The Student Room Group

Eating food with past use by date

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pawsies
Best before dates can be used up months after expiry.

Aye before their prices weren't as good, I used to order from like likes of foodbargains and approvedfood. Websites which sell food best it's best before date for a low price. I've had cases of crisps two-three months past best before..you wouldn't know if you didn't read the packet.
Reply 21
Original post by joey11223
Aye before their prices weren't as good, I used to order from like likes of foodbargains and approvedfood. Websites which sell food best it's best before date for a low price. I've had cases of crisps two-three months past best before..you wouldn't know if you didn't read the packet.

Heh, everywhere I shop (home bargains, b&m, poundland etc) all have produce nearly at the expiry date that the big stores won't sell but they will for cheap prices. 10p crisps? Go on then :p:
I would eat it.
Original post by Pawsies
Best before dates can be used up months after expiry. Crisps/biscuits may go stale but things like pasta/rice and dry produce will be absolutely fine. Obviously check to ensure they aren't spoilt but I've used many things past the best before and not suffered.

Weirdly enough my dad eats cheese/yoghurt that has pretty much gone off and he's fine. His immune system must be pretty strong.

haha yeah, i meant in this case where the food is fish. :smile: eep, i couldn't do that with dairy products!
i dont eat fish so as to how long fish is ok for im not sure but generally my rules are....

if the date on the item is a few days after purchase... so fresh stuff... will generally only be ok for a few days around the date on it, id love to say they all last as long as they say but sometimes things are gone a bit far for me before the date on them....

fruit and veg goes on squishyness/colour - but if cooking often fine once they have gone squishy...
chicken - colour & smell - within a few days, were not talking a week or so later, i dont want to expose my nose to it :| lol
sausages - i never ever eat past the date, they'd be ok to, but sausages taste weird very fast, and im really fussy...

if the date is long time after its made, so dried stuff, pasta, crisps,.. like the couscous i ate on sunday best before date was 2007, it still tasted yummy :biggrin: its dried, its been sealed, so its fine :smile:
x
Reply 25
Dates mean nothing, I never look at dates.
The only reason those dates are there is to protect the company and to give you a very rough estimate well before the food actually will go off.

How to assess food:
Does it look ok?
Does it smell ok?
Make it
Does it taste ok?
Eat it, it's fine.

What is with people thinking these dates are magical and the food is instantly inedible after such a date.
To anyone who throws out beef that has gone a little brown. DONT DO IT!

My butcher said that it is the best time to eat it, has more flavour and is more tender apparently.

"When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it".

"When raw meat goes truly bad, on the other hand, other signs of spoilage are usually present, including an off odor, a sticky or tacky feel, or a slimy appearance".

:wink:
I watched a programme where people made food out of other people's food waste (due to use by/best before dates) and they were all perfectly fine. Learnt a lot about it actually, most food is okay for a period of time after the date, especially if chilled or frozen. I wouldn't recommend milk after the use by date though, eurgh!
Reply 28
Original post by Jennie027
I watched a programme where people made food out of other people's food waste (due to use by/best before dates) and they were all perfectly fine. Learnt a lot about it actually, most food is okay for a period of time after the date, especially if chilled or frozen. I wouldn't recommend milk after the use by date though, eurgh!

I've had milk a day after the use by date and it's still been fine.
Reply 29
Original post by Pawsies

Weirdly enough my dad eats cheese/yoghurt that has pretty much gone off and he's fine. His immune system must be pretty strong.

The live bacteria could even be benefiting his immune system
Yesterday I ate smoked mackerel which was due Easter Monday, and I've had no problems.
Original post by babygirl110
I've had milk a day after the use by date and it's still been fine.

I intended to mean more than a day after. Obviously if it smells/looks okay it's fine to drink :smile:
Original post by 331sam331
To anyone who throws out beef that has gone a little brown. DONT DO IT!

My butcher said that it is the best time to eat it, has more flavour and is more tender apparently.

"When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it".

"When raw meat goes truly bad, on the other hand, other signs of spoilage are usually present, including an off odor, a sticky or tacky feel, or a slimy appearance".

:wink:

Exactly. People go for the bright red meat when infact that is the worst one.

Quick Reply

Latest