The Student Room Group

My maths GCSE?

ok so i got a grade B in my maths gcse. i have a chance to retake it in june but i dont know if i should. i really want a grade A but of got other exams too! shall i stick with a B and concentrate on my other subjects or shall i give it a go?
what would you do if you were in my position? any suggestions is appreciated (:
Reply 1
depends why you want or need the A in maths

are you hoping to carry on with maths
are you looking at universities that need more As than you have/will get

or is it just personal pride

I guess the question that you could ask yourself is "the exam the day after maths ... am I willing to drop a grade in that in order to gain the grade in maths"
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
depends why you want or need the A in maths

are you hoping to carry on with maths
are you looking at universities that need more As than you have/will get

or is it just personal pride

I guess the question that you could ask yourself is "the exam the day after maths ... am I willing to drop a grade in that in order to gain the grade in maths"

i wasnt that happy with a B tho. tbh im just trying to get as many As as possible.. i think the highest grade counts but im not sure.
Reply 3
I would stick with the B. It's all you need to do it at A-Level etc, so focus on doing well/passing your others!
Original post by Hannah196
i wasnt that happy with a B tho. tbh im just trying to get as many As as possible.. i think the highest grade counts but im not sure.

Hi I think its always worth a go to do your maths GCSE again I got my result for what I did in March and got an A. I did it in June got a B I think maths is less distracting if you spend 1 hour from now till June you should be fine
Reply 5
Original post by kaneboy
I would stick with the B. It's all you need to do it at A-Level etc, so focus on doing well/passing your others!

thanks thats what i wanted to do but i dont want to have that 'what if' question after.. il just speak to my teacher tomorrow (:
Reply 6
If your looking to do normal A-level maths then I think a B is ok, if FM then depending an your college, some allow A to learn FM.

Seems that you just want an A so it looks good. I guess some Unis would look at your GCSEs but if you work hard at A-levels then maybe you can get in. Depends on the Uni & course and how popular it is.

Quick Reply

Latest