner.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    I'm reading about 5 at the moment I don't think I'm going to be able to finish them until exams are over, though; once I start getting into the book, nothing can stop me from reading to the end
    This is a problem I have; once I get into a book, hours can disappear and I'm getting closer and closer to the end, but morning is also getting closer and closer. I seem to be physically unable to just read 1 or 2 chapters of a good book. I NEED to find out what happens next, even if it's instead of doing my work at a reasonable time. This means that near exam or coursework time, I have to stop myself from reading. I have a big stockpile of books for the summer though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I read I tend to become completely engrossed in that book, so if I begin reading more than one I tend to lose interest of all of them. SO no I only read one at a time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm midway through quite a few books. They all have different 'moods' so I read them according to what I want to read at the time. I have a horrible problem with buying books and starting to read them when they arrive but then another one comes and I have to start it! I have a really good memory for things I've read, though, so that helps keeping plots and characters organised.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yea i read a few books at a time. i don't really find it difficult to follow the stories i guess its the same as watching different tv dramas and soaps really, i watch different ones of those every week but still follow them and keep the stories seperate so it works in the same way
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get into the habit of reading one fiction book and one non-fiction book at the same time.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can never really cope if trying to read more than one at once. I usually get so confused and take ages to finish them; it's a lot quicker and enjoyable to read one at a time. If reading two or more at a time, I start to merge the characters and plot and create a totally new book in my mind. So I definitely stay with one!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I quite often do 2 at a time but not really any more than that. If I'm having trouble putting one of them down though I will usually finish that one then go back to the other.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    No :rolleyes:

I get the plots confused :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a book pile by my bed of about 10 books... I have no idea how I managed that.

I like to plough on through just one at a time now though, and then go through a chain of ~related reading~ so to speak.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I tend to read one book at a time, but atm I'm reading a fiction and non fiction book at the same time which is OK because I tend to only read a very small section of the non fiction book at one time
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading two books right now. The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell and Pride and Prejudice (yes, I'm a guy ) by Jane Austen.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.